Carbs and 5 hours out before bed

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
My training coach for my upcoming physique show is stating to avoid heavy carbs any later than 5 hours pre-bed. Meaning no cream of rice, sweet potato, brown rice, etc. Just protein and green leaf vegetables. I'm wondering the good and the bad with this. Can one have unstable blood sugars at night and wake up abruptly? I'm relatively lean already and going to bulk up for a month and then slowly cut away carbs pre competition. Like to know your thoughts on this concept.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You coach is not up to date with the current body of evidence. You can either ask him for evidence or his reasoning to this, drop him and get a new coach, or just do as he says.

It won't hurt to avoid carbs before bed but it most likely won't help either.

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm going to do some carbs sometime during that period especially with my initial bulking phase

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My training coach for my upcoming physique show is stating to avoid heavy carbs any later than 5 hours pre-bed. Meaning no cream of rice, sweet potato, brown rice, etc. Just protein and green leaf vegetables. I'm wondering the good and the bad with this. Can one have unstable blood sugars at night and wake up abruptly? I'm relatively lean already and going to bulk up for a month and then slowly cut away carbs pre competition. Like to know your thoughts on this concept.
Whats a "heavy carb"? Is that like a potato? What about fluffy potato? :D

Just messing, its neither good or bad; depends on the person. Low blood sugar shouldn't wake you UNLESS you are super sensitive to it. I don't eat carbs at dinner and am fine till 10am the next day.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can eat carbs when you like. I have carbs right before bed some nights due to my training schedule. Haven't seen any negative effects.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
hit your macros and fiber by the time you go to bed, doesn't matter when just hit them. Easy as that. I personally have ice cream some nights right before bed brings me back to my childhood and i wake up the same. Get micros in and make sure fiber is above 35g and have fun eating.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You coach is not up to date with the current body of evidence. You can either ask him for evidence or his reasoning to this, drop him and get a new coach, or just do as he says.

agree 100%

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html
http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
http://iifym.com/stop-eating-carbs-at-night/
http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

how one wants to allocate their calories is personal preference, some like to backload their carbs, some like to keep them consistent in all meals, and some like to eat them earlier in the day. I would state that when choosing when to eat your carbs allocate them to make sure you are giving your body optimal performance in the gym and allowing for maximum recovery by placing the majority around your training (if this suits your body best). Give the body what it wants when you are training IMO would be the most logical thing to do, some people for instance do better training with a P+F meal, some dwell off carbs pre-workout.

Try multiple things, see how you react, take notes and adjust as necessary.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I fit my pop tarts in early,way before bed time and I'm doing okay :)

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Broscience 101.
Just like the 30 minute anabolic window post workout.

Drop Set

Awards

Agreed. How far out are you hardtoget? If you go that low in carbs, your metabolism will shut down. When you start your pre-contest diet you will want to cycle your carbs to keep metabolism/T 3 production high. Right now, you need labs regarding TSH and T3/T4.

Some people are different, but I cycled carbs, 550, 450, 400, 350, 300. I stated at 230 lbs at 10% bfat. You may need to go lower as MMV.

Start with 450, 350, 300, 250, 200. Run the MK-677 morning and night. Get on some real gear, or at least a test base and then add PH's.

Actually, I have never seen someone build a competitive physique using only PH's. Post a pic and change my mind.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. How far out are you hardtoget? If you go that low in carbs, your metabolism will shut down. When you start your pre-contest diet you will want to cycle your carbs to keep metabolism/T 3 production high. Right now, you need labs regarding TSH and T3/T4.

Some people are different, but I cycled carbs, 550, 450, 400, 350, 300. I stated at 230 lbs at 10% bfat. You may need to go lower as MMV.

Start with 450, 350, 300, 250, 200. Run the MK-677 morning and night. Get on some real gear, or at least a test base and then add PH's.

Actually, I have never seen someone build a competitive physique using only PH's. Post a pic and change my mind.
What

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. How far out are you hardtoget? If you go that low in carbs, your metabolism will shut down. When you start your pre-contest diet you will want to cycle your carbs to keep metabolism/T 3 production high. Right now, you need labs regarding TSH and T3/T4. Some people are different, but I cycled carbs, 550, 450, 400, 350, 300. I stated at 230 lbs at 10% bfat. You may need to go lower as MMV. Start with 450, 350, 300, 250, 200. Run the MK-677 morning and night. Get on some real gear, or at least a test base and then add PH's. Actually, I have never seen someone build a competitive physique using only PH's. Post a pic and change my mind.
welp that went from a carbohydrate timing question in the health and nutrition section to the gear he should run because you cannot build a competitive physique without the use of androgens....

Drop Set

Awards
welp that went from a carbohydrate timing question in the health and nutrition section to the gear he should run because you cannot build a competitive physique without the use of androgens....
Let me explain: Yes, I have seen guys get good gains w PHormones. However, you will see better gains if you run real D bol, T bol, A drol etc.

