Best martial art?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Because like many styles out their they have been watered down for one reason or another to a flashy little number to get the most paying customer through the door as possible. This is not true martial arts.

Mas Oyama could apply his art to a combat situation almost effortlessly

http://www.uskyokushin.com/sosai.htm
You notice he also trained in boxing and judo, and engaged in a lot of actual FIGHTING, learning and adopting techniques which were effective from whoever he fought? At that point calling what somoene does a single style is sort of silly.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Kyokushin Karate isn't as impractical as most traditional martial arts. He took the art and made it more practical by, as exnihilo said, applying the skills and weeding out the crap. Still not a great art, but the footwork ain't half bad ;)

Comparing Kyokushin to the other traditional MA is almost like comparing Jui Jutsu to BJJ. Similar name, not on the same level.

Mars

Awards
You notice he also trained in boxing and judo, and engaged in a lot of actual FIGHTING, learning and adopting techniques which were effective from whoever he fought? At that point calling what somoene does a single style is sort of silly.

I agree 110%. In the end it really doesn’t matter what style you use it how you use it. We have 2 arms and 2 legs and fighting is fighting, what name we put on it really doesn’t make a difference nor does which one is best. I prefer the Okinawan arts such as Goju, is it better than any other form? That’s subjective based only on ones own opinion. And an assertion such as if you put the Great Grand Masters from every style in a tournament the winner would be of the best style doesn’t even answer the question because even the best can lose once
(Dan Gable U of Iowa Wrestling Coach http://www.dangable.com/dan_gable_p2.html ).

So if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Mars, most martial arts don't even teach you certain skills you need to know to become a truly excellent fighter - why handicap yourself?

Since you are in to traditional styles, you may need to spend a year or two learning boxing and wrestling so you can gain a better understanding of the meaning of that comment.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
PCness should not be much of an issue in fighting arts.

Pride, UFC, etc have put an end to all of that debate--well, in the eyes of any open minded person objectively determine the truth without worrying about romantic fantasies being true...ie..triple spinning back kick crap :)

Not tryin' to be a dick, I've done traditional....it was completely impractical.

fairtex

Awards
Muay Thai, BJJ, Pentjak Silat...end of thread.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Penjak silat lol. I'm sure the kembangans must be quite useful.

fairtex

Awards
Penjak silat lol. I'm sure the kembangans must be quite useful.
No they are not, but not all Silat styles including Indonesian and Southern Phillipines use the Kembangan. But if you are looking for an aggressive and straight forward system of combat including an extensive system in itself on knife fighting and defense then most Silat systems can be an integral part of your repertoire.

I have been studying Silat for nearly five years and it has been a perfect addition to my BJJ and Muay Thai training, especially the knife training, which as you know Muay Thai and BJJ do not cover.

size

Awards
  • Established
Fairtex............."When in doubt, choke em out" is a great quote.
:thumbsup:

Coolkat

Awards
Good question.

I did some research, took Jujitsu when younger and some Aikido when older. I am going to start JEET KUNE DO as soon as my shoulder heals a bit more. It puts together the best of the best of the martial arts and as applied to real sistations, not katas, competition rules and the other junk.

The school I'll attend incorporates; Muay Thai ( Thai Boxing- hands, feet, knees, elbows), Pentjak Silat ( re-direction and deflection of movement ), Kali ( blades/weapons ), Savate ( French bowing-whole foot kicks), Jun Fan ( Gung-Fu-Bruce Lee), and brazilian Ju-Jitsu ( groung fighting, submission holds, joint locks, chokeholds ).

When researching schools in my area via the international JKD website, it seems all schools have different combinations of specific martial arts the draw from.

Any thoughts ???

Coolkat

Awards
Good question.

I did some research, took Jujitsu when younger and some Aikido when older. I am going to start JEET KUNE DO as soon as my shoulder heals a bit more. It puts together the best of the best of the martial arts and as applied to real sistations, not katas, competition rules and the other junk.

The school I'll attend incorporates; Muay Thai ( Thai Boxing- hands, feet, knees, elbows), Pentjak Silat ( re-direction and deflection of movement ), Kali ( blades/weapons ), Savate ( French boxing-whole foot kicks), Jun Fan ( Gung-Fu-Bruce Lee), and brazilian Ju-Jitsu ( groung fighting, submission holds, joint locks, chokeholds ).

When researching schools in my area via the international JKD website, it seems all schools have different combinations of specific martial arts they draw from.

Any thoughts ???

Coolkat

Awards
Good question.

The school I'll attend incorporates; Muay Thai ( Thai Boxing- hands, feet, knees, elbows), Pentjak Silat ( re-direction and deflection of movement ), Kali ( blades/weapons ), Savate ( French boxing-whole foot kicks), Jun Fan ( Gung-Fu-Bruce Lee), and brazilian Ju-Jitsu ( groung fighting, submission holds, joint locks, chokeholds ).

When researching schools in my area via the international JKD website, it seems all schools have different combinations of specific martial arts they draw from.

Any thoughts ???

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
rock a mother fukcer in the head

I love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and would say its the best for the ground. IMO best standup is Muay Thai Kickboxing. The 2 combined are lethal.
completly agree! i do those 2 styles plus im learning judo.

:bruce2:

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
JKD

I did kyokushin for a couple years, just didn't interest me.

rcaz01

Awards
Whatever saves your butt from taking a beat down!

Koscheck is a great example! I don't care what mythical style of MA you know that guy is going to take you down and inflict a lot of damage...

If I had to pick: Muay Thai and grappling, with some weapons skills added to the mix such as Krav Maga as was already mentioned.

Of course I am biased as well!

Anyone else have a hard time believeing Combat Ki? I am not trying to get anyone worked up but I just can't see changing the laws of physics.
If you get one of your nuts busted you are going to be seriously screwed up and in pain...