Before w/o: To eat or not to eat...big Dilemma

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I'm a morning lifter, no choice there. Here's my routine. wake at 4:30, eat around the same time. Meal consists of required supplementation, a small bowl of oatmeal, cup o joe, and a Whey isolate shake, wait around for a bit and head to the gym for 5:30 arrival time. During the drive I'll whack down my pre-w/o pump drink. Problem is my system hates eating so early and then working out. I constantly feel like crap, gas spewing from me in every direction, bloated, Heavy leg sets make me stand over the garbage can waiting to vomit. Overall, an unpleasent experience

So, don't eat so much right? Sure. Tried it, I've cut everything out at one point or the other to get the edge back. When i cut out the carbs I just don't have the energy for a good w/o. I gas and don't really get that fatigued feeling in my muscles. Cut the coffee/pump mix..eh...it takes the whole workout to get my core temp up and I only have about 45 minutes of gym time. I've tried everything BUT dropping the protein, until today, today i had a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, coffee and pump mix and my w/o was pretty good.

GREAT. from all the reading and research i've done it seems whacking down a shake pre and post w/o protein is rule number 1 when building muscle.

So my real question is it worth suffereing through most w/o's if I'm getting the protein i need pre and post. I still get my weight and my sets in, they are just miserable at times. Or is it OK to sacrifice PWO protein for a good w/o then take care of the post stuff.

I hate the thought of wasting my time in the gym while I'm busting my ass for muscle.

Any thoughts from the minds that be?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Maybe a different source of protien early on? Maybe you are getting indigestion from the joe and shake (I know that coffee makes my stomach *very* irritable). You could also try mixing some unflavored whey into your oatmeal. Just a few ideas that came to me right away.

ManBeast

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good suggestion :)
I throw some cookies N' cream whey into my pancakes every morning. I know you can throw 3/4 or a full scoop in with the oatmeal,.. you can even adda little (or extra) milk in there to help is mix in.
ALso,.. maybe you should try something beside oatmeal. I know that at times, if I have too much fiber I get gass,.. (hence why I make one larger pancake)

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
So your thinking that the protein can't be dropped PreWO

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I think it *can* be dropped, but it probably is not ideal.

ManBeast

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I honestly think that having the protein in the shake is what might be giving you gas..
Why mixing it with oatmeal is any better I dont know for sure,.. but it might make it absorbed a little slower...
We wouldnt want you busting protein farts in the gym now would we.... Those are THE WORST!:jaw:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
dude..been blowin them all day...Horrific. I have a sign on my office door right now warning of chemical agents in use:gas: . my buddy in the office next to me came in and said "WHOOOAAAA!! now I know what pure evil smells like!!!!" good thing its friday and it happens to be client appreciation day also so noone too important is around...they're all out golfing. Speaking of which, I have 1pm tee time so I'm out to blow ass for 9 holes...AWESOME! should make some new friends.

I gatta keep trying to tweek this...

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Try some whey protein that is not mixed in milk; I use Isopure alpine punch flavor.

OR take some liquid aminos (they say you need about 15gms before the workout). I buy them from Vitamine World - mixes ok with iced tea or a tangy juice like pomengranate.

The other thing you can do is egg beaters... 3/4 cup microwaved is about 30gms. Spray the bowl with Pam first...

Good luck,
R

never2big

Awards
i always eat before going to the gym and i would recommend eating before you work out for sure if you are working out in the mornig and have not ate anything for 6 to 8 hours

might try aminos and or bcaa in a pill form or liquid

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Another idea is some digestive enzymes... maybe your body just isn't ready to go that fast and needs a bit of help that early.

ManBeast

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Another idea is some digestive enzymes... maybe your body just isn't ready to go that fast and needs a bit of help that early.

ManBeast
I think your on to something there. I've cut portions down considerably and only take the PWO pump mix (no coffee) and my last 2 workouts have been much better.

It seems cutting Prewo protein out is out of the question and I need some morning carbs to function so i only have my shake, 1/2 cup of oats and my drink and its working thus far.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like too many liquids. stick with just the oatmeal and protein. if you need a stimulant get some caffiene and ephedrine. skip the coffee i would say and just pop the caffiene pills.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
if you need a stimulant get some caffiene and ephedrine.
I'm not an ephedrine guy. hate it. but your right though. too many liquids, its messin with system so early in the morning. I'm definitely not a morning guy even though i wo so early. I do it b/c i have no choice. you would think I'd be used to it after 6 or 7 months but I'm not and I dont think i ever will be

jet11

Awards
personally i had a similar problem. so i cut the shake prewotkout in the AM and hit a heavier carb breakfast (oats or breads or something, but still got about 20g of protein from milk/yogurt or whatever), otherwise a heavy preworkout drink would make me want to PUKE! just try to switch it up and see how something new works

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
i've cut the morning coffee out, going with the nutrplanet Mass pump stack and my AI protein. 15 minutes of HIIT or MIIT rather and i'm rearing to go. So far so good. Maybe the caffeine wasn't working so well with the NO drink

anabolicandre

Awards
Cofee is a netural laxative, and I know when I take a bit to much of a pump formula that has a laxative effect too.

Maybe the combo of the two is doing you in.