Fat, Carbs, and Maintenance

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
A little background, I’m 5’10, 170lbs, 12-13% BF, 38 years old. Basically my question is how much fat and carbs do you consume to maintain, cut, and bulk? Do you prefer low carb high fat or high carb low fat? I was eating 4+ servings of fruit a day and 2/3-3/4 cup of nuts each day. I was feeling almost bloated some days and decided I wanted a change. I took out my morning cup of grapes and replaced with 3/4 cup of white rice. Took out 1/3+ Cup of nuts at lunch and replaced with 1.5 slices of Ezekiel bread. That was the only two changes and want to see how that does for me.

It got me thinking about how much fats and fruits (due to sugar) I should consume and if something like white rice and Ezekiel bread isa better sub for them. I’ve never really done a lot of carbs in my diet so to up my carbs sinew to me.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I prefer high carb low fat but typically I end up getting a moderate amount of each unless I'm dialed in on diet. Typically if I eat 5meals with 50 g of carbs in 50 g of protein at each meal I'll get enough fat as a byproduct of the meat I'm eating or whatever Trace amounts are in the carb sources, a little bit of olive oil that I cook my vegetables in ect.

What's your goal? Are you trying to look more like a bodybuilder or a physique athlete?

Because the large majority of them eat the same moderate to high protein, high carb and low fat.

They eat white jasmine rice, oats and potatoes as there carb sources.

You won't find many physique athletes eating bread on a regular basis or eating fruit on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that you can't use those as your carb sources because you can but there's a reason why they don't and it's got more to do with your gut health and bloating and stuff like that.

The reason that the majority of these guys get the majority of their carbs from white rice is because it's easily digested in and out quick

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I prefer high carb low fat but typically I end up getting a moderate amount of each unless I'm dialed in on diet. Typically if I eat 5meals with 50 g of carbs in 50 g of protein at each meal I'll get enough fat as a byproduct of the meat I'm eating or whatever Trace amounts are in the carb sources, a little bit of olive oil that I cook my vegetables in ect.

What's your goal? Are you trying to look more like a bodybuilder or a physique athlete?

Because the large majority of them eat the same moderate to high protein, high carb and low fat.

They eat white jasmine rice, oats and potatoes as there carb sources.

You won't find many physique athletes eating bread on a regular basis or eating fruit on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that you can't use those as your carb sources because you can but there's a reason why they don't and it's got more to do with your gut health and bloating and stuff like that.

The reason that the majority of these guys get the majority of their carbs from white rice is because it's easily digested in and out quick
To dive in deeper to this my main goals are to increase my press, squat, front squat, and deadlift numbers while maintaining or decreasing my body fat. I do a power building type of program, 4x/week training.

Right now I wanna maintain an then go in a bulk come September. I’m just messing around with carbs, fats, and sugars. I have sat at 170lbs +/- 5lbs for 10-15 years.

Eat about 2400 calories a day and eat the same foods breakfast through afternoon snack every day. Only thing that changes is dinner. I have to meal prep on sundays as I work 45 minutes away and have longer days. Leave at 530am get home at 430-5pm so I need everything packed and ready.

My macros BEFORE dinner are 1930 calories, 138 protein, 194 carbs, 70 fat, 87g sugar. I could add in a protein shake, dinner probably gives me another 400-500 calories.

I recently swapped rice for my grapes and 1.5 pieces of exekial bread for my 1/3 cup of nuts. Trying to figure out the best sources of carbs so that when I go to add to it I add quality carb sources while having minimum sugar. Also trying to figure out how much fat to take in.

What do you look for in regards to macro percentage of calories when in a cut vs. bulk vs maintenance phase as well as total sugar?

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Can rolled oats paired with water and
Microwaved work or does it need to be slow cooked oats? Any easy way to cook yams, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. If I have to spend time cooking I just won’t do it but if I can bulk prep like BBQ, pressure cook, or microwave I’m good with that.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your asking to build muscle, get stronger and loose bodyfat at the same time. Not happening

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Your asking to build muscle, get stronger and loose bodyfat at the same time. Not happening
No, I am looking to get stronger while maintaining my current BF. Then inthe fall looking to bulk up. When I go into a bulk I will look to increase strength and size more. I want to play around with carbs, fats, and sugars right now.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What I am really trying to figure out is a starting point for a cut, maintenance, and bulk in regards to protein, carbs, and fat as a % of total calories, or based off body weight. Also, what carb sources are best and how much natural sugar do people consume at each stage.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Here's a good way to go about figuring out maintenance. Write down everything you are currently eating every day for a week and don't try to change things. Be honest so we know what you have been averaging up to this point. After 7 days of writing down all your food, total all the calories up and divided by 7.
Whatever number you come up with is your average calories per day.

Now take your current body weight and that's how many grams of protein you want to eat. 200lbs = 200gm. I would evenly divide up your remaining calories between protein and fat to start. Now start there and make adjustments week by week. It takes a little while to figure it out.

If you want to set number to start with I like to tell guys to eat their body weight and protein, and get about 60 to 80 g of fat per day. And get the rest of their calories from mostly carbs like rice, oats.