Banana - after training

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the low energy levels last the first week or two of getting used to it. after that, its back to normal.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
the low energy levels last the first week or two of getting used to it. after that, its back to normal.
When cutting I'm definitely going to try 50g or less carbs. I know the first few weeks are hard to adjust to but, like everything else, you get use to it. How many calories are consuming in one day?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
If I'm gaining LBM I will go as high as 400 grams of carbs a day. I am currently at 2600 calories a day (216 grams of fat and rest is protein) with a every 6th day 4400 calorie day with 800 grams of carbs. Personally like I said before I doubt I will ever do a keto diet again (mainly for lack of training production, being at a constant low bf, and also the use of AP + P-Slin.)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm taking in about 2000 right now give or take, with around 180g of protein, and basically all carbs are trace or from leafy greens like spinach or cruiciferous veggies. plenty of days i bet I don't break 30g. I don't get anal about counting those as even for a full cup of broccoli its a whopping 4g of carbs. Spinach even funnier, a full cup has 1g of carbs but also 1g of fiber, so a net of 0. The rest of my diet is made up in fats, mostly healthy fats. 12g of fish oil, 30g of Udos, 5g of sesamin, the rest a mix of coconut + olive oil, or what is naturally in the proteins. So I generally get 3 egg yolks worth of fat, plus what is on chicken, beef, etc I eat thru the day.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I'm taking in about 2000 right now give or take, with around 180g of protein, and basically all carbs are trace or from leafy greens like spinach or cruiciferous veggies. plenty of days i bet I don't break 30g. I don't get anal about counting those as even for a full cup of broccoli its a whopping 4g of carbs. Spinach even funnier, a full cup has 1g of carbs but also 1g of fiber, so a net of 0. The rest of my diet is made up in fats, mostly healthy fats. 12g of fish oil, 30g of Udos, 5g of sesamin, the rest a mix of coconut + olive oil, or what is naturally in the proteins. So I generally get 3 egg yolks worth of fat, plus what is on chicken, beef, etc I eat thru the day.
What kind of results have yielded from this?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
been steadily loosing bodyfat over the last god knows how long. right now that is close to maintenance without cardio, so its more a recomping at those cals sadly. just happens that my caloric needs are low. I think I hit january at about 200lbs and 20% bf, today i'm down to 185ish and 13-14%

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So with 50g of cabs a day, someone else even said 7g!! you don't find that your energy levels are low?
The THEORY (I emphasized theory to avoid conflict) suggests that anything over 30g of carbs prevents the metabolic shift to ketosis. So even those that are saying they take in about 50g probably aren't in ketosis. In which a standard 40/40/20 diet at the same total calories should be more productive in terms of both lean mass gain and fat loss, again according to AD theory.

In which case, OCCFan is running the diet in it's strictest sense... by returning to ketosis each week. I bet you're absolutely ripped bro.

Easy, I'd have stick legs like Beavis and Butthead if I ate 50g carbs and only 180g protein. When I drop below 300g pro, muscle dwindles fast for me and that's with a 40/40/20 diet :think:

I don't and probably won't run the AD/CKD, but both are good reads IMO.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
been steadily loosing bodyfat over the last god knows how long. right now that is close to maintenance without cardio, so its more a recomping at those cals sadly. just happens that my caloric needs are low. I think I hit january at about 200lbs and 20% bf, today i'm down to 185ish and 13-14%
Impressive, good job. Are you going to bulk when you reach below 10%?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, the anything over 30 prevents you from initiallly going into ketosis, but once you have gone into it and your body is well adapted to it, taking in more than that will only kick you out short term (couple of hours) and then you go right back in. Its also the difference of whether that more than 30 is spread throughout the day, or concentrated into 30g postworkout like on a TKD with the rest as trace thru other meals.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think i'm going to just coast thru the summer below 10 and try to show some abs at the pool and beach :D and then come mid november start a bulk thru christmas. This will be the first time in 20 years my abs will be making an appearance, so I want to enjoy it a while.

bulking thru thanksgiving + christmas makes it easier, may as well take advantage of the parties and all. I'd like to try a CKD bulk, but i'm not sure whether i'll just try and eat as clean as I can and not be too worried about the carbs.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think i'm going to just coast thru the summer below 10 and try to show some abs at the pool and beach :D and then come mid november start a bulk thru christmas. This will be the first time in 20 years my abs will be making an appearance, so I want to enjoy it a while.

bulking thru thanksgiving + christmas makes it easier, may as well take advantage of the parties and all. I'd like to try a CKD bulk, but i'm not sure whether i'll just try and eat as clean as I can and not be too worried about the carbs.
We have similar philsophies concerning social life and periodization. I do the same thing with planning diet and cycles around busy seasons at work, weddings, holidays, etc etc.

