Best excercise for wrist/forearm problems

pdm1212

pdm1212

Awards
I think my biceps got too strong for my wrists/forearms. Both have been hurting and ruining my workouts.

I've started taping them up, and it helps, but its not enough. Is there some workouts I should be doing to strengthen them? I have been doing some wrist exercises with light dumbbells and I think that is starting to help.

Thanks guys.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Where is the pain located, i.e. is it on the ulnar-sided (pinky side) or radial-sided (thumb side)? Is it continuous or just when you do curls? What exercises hurt your wrists/forearms the most? These questions should help in figuring out what the problem is and ways to avoid similar ones in the future.

A general suggestion is to start using the ez-curl bar. Straight bb curls put a lot of stress on your wrists which can lead to tendonitis.

Taping your wrists, while good a quick-fix is just covering up the problem. It would be best if you cut out the exercises that hurt it for a couple weeks. Add in plenty icing and/or contrast bathing and they should heal fine. You can do heavy close-grip chins and rows to keep up your bicep strength/size, granted that such exercises don't hurt your wrists.

After its healed read these:
basic: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm
advanced: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

Probably, the only exercise you need from the second one it the plate-wrist curls.

At first, keep the weight low and reps high (15-20). Eventually, you can add weight and lower the reps.

pdm1212

pdm1212

Awards
Where is the pain located, i.e. is it on the ulnar-sided (pinky side) or radial-sided (thumb side)? Is it continuous or just when you do curls? What exercises hurt your wrists/forearms the most? These questions should help in figuring out what the problem is and ways to avoid similar ones in the future.

A general suggestion is to start using the ez-curl bar. Straight bb curls put a lot of stress on your wrists which can lead to tendonitis.

Taping your wrists, while good a quick-fix is just covering up the problem. It would be best if you cut out the exercises that hurt it for a couple weeks. Add in plenty icing and/or contrast bathing and they should heal fine. You can do heavy close-grip chins and rows to keep up your bicep strength/size, granted that such exercises don't hurt your wrists.

After its healed read these:
basic: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm
advanced: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

Probably, the only exercise you need from the second one it the plate-wrist curls.

At first, keep the weight low and reps high (15-20). Eventually, you can add weight and lower the reps.
The entire wrist hurts, but I think it is mostly ulnar-sided. The exercises that really hurt...hmm...all curls that aren't hammer. Hurts some of my chest lifts.

I have started a lot of those workouts on my own already. The wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, I feel are working, and I'm getting stronger, but my wrists still really hurt. I also have been doing a hammer type motion with a db as well.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
The entire wrist hurts, but I think it is mostly ulnar-sided. The exercises that really hurt...hmm...all curls that aren't hammer. Hurts some of my chest lifts.

I have started a lot of those workouts on my own already. The wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, I feel are working, and I'm getting stronger, but my wrists still really hurt. I also have been doing a hammer type motion with a db as well.
Cool. Taping will work well for your chest workouts but I'd recommend trying to find chest exercises that don't aggravate your wrists. Technically, you should avoid all exercises that give you wrist pain. With plenty of ice, contrast bathing, and possibly some NSAIDs it should heal relatively quickly.

Alternatively a wrist brace might be beneficial if you find your wrists hurting throughout the day. Another unorthodox option is wearing winter mittens to bed. This will increase the blood flow to the area and aid in healing. Finally, ART therapy could aid in the healing of the possible soft tissue injuries in your wrists. You'd want to find someone who is certified for upper extremities.

ART:
http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree with using a brace at night or at least an ace bandage. I do this with wrist and ankles once in a while and it helps greatly. Doing some reverse curls my also strengthen the forearm and tendons surrounding the wrist. If you want a cheaper option for ART looking into a foam roller or something similar that will allow you to roll your wrist back and forth on the piece of foam. This will break up the fascia that may be scarred and causing pain.

pdm1212

pdm1212

Awards
Bump.

Can someone link me to some good braces/gloves, or whatever, to be used during my lifts? Much appreciated.

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
My bicep exercises too are killing my forearms. My left one specifically, it really feels like the pain is in the tendons or bone of my forearm, not muscle pain. Straight BB curls are murder on it. Anything that could be causing this? Anything that could help this? I was contemplating picking up some Osteo-Sport or Super Cissus.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established

Bro my wrists used to hurt so bad I couldnt lift things some days....that was before I started lifting, lifting increased the strength and it has stopped ever since.

Multivitamins, cissus can do alot for you. Fish oil as well.

I would say, do some stretching with your forearms/wrist a lil before a workout to warm it up.

Could be any number of problems, wrists can go wrong in so many ways.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I definitely agree with using a brace at night or at least an ace bandage. I do this with wrist and ankles once in a while and it helps greatly. Doing some reverse curls my also strengthen the forearm and tendons surrounding the wrist. If you want a cheaper option for ART looking into a foam roller or something similar that will allow you to roll your wrist back and forth on the piece of foam. This will break up the fascia that may be scarred and causing pain.
where can this be obtained? Doctor or in wal-mart?