Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
They both lead to different levels of adaptation, and when you combine them your overall power output is optimised.

Simplistically, LISS leads to adaptations at the muscular level including capilliarisation and cellular energy production which differ from the adaptations from intervals. Additionally you can do a lot more volume with much less stress on your system, and as such it can aid recovery from more intense work.

There's decades of research on the subject, but most successful high level endurance athletes centre their training around LISS, even those whose events are on the short side (<10 min).
Depends on the W:R. 1:0.5 leads to enhanced oxidative capacity due to the reduced time for recovery between bouts.

You can compare data to the olympics in the 70's where the primary basis for training for the marathon was LISS whereas now with a huge focus on intervals at greater intensity with short rest periods, marathon times have dropped dramatically. I disagree that modern day athletes centre training around LISS as a lot of the new programs we have implemented for short duration are primarily interval based with some LISS for recovery. Specificity is key.

But thats just the people I see.

test112

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the W:R. 1:0.5 leads to enhanced oxidative capacity due to the reduced time for recovery between bouts.

You can compare data to the olympics in the 70's where the primary basis for training for the marathon was LISS whereas now with a huge focus on intervals at greater intensity with short rest periods, marathon times have dropped dramatically. I disagree that modern day athletes centre training around LISS as a lot of the new programs we have implemented for long duration are primarily interval based with some LISS for recovery.

But thats just the people I see.
When you say the LISS was 'for recovery', that's kinda my point; it can feel like recovery even though it's eliciting real training adaptations. It feels like you're getting something for free because the focus is on volume and movement quality rather than just flogging yourself. There is obviously a time commitment however.

Both LISS and intervals are necessary to fully realise your aerobic potential, and the optimal ratio depends on the athlete as well as the activity, event duration, minimising injury, etc. and of course there's also high aerobic and anaerobic threshold work for extended periods (20-40 mins) which doesn't fall strictly under either category.

I think that the focus needs to be on the right balance rather than either/or. When I found my optimal balance, I was shocked at how much of my training time felt 'easy' and yet I still got fitter than I had ever been.

As a rule, people who focus entirely on intervals will get fit quickly, but their progress will plateau unless they have an aerobic base founded on LISS to go along with their interval training.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
When you say the LISS was 'for recovery', that's kinda my point; it can feel like recovery even though it's eliciting real training adaptations. It feels like you're getting something for free because the focus is on volume and movement quality rather than just flogging yourself. There is obviously a time commitment however.

Both LISS and intervals are necessary to fully realise your aerobic potential, and the optimal ratio depends on the athlete as well as the activity, event duration, minimising injury, etc. and of course there's also high aerobic and anaerobic threshold work for extended periods (20-40 mins) which doesn't fall strictly under either category.

I think that the focus needs to be on the right balance rather than either/or. When I found my optimal balance, I was shocked at how much of my training time felt 'easy' and yet I still got fitter than I had ever been.

As a rule, people who focus entirely on intervals will get fit quickly, but their progress will plateau unless they have an aerobic base founded on LISS to go along with their interval training.
Ah gotcha. That I agree with :D

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reps for you test112. I like your thoroughness and approach on this.