bedtime proteinshake/meal myth

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
zma is ooook..

zmk, in my opinion is farrr better than a nice protein shake at night. but then again. trying to cut it the story of my life. i gain weight easily.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Because I don't like the taste of it in water, I use skim milk. Optimum Nutrition is good stuff, but I can't stomach it in water 2 -3 times a day when bulking. I will only if there is no milk. I can handle a couple grams of carbs in this instance.

i feel ya there... i used eggwhites international for about 4 months. after that id gag when i took my shake with water

BiggerGeek

Awards
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/80/5/1246

Not the paper I was looking for, but interesting none the less. I'd be lying if I said I read the whole thing, but it seems imply (from looking at all the pretty pictures - and through the site that was linking this) that the whey in milk may be the reason for the quick insulin spike

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's not really a "myth", as casein is proven to be slower digesting, and thus helps against catabolism, but I think casein shakes are just a dumb idea and a waste of money. Drink some milk, it's 80% casein.
It's also loaded with sugar.
Not all sugars are created equal. Naturally sourced carbs are a very viable form of dietary energy.

Machine Mind

Machine Mind

Awards
I've got to have my bedtime protein. Preventing catabolism of my hard-earned muscle is as easy as a cup of cottage cheese, a spoon of Natty PB, and a glass of milk.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are seriously bulking than good protien n fat meal or shake before bed is mandatory imo.

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
yea idk about that dairy product thing....why would there be the anabolic diet and the goal is to not release any insulin till the carb up and alot of people eat cheese during the low carb phase?

BiggerGeek

Awards
yea idk about that dairy product thing....why would there be the anabolic diet and the goal is to not release any insulin till the carb up and alot of people eat cheese during the low carb phase?
Not all dairy necessarily causes a high insulin spike.... the research in all that stuff is still very new

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
ok cool. im on it right now and eat cheese. of course oim not drinkin milk cuz of the carbs. cheese only has like less than 1 carb per serving so it prob doesnt even apply to this haha

BiggerGeek

Awards
ok cool. im on it right now and eat cheese. of course oim not drinkin milk cuz of the carbs. cheese only has like less than 1 carb per serving so it prob doesnt even apply to this haha
cheese is also solid.. The slowed digestion also probably plays a factor

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
zma is ooook..

zmk, in my opinion is farrr better than a nice protein shake at night. but then again. trying to cut it the story of my life. i gain weight easily.
How's the ZMK? Any difference you notice between it and the ZMA? :smite:

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Zmk is far better in my opinion... i wake up with much more evidence of gh release if you get my drift. lol

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established

You can get low or nil carb containing cheese.
Some brands of mozza sticks or cheese sticks make snack sized cheese that's got nil carbs. The ones I eat are 7/6/1 p/f/c

BiggerGeek

Awards
I don't think it is the carbs in milk that cause the insulin spike (necessarily). Like i said, that paper implies that the whey is at least possibly responsible. It correlates the insulin response to the early appearance of certain amino acids

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
You can get low or nil carb containing cheese.
Some brands of mozza sticks or cheese sticks make snack sized cheese that's got nil carbs. The ones I eat are 7/6/1 p/f/c
i know that. thats what i was trying to say haha

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
who cant just suck it up with water? Its so easy i cant believe people even comlain about it. just teach yourself like if you didnt like coffee or alcohol. ive had plenty or different brands and i just sack it up. what is the diff between ZMA and ZMK? Does it reall work better or is it a joke?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
who cant just suck it up with water? Its so easy i cant believe people even comlain about it. just teach yourself like if you didnt like coffee or alcohol. ive had plenty or different brands and i just sack it up. what is the diff between ZMA and ZMK? Does it reall work better or is it a joke?
I have never taken ZMA but all I know is that ZMK works extremely well. Don't even get me started on how crazy the dreams are. Good dreams means good rest!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
who cares about the gh spike or whatever, if you are bulking enhancing natural gh production isnt going to bulk you, calories are.

if you put on weight easy already then this question doesnt really apply does it?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Also remember that your body rebuilds muscle at night during protein synthesis, so having protein to support this natural regeneration seems like a given to me. I usually have a Casein based shake, or cottage cheese and yogurt mixed pre bed. Protein synthesis only happens when your REMS are at their highest level...so good sleep is a huge factor in regeneration. If you dont sleep well then your chances of building muscle are reduced.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
who cares about the gh spike or whatever, if you are bulking enhancing natural gh production isnt going to bulk you, calories are.

if you put on weight easy already then this question doesnt really apply does it?
:goodpost:

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established

u think u can talk down??? :trout: lol

i stated in my first post that i gain weight easily. take it for what its worth! ......and dont think i wont take u off my friends list!!lolol

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
and where in the thread question did he say anything about bulking>>?

BiggerGeek

Awards

if you haven't gotten enough calories in the rest of the day, I dont think you are really gonna be able to make it up in one meal

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
if you haven't gotten enough calories in the rest of the day, I dont think you are really gonna be able to make it up in one meal
I eat more calories now than when I was drinking a shake in the middle of the night and before bed.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How simple is it... You are going to go 8 hours without eating... why not eat before bed and keep it from being 10+ hours... Almost half the day spent without any protein intake??

Forget a shake and eat something.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
How simple is it... You are going to go 8 hours without eating... why not eat before bed and keep it from being 10+ hours... Almost half the day spent without any protein intake??

Forget a shake and eat something.
I agree! Most people wait a few hours after having their casein shake before laying down anyway. I'd rather get a solid meal in then a shake.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
by the end of the day im tired of eating

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
I'm planning for a bulk and my late night supps are Somnidren and ZMK.

I also want to obviously give my body some fuel before bed so am planning to eat some cheese. The problem is that:

a: both these supplements are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach.
b: Obvious clash of cheese and ZMK.

Would it be best to take the ZMK an hour before bed, then eat the cheese (an hour later, basically when i'm getting into bed) and take the Somnidren using one of their 'fast acting' methods (letting the powder dissolve under the tongue)?

Or is there a better way?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Take both an hour before... if you pass out sooner then eat as you are about to.

Why cheese? Casien yes buthigh fat... Go with Cottage cheese unless you are bulking and an endo

For lower carb guys (like me) it def makes sense to treat fat like carbs ie taper

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
You could always have a protein shake or some BCAA caps by your bed if you wake up in the middle of the night.

BiggerGeek

Awards
or just put the BCAAs by your toilet and drink a bunch of water before you go to bed.