And real gear actually has less sides and less liver toxicity than PH's. I have seen some really crazy liver panels from PH's.

Now, having said that, even with real steroids, I would never advocate running orals alone. Even if you dose twice a day you will still not have the kind of steady levels you get from injectables.

That is (partly) the reason that you always run a testosterone base regardless of the type of oral you are taking.

Now, if you run a test base of 4-500 mgs a week, and THEN stack it with a PH, yes, you should (assuming training and diet are on point) get excellent gains.

Now, back to diet. Lets say you are running test and a PH. You are training hard and consistently. You eat quality clean food. 175 grams of carbs/day is way, way too little, especially is all your other metabolic indicators are good.

You should be getting regular lab work, especially if you are taking PH's, as I have seen them to be much more liver toxic than regular gear.

Look at your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Endocrinologists have established that the range should be between 0.3-3 (ml/UL).

The lower the score the better. Mine is 1.77, and I eat 5k calories a day. If your TSH output is good, you will be able to lose fat eating much much more than 175 grams/carbs a day.

175 will send a signal saying "Oh ****, I am not getting enough food, better slow my metabolism down".

Now, if you are pre-contest, and say 5 weeks out and need to cut carbs more, you will add T3 to keep your metabolism running. Just remember that T3 is not something to be played with. It is preferable to instead cycle carbs and increase cardio IMO.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Let me explain: Yes, I have seen guys get good gains w PHormones. However, you will see better gains if you run real D bol, T bol, A drol etc.

And real gear actually has less sides and less liver toxicity than PH's. I have seen some really crazy liver panels from PH's.

Now, having said that, even with real steroids, I would never advocate running orals alone. Even if you dose twice a day you will still not have the kind of steady levels you get from injectables.

That is (partly) the reason that you always run a testosterone base regardless of the type of oral you are taking.

Now, if you run a test base of 4-500 mgs a week, and THEN stack it with a PH, yes, you should (assuming training and diet are on point) get excellent gains.

Now, back to diet. Lets say you are running test and a PH. You are training hard and consistently. You eat quality clean food. 175 grams of carbs/day is way, way too little, especially is all your other metabolic indicators are good.

You should be getting regular lab work, especially if you are taking PH's, as I have seen them to be much more liver toxic than regular gear.

Look at your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Endocrinologists have established that the range should be between 0.3-3 (ml/UL).

The lower the score the better. Mine is 1.77, and I eat 5k calories a day. If your TSH output is good, you will be able to lose fat eating much much more than 175 grams/carbs a day.

175 will send a signal saying "Oh ****, I am not getting enough food, better slow my metabolism down".

Now, if you are pre-contest, and say 5 weeks out and need to cut carbs more, you will add T3 to keep your metabolism running. Just remember that T3 is not something to be played with. It is preferable to instead cycle carbs and increase cardio IMO.
But he wasnt even discussing AAS lol

Also the second half im just confused about. Are you saying low carb shuts down TSH?

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
Was the OP a carb question or a how, what and when to use gear question? Going to get my contacts checked..

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Lets just get AAS out of the discussion all right. This is about diet and quite honestly im not competing in a NPC show its an all natural show. Im in this just for the experience. With that being said im going to modify my diet a bit as I review my gains weekly.

Drop Set

Awards
Was the OP a carb question or a how, what and when to use gear question? Going to get my contacts checked..
Carbs. But gear is very, very much related to the metabolization of carbs. I had a PM convo with him regarding the impact of gear upon the ability of the body to process carbs.

The 2 are contingent upon each other. You do understand that, yes?

If you are running gear and training hard there is no way that 175 grams of carbs are sufficient for recovery and growth. Impossible.

Over the many many years (37) I have been around this sport, one of the most common mistakes I see is that guys over diet, especially new guys.

The OP is 5' 10 and 187 lbs running various PH's. He needs to eat more, not less.

Drop Set

Awards
Lets just get AAS out of the discussion all right. This is about diet and quite honestly im not competing in a NPC show its an all natural show. Im in this just for the experience. With that being said im going to modify my diet a bit as I review my gains weekly.
You are taking multiple PH's.....you are not natural, and it is unfair to compete against guys who are. You have also run multiple steroid cycles of test stacked with other compounds. You had problems with ester clearance and lack of HCG prior to SERM use, and I was trying to help you to do a pct that would restore your endocrine system properly.

I offered to help you (I won 2 NPC national qualifiers....I also competed naturally in drug tested shows prior NPC...currently prepping guys for physique). You have done a bunch of performance enhancing drugs.

It is extremely immoral to compete against guys who are natural. If you are enhanced, step up to the NPC, don't sandbag guys who are natural. Its not right.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But he wasnt even discussing AAS lol

Also the second half im just confused about. Are you saying low carb shuts down TSH?
That is a common mistake made by people. I had a back and forth with a competitive BB'er on here a while back about it. They see it as low CHO decreases metabolism via decreased TSH -> decreased T3. Reality is decreased kcals is what causes decreased RMR