Any insight on this protein powder?

ironrodtk

Awards

Would a hydrolyzed plant based protein be at all comparable to a dairy based protein in terms of ability to grow muscle? Any issues in regards to phytoestrogens or heavy metal contamination? This product is of interest as I am sensitive to dairy products and want something very easy to digest - please suggest any potential alternatives.

Thank-you!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Would a hydrolyzed plant based protein be at all comparable to a dairy based protein in terms of ability to grow muscle? Any issues in regards to phytoestrogens or heavy metal contamination? This product is of interest as I am sensitive to dairy products and want something very easy to digest - please suggest any potential alternatives.

Thank-you!
Are you allergic to dairy or lactose (milk sugar)?

The reason I ask is that whey concentrate (WPC) is generally going to have lactose in it, but a good quality whey protein isolate (WPI) is going to be lactose fee. So if your issue is lactose, then a good quality WPI is the best way to go.

For me personally, whey protein concentrate bothers my stomach, but I can drink whey protein isolate with no issues.

Some people may say that phytoestrogens from plant proteins may be a big deal; I don't think its that huge of an issue.

Heavy metals - this comes more down to the individual brand and whether they really do testing for that or not. It certainly could be an issue, and brands are supposed to test for that, but many unfortunately don't.

The two proteins that I drink the most of are Ketogenics IsoWhey and their Zero Carb protein.

^^^ either of those would be suitable for you if the issue is lactose. And if you want to try them to make sure, they have sampler packs you can buy to try the different flavors and make sure you like them.

If you want a great quality plant protein that tastes good, they have one called IsoPlant that tastes very good to be a plant based protein.

You mentioned ease of digestion - I drink a lot more shakes than the average person bc I have so many food allergies, I have to consume a lot of my protein through food, so ease of digestion is extremely important to me. That's why I stick mainly to the ones I mentioned above because no digestive issues with those at all.

ironrodtk

Awards
Are you allergic to dairy or lactose (milk sugar)?

The reason I ask is that whey concentrate (WPC) is generally going to have lactose in it, but a good quality whey protein isolate (WPI) is going to be lactose fee. So if your issue is lactose, then a good quality WPI is the best way to go.

For me personally, whey protein concentrate bothers my stomach, but I can drink whey protein isolate with no issues.

Some people may say that phytoestrogens from plant proteins may be a big deal; I don't think its that huge of an issue.

Heavy metals - this comes more down to the individual brand and whether they really do testing for that or not. It certainly could be an issue, and brands are supposed to test for that, but many unfortunately don't.

The two proteins that I drink the most of are Ketogenics IsoWhey and their Zero Carb protein.

^^^ either of those would be suitable for you if the issue is lactose. And if you want to try them to make sure, they have sampler packs you can buy to try the different flavors and make sure you like them.

If you want a great quality plant protein that tastes good, they have one called IsoPlant that tastes very good to be a plant based protein.

You mentioned ease of digestion - I drink a lot more shakes than the average person bc I have so many food allergies, I have to consume a lot of my protein through food, so ease of digestion is extremely important to me. That's why I stick mainly to the ones I mentioned above because no digestive issues with those at all.
Thank-you for your comprehensive response! I have two issues with dairy based protein powders

1. The brands I have tried are hard to digest whether concentrate or isolate
2. The calcium content gives me wicked constipation

I just hesitate to try plant based protein powders for fear of poor results (in terms of recovery and strength/muscle gain), estrogenic side effects and heavy metal contamination. What was your experience with IsoPlant? Did you feel you recovered well? Any negative changes in body composition?

Thank you once again!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank-you for your comprehensive response! I have two issues with dairy based protein powders

1. The brands I have tried are hard to digest whether concentrate or isolate
2. The calcium content gives me wicked constipation

I just hesitate to try plant based protein powders for fear of poor results (in terms of recovery and strength/muscle gain), estrogenic side effects and heavy metal contamination. What was your experience with IsoPlant? Did you feel you recovered well? Any negative changes in body composition?

Thank you once again!
You're very welcome.

It's important to understand that unfortunately not all brands that claim to be isolate are really pure whey isolate; many are whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate blends.

That's why I asked you if you had an allergy to dairy or lactose (milk sugar)?

Because me for example - I have no issue with dairy, but whey protein concentrate bloats me and causes my stomach to hurt.

But since I can eat dairy with no problem, then I know my issue isn't with dairy or lactose, its with whey concentrate.

That's why I mentioned the two proteins that I did, because they are easy on my stomach and I have no issues with them.

I do not think that plant based proteins are as good as whey protein for muscle gains; which is why I suggested the ones that I did and why I use those myself rather than plant based proteins.

If one is going to use a plant based protein, I think that IsoPlant is the best choice to go with, but I don't use it myself. I'll drink a shake of it here and there, but I use a ton of IsoWhey and Zero Carb (Micellar/WPI blend).

As for heavy metals - that is something that brands are supposed to test for, but unfortunately many do not. I know that Ketogenics does and other reputable brands like Optimum, Dymatize, etc. are going to as well.

A lot of people buy protein based on buying the cheapest that they can find. I NEVER do that because I'm very distrusting of the quality of many brands and meeting label claims and not doing testing on their products.