Changing the workout program question

codered5

Awards
So we all know that you are supposed to mix up your workout programs every 6-8 weeks in order to avoid plateaus...but what do you guys do for your lifting programs to help with this? I currently do 3 full body workouts a week and idk if I should be switching to entirely different exercises every two months? I mean I still should keep squats, DL, bench, etc no matter what right? Does upping the weight count as mixing it up? Please help!

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Yes you could change your "program."

What I like to do every 2-3 months is change the weight/number of reps.

So, heavy weight/low-med rep range. Then, medium weight/high-med rep range.

I constantly switch up my excercises for individual muscle groups.

Also, in my experiences, 3 full body workouts is over-working my muscles. (unless your taking something hormonal) There just isn't enough time to fully recover.....your results might vary though.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So we all know that you are supposed to mix up your workout programs every 6-8 weeks in order to avoid plateaus...but what do you guys do for your lifting programs to help with this? I currently do 3 full body workouts a week and idk if I should be switching to entirely different exercises every two months? I mean I still should keep squats, DL, bench, etc no matter what right? Does upping the weight count as mixing it up? Please help!
I adapt my training programmes as required, and no session is ever the same as the session the week before, constantly changing, albeit the same, if you know what I mean - another way that you can "change" your training to keep getting progress.

Changing does not mean a complete overhaul, but something as little as adapting splits, exercises used, order of exercises, sets and reps, recovery periods, weight used, etc.

You can keep those exercises, yes, or do variations of them, etc. Yes, adding weight counts as "change".

~Rosie~