Congrats on the abs Easy. You've come a long way in a relatively short period of time :cheers:

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
The low carb idea like you guess mention remind me of the Palumbo PreContest diet(Dave Palumbo) Im goin to be using it a few motnhs don the road. It gets nothign but great postitive feedback as far as retaining muscle preContest.
I love carbs, i get fussy without them. But i am slowly finding if i can keep a slow small intake of other food every 2-4 hours i am fine.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
The low carb idea like you guess mention remind me of the Palumbo PreContest diet(Dave Palumbo) Im goin to be using it a few motnhs don the road. It gets nothign but great postitive feedback as far as retaining muscle preContest.
I love carbs, i get fussy without them. But i am slowly finding if i can keep a slow small intake of other food every 2-4 hours i am fine.
What are the principles of Palumbo's contest diet?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
basically no carbs. All goodfats based and protein.
I can grab a small outline form another board(MD) and past eit here. Give me a moment.
EDIT:
HERE'S A FEW CORRECTIONS:

Hey Dave, I have been catching up reading all the posts from the beginning and I have noticed a ton of people asking the same questions about your program.(I was guilty as well).....

I decided to make a list of your program....lets add on to the list a little bit and make it a sticky for people to read instead of you having to repeat yourself over and over and over.

Palumbo Diet:

Supps:
ESSENTIAL POLYUNSATURATES:
-Omega-3 Fish Oil pills 1000mg 3x per day
-Evening Primrose Oil (Omega-6) 1300mg 2x per day
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil is still better for your heart! These are HEART HEALTHY MONOUNSATURATED FATS (along with MACADAMIA NUT OIL). MONO's are NOT essential fats; however, they ARE very heart healthy.

NON ESSENTIAL but HEART HEALTHY
Macadamia Nut oil (Omega-9 monosaturates) 2-3 ablespoons per day
I'm a believer in a good whole food supplement. I've mentioned it before:

Juice Plus+ gives you 12 servings of fruits and veggies in 4 pills (no sugar, no fiber). EDIT::: There was a link here to the Juice Plus site.]

Good legal Test/anti-aromatase:
6-oxo or Gaspari Novedex XT

Liver Support:
LIV-52 by Himalayan Labs for liver detoxification at its best!

Take all supps with food

Diet: (for 250lb man)
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter (PWO)
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
(5 meals for Women)

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again.

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
Follow my same formula. . . High protein (50g per meal), Moderate Fat (25g per meal), and moderate carbs (35-50g per meal). If you're a hard gainer, eat 8-10 meals. If you're an easy gainer (but get fat easily), stick to 6 meals per day.

For the 1000th time, when following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.

This should be ok to post here. It has no links and was posted on a public forum already, so i am not intruding any coprright laws. IT DOES change from person to person. Everyone i read that has used it loves it. I think im going to try it either this coming show or if i decide to do the Ironman. I might try this one since it is a crap nothing show, i figure better try something though so no suprises.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the diets by the scivation guys. quite similar with a bit more greens basically

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I like that just from the amount of almonds and natty peanut butter in it (damn do I miss natty PB.)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
speaking of pb, one of my favorite post workout meals is a pbj. You may ask how do I manage that low carb?

low carb bread made from almond and other flours 10g carbs per slice but 8g is fiber = 2g per slice for 4g
power pb = 6g carbs but 4 is fiber = 2g
no sugar added kumquat jelly 2g carbs 1g fiber = 1g

so I take in 7g of digestible carbs for the sandwich. they are small slices of bread, and i go very light on the kumquat jelly but its tart and the flavor goes a long way. but it makes for an enjoyable post workout meal, the powerpb gives high omega 3/6s (flax is added to it) and 12g of protein (they add egg protein too).

yes it is a lot of freakin fiber for one meal, 21g. helps keep you regular tho particularly when most of your other meals are cheese and meat :D

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Dude pb sandwich (on ezekiel bread) is going to be a staple part for meal 5 during my up coming lean mass cycle. Peanut Butter is top 20 greatest gifts from god lol! Power butter has to be great for glycemic load as well.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm currently on a lean bulk, and I need my carbs. If I have <15g of carbs in one of my meals, 3hrs later I can feeling feeling lethargic and if I don't get in some carbs with my next meal, I'll feel tired just from dashing up a flight of stairs.

I'm still thinking about trying a CKD diet this summer, but I'm still ~9% bf, so I don't got much to cut yet lol.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I was very worried about the CKD for fear of extreme lethargy and also the fact that I have to be very careful with other activities (I am a very active guy, tennis, basketball, football, etc.) but while on CKD I have to be uber careful. However the enegry has been fine this go around because I actually compensated for the lack of carbs with a lot of quality fat.

Honestly after I get down to 7% I doubt I will ever run a CKD again. The training ability has really been disappointing (and the carb ups have shown to do nothing to increase workout quality, just there for nutritional aspects) and it is really annoying (and makes it extremely hard to gauge muscle preservation.)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
EASY = PM for the power PB source please.

OCC= You should try the Palumbo diet if you are going into a comp or just for a few weeks to see how it goes. It is basically to get you into ketosis(if i recall correctly)
Im not great with all the terminology.

