Bedtime Protein

ReformedNerd

Awards
I hadn't seen this discussed recently.

Is a protein meal in reasonly close proximity to bedtime important? If yes/no would this change for a natty/enhanced?

Asking for a friend.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There are studies on this for at least a decade using casein.
Here is a study from 2020: Kim J. Pre-sleep casein protein ingestion: new paradigm in post-exercise recovery nutrition. Phys Act Nutr. 2020 Jun 30;24(2):6-10. doi: 10.20463/pan.2020.0009. PMID: 32698256; PMCID: PMC7451833.
Not completely applicable to your question. Participants exercised in the evening.

Another to take with a grain of salt. Participants weren't in the best of health.

Here's an article with links to research.

ReformedNerd

Awards
Thank you for the feedback friends. I'm looking to learn what can be done to maximize results. Maximizing results isn't always possible based on life happening but knowing is half the battle!

natureman4

Awards
I think it's plausible that there are benefits to ingesting protein right before bed, and I usually do on heavy gym days. One important thing though is that growth hormone pulses most strongly during stage 3/slow wave/deep sleep (first 2-4 hours for most people) and those GH pulses are weakened the higher your insulin is at the time. So, much better to have the slowest digesting proteins possible with the lowest glycemic load (whey's is high) but without additional carbs if you're taking it before bed. I take my bland-a** no sugar casein or beef protein and mix it with water alone.

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I do a bowl of 1% cottage cheese with cinnamon for flavor right before bed
I use to do that to with a little frozen fruit on top but I think the dairy started sitting wrong on my stomach right before bed so I stopped doing that. I'll sometimes through in a quick shake before bed and that digests better.

Gandalfthegreg

Gandalfthegreg

Awards
Casein pudding before bed let’s me get a little more protein in and also “kind of” satisfies some cravings and sweet tooth on a cut. It’s not amazing but better than nothing at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As long as you are eating relatively frequently and evenly spacing your protein out you should be getting a meal somewhat near your sleep.

Overall intake before timing, but if taken care of timing will still matter, I’d say the bigger issue would be how close to sleep effects your sleep as some will do better than others and different foods may be better or worse depending on the person.