AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
falls apart? lol

Ok, here we go:

Isis seems to have been originally a virgin (or, perhaps, sexless) goddess, and in the later period of Egyptian religion she was again considered a virgin goddess, demanding very strict abstinence from her devotees.
Horus was said to be the parthenogenetic child of the Virgin Mother, Isis. In the catacombs of Rome black statues of this Egyptian divine Mother and Infant still survive from the early Christian worship of the Virgin and Child to which they were converted. In these the Virgin Mary is represented as a black regress, and often with the face veiled in the true Isis fashion. When Christianity absorbed the pagan myths and rites it adopted also the pagan statues, and renamed them as saints, or even as apostles.

Statues of the goddess Isis with the child Horus in her arms were common in Egypt, and were exported to all neighbouring and to many remote countries, where they are still to be found with new names attached to them-Christian in Europe, Buddhist in Turkestan, Taoist in China and Japan. Figures of the virgin Isis do duty as representations of Mary, of Hariti, of Kuan-Yin, of Kwannon, and of other virgin mothers of gods.
They are the same story. The early christians, in an attempt to rid themselves of the Roman persecution, added in many different pagan beliefs to tie themselves to other religions. (check the catacombs of Rome for interesting view of the depictions of Jesus as a roman).

Also of note, is that the cross was used by horus as well in the form of the Ankh as the sign of eternal life.

Furthermore, check into Mithras, Quetzalcoatl, and Sol Invictus for other ealier references to Jesus and Christianity before it existed :)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't understand how one can discount their belief system citing flaws within story lines and defend their 2 thousand year old eye witness accounts as true. A being never met is given all the benefits of the doubt but as soon as you hear someone claiming to be God and even 'showing miracles of healing' is immediately tossed aside as a nut.

I believe there's a supreme being that unfolded this universe but the Bible seems to be a massive undertaking of human hands and devices.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't understand how one can discount their belief system citing flaws within story lines and defend their 2 thousand year old eye witness accounts as true. A being never met is given all the benefits of the doubt but as soon as you hear someone claiming to be God and even 'showing miracles of healing' is immediately tossed aside as a nut.

I believe there's a supreme being that unfolded this universe but the Bible seems to be a massive undertaking of human hands and devices.
I definitely understand where you're coming from as I have had plenty of skeptical times in my life, but the more I question, and the more I seek answers, there more I see truth in it.

While there are a lot of arguments against the Bible that seem sound, there seems to always be something that's strategically left out.

It's much more easy to try to destroy the Bible's credibility when you have that agenda rather than an unbiased, or even "don't know where I stand" person. CS Lewis was an atheist who later became a Christian, and that man forgot more things in his lifetime than I could ever hope to know. If anyone could have destroyed the Bible, it would have been him, but the brilliant man he was saw the truth in it.

I don't at all have a problem with people trying to discredit the Bible. I believe we were given the minds we have to do such things...seek out the truth.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I definitely understand where you're coming from as I have had plenty of skeptical times in my life, but the more I question, and the more I seek answers, there more I see truth in it.
Just like just about everything else in life, you can see whatever you wish to see and convincing others to see as you do is damn near impossible. I have no problems with anyone's belief or lack thereof. My problems are with those who are not content with their belief but must ridicule those with differing views.