One thing i would do with the DP pre-contest is start it early enough to keep a good amount of green in there then slowly push them out to get to be where the guidlines are. Green hold so much vits that i think precontest ill be goin to town on them.
I think im goin to get some of that NOW Phytofoods from Nutra, looks like solid stuff.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yea I am going to read up some more on it and may make the switch. However I only have 3-5 more weeks until I should be at my target bf so I may just stick it out and save that for the future.

If you do decide to run that let me know what you think of it.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Im def goin to ru nthe DP diet . Just gotta figure out how far out i should start it, if i can use it with an anabolics/clen. I have alot of pre-Contest to learn about as far as that stuff and carb loading/timing.

I got all the stuff leading up to that...haha but that is whats most important.

I will prolly log it if i do it.

EDIT: Thats why yours and Easy last few post have meant so much to me casue i need to see how youre low carbing it. I might do how you guys are the 2 carb up days, then strictly the DP diet a few weeks out.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Im def goin to ru nthe DP diet . Just gotta figure out how far out i should start it, if i can use it with an anabolics/clen. I have alot of pre-Contest to learn about as far as that stuff and carb loading/timing.

I got all the stuff leading up to that...haha but that is whats most important.

I will prolly log it if i do it.

EDIT: Thats why yours and Easy last few post have meant so much to me casue i need to see how youre low carbing it. I might do how you guys are the 2 carb up days, then strictly the DP diet a few weeks out.
Yea me and Easy have the luxury of just doing it for us (i.e no deadline because were not doing a show.) I really like 7 day carb up if your 14-15% and now I do every 6 days since I'm around 10-11.25%. It's a lot of trial and error (which again isn't a luxury with contest prep) but you will find what works pretty damn fast.

Defiantly log that when you go for it, I'll be very interested to see what paths you take.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't wait for the carbup, when will the weekend get here :D probably pizza is the thing I miss the most, and beer

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Im having my carb up today baby and its AWESOME! Whole wheat bagels, raisin bran, oatmeal (both regular and flavored) ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is my favorite day because I can actually go outside and be active without being petrified of muscle loss (and it means I get to eat more than the 800 carbs I already can!!!!!!!!!!!!)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
yea my job has got me pretty active. Other than that i dont do other excess thigns liek i used too. I may play bball once or twice a month but nothing intense. Work i lift 30lb~ boxes or tile, abot 60 of them. Carry carpet, always walking. The precontest diet is goin to be tough, if i get funds right though, im just goin to take off a week preshow maybe 2. If not ill have to adjust to a little extra labor...

ono

ono

Awards
woah look at all the **** my question started!

Anyway thanks to everyone who got involved. I'm sticking with my amino acids, shake and 2 bananas.......followed by a meal 1 hour later.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
dextrose is better at spiking quicker. you can try 40g of that sometime. you don't have to order the stuff online. just go to your neighborhood market and pick up a big box of sweet tarts and count out the grams from there.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I have one banana and a glass of raw milk after each workout. :dance:

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
dextrose is better at spiking quicker. you can try 40g of that sometime. you don't have to order the stuff online. just go to your neighborhood market and pick up a big box of sweet tarts and count out the grams from there.
why not just buy a bag of dextrose? Cheaper no other crappy coloring or high fructose corn syrup in it either.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
woah look at all the **** my question started!

Anyway thanks to everyone who got involved. I'm sticking with my amino acids, shake and 2 bananas.......followed by a meal 1 hour later.
star starter....phh.
haha, it was a good question. PostWO nutrition will never be pin pointed since we are all different, sad but true.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
why not just buy a bag of dextrose? Cheaper no other crappy coloring or high fructose corn syrup in it either.
Or he can actually read to whole thread and forget about dextrose altogether...
:hammer:

ptdanny

Awards
A good ripened Banana taste sooooo good!

Yeah their a favorite for me for pre-workout, post workout i like to go for the quicker simpler carbs, but like they said above, putting it with some protein would help.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Great read. I train very first thing in the morning so i actually have my pre workout meal before bed which is just extra carbs after my usual dinner.

I've tried the simple sugar approach and it just didn't work. Unless i was trying to get fat around my waist then it i supoose it worked quite well. :icon_lol:

Simple Sugar Lovers please don't respond harshly to this, i tried, i really did!!

Lately i've been using maca and whey as post workout shake. Check out the nutritional profile in the PDF. Very filling as well.

Might try a couple of bananas though. Love bananas!!

Jag

Attachments

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
banana i love to eat...ba na na i love to eat banana

how describe this article as being strange

fructose is not for maximum anabolic state

you must eat steak not medium, but rare, nutrients max!yes oh yes

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
banana i love to eat...ba na na i love to eat banana

how describe this article as being strange

fructose is not for maximum anabolic state

you must eat steak not medium, but rare, nutrients max!yes oh yes

Always finish my non cardio workouts with a sh*t load of rare flesh!

:smite: