Caffeine Guidelines/Diet Coke

rick055

Awards
  • Established
What should you limit your caffeine intake to?

I have a serious diet coke habit and wouldn't be surprised if I down 10 cans a day which is about 500 mg caffeine (46 mg/can). I rarely drink coffee.

This is one of the biggest dietary hurdles I face right now, I know all that nutra sweet can't be good, and I'm going one step at a time.

But what about the caffeine?

Any suggestions for cutting down?

One of the main reason I ask is I feel like my heart pumps weird sometimes (an arrythmia?) and was wondering if it could be caffeine.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
What should you limit your caffeine intake to?

I have a serious diet coke habit and wouldn't be surprised if I down 10 cans a day which is about 500 mg caffeine (46 mg/can). I rarely drink coffee.

This is one of the biggest dietary hurdles I face right now, I know all that nutra sweet can't be good, and I'm going one step at a time.

But what about the caffeine?

Any suggestions for cutting down?

One of the main reason I ask is I feel like my heart pumps weird sometimes (an arrythmia?) and was wondering if it could be caffeine.
Before 1972, in Poland I would drink coffe on outings or holidays, that is rarely, coffe=expensive there.
1972 I came to USA and friend of mine convinced me that coffe is no newer mind drink. For the next six months I would drink 32oz/day or more.
Then internal shaking and tension started, then I would get extermely angry just sitting by my desk in the office.
It took me a while to put coffee and anger together as I "knew" that it could not be a coffee.

Well when I cut down on coffee everything went back to normal.

Love Dunkin Donuts regular= coffee + cream + sugar

But on daily basis I use heaping 3 teaspoons of Instant Maxwel House, this is long term.
Over that amount is probably too much for me.

Not sure how to translate amount of caffeine in 3 teaspoonfools to number of diet Coke cans.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Caffeine is very tough on the adrenals...which is problematic for a lot of us. I had to give up all coffee and caffeine last august after being a regular user. not fun, but I think its been very helpful in letting my adrenals heal.

Also, for those who are coffee drinks, coffee is very acidic and hard on the stomach for many of us.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Really excellent answers guys, thanks.

I had no idea coffee was tough on the adrenals, too. Interestingly, I think part of my problem may have been adrenal fatigue.

I need to start cutting back, slowly. I hear caffeine withdrawl can be a real b**ch.

I start today.

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
I am trying to limit it as I have heard caffeine/soda also deletes potassium. Unofficially, my BP has dropped from maybe 126/82 to 117/74 or so by decreasing caffeine and eating 10 or so bananas a week. I was drinking Celcius energy drinks at 200mg caffeine each + free diet cokes that my employee stocks for us to keep us alert and working.

I still take NO-Xplode before running and sometimes before working out. One scoop has 85mg caffeine, but the NO-Xplode also causes a bowel movement within 5 min, which is desirable to happen before running not during running.

MarkLA

Awards
but the NO-Xplode also causes a bowel movement within 5 min, which is desirable to happen before running not during running.
It causes a bowel movement in 5 minutes and its called NO-Explode sounds like they should use the NO. lol