Antibiotics and Abscesses

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Wondering what type of antibiotics would be best for persons to keep on-hand to stave off an infection during a cycle? Would Doxycycline or Cipro be good? Or should one go with penicillin? Are there other types?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Wondering what type of antibiotics would be best for persons to keep on-hand to stave off an infection during a cycle? Would Doxycycline or Cipro be good? Or should one go with penicillin? Are there other types?
I've read Dr. D talking about

Cephalexin (aka Kephlex)
Penicillin-G (injectable)

Check your PM's...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
cephalexin.
Did you ever have to use it? Were the results good? And, what is the "triggering" sign to start taking the antibiotics??

(sorry about all of the questions but, I'm the worry-wart type ;))

EDIT: And yes, I know the "lump" should be the triggering sign, lol, but when and how can you differentiate between a knot and an abcess that is forming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Did you ever have to use it? Were the results good? And, what is the "triggering" sign to start taking the antibiotics??

(sorry about all of the questions but, I'm the worry-wart type ;))

EDIT: And yes, I know the "lump" should be the triggering sign, lol, but when and how can you differentiate between a knot and an abcess that is forming.
talked to a few med guys about this, and checking your body temp is a good way to find out. if you get above 101 degrees, you most likely have an infection. anything below that and your body is naturally fighting it off.

also, an infection will be warm to the touch and continue to grow larger.

size

Awards
  • Established
I never had to use anything. Fever, as mentioned, is a bad sign.
Typically, if pain and swelling progresses, then this is a signal of a problem. Abcesses require time to develop, so being sore after an injection should not cause panic. If conditions worsen, then concern should rise. If it gets to a point were red lines are developing around the injection site, then go to the hospital.

Just to note, injections can cause pain, swelling, and redness. This can develop rather quickly. Simply monitored the situation for any changes (+/-).

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Well, what if the knot has grown to about 6x5 inches, and is slightly warm, and painful, say three days after an inject. Besides the red lines and puss forming, at what point would it be a good time to go to the doc.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Well, what if the knot has grown to about 6x5 inches, and is slightly warm, and painful, say three days after an inject. Besides the red lines and puss forming, at what point would it be a good time to go to the doc.
ouch! 6 x 5"...that's big...

what r u pinning?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
When I stuck dirty needle (1.5x16") into myself (by accident) I went to doctor right away and he prescribed me Penn G (pills). So I guess it will be your best bet. Good luck.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
If your not allergic to penicillins, Pen G procain injection is good stuff! Cheap, once a day or EOD shot, convenient and effective. Many times, 2 or 3 fat shots is all it takes to knock out an infection. Pen G and Amoxil are good too at 250-500mg x4/d for an oral pen alternative. The cephs are good for soft tissue infections but you have to take them 4 to 6 times a day to really keep blood levels constant. That's very important. That's why I like the shot as I mentioned previously, it's convenient and blood levels stay consistent. Cephs work fast in emergencies. Doxy is good too. Great for clearing up andro acne also, and can be taken at 200mg once a day (or 100mg/12hr) so convenient too. It's not as fast acting as some of the others but very broad spectrum and fairly non-toxic for long term use, also cost effecient. A single 300-400mg dose of doxy can be taken 24hr in advance of an infectious exposure as a good prophylactic to prevent illness, if you can predict high risk possible exposure in your future.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was prescribed Augmentin for a pin infection.

What about some of the vet. supply brands of anti-biotics?They seem to have it all, and was wondering if it was up to standards.

peace

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Vets usually have pharma grade peni, ceph, amox, etc...I've bought some for my dog ;) (really)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info DR. D. Invaluable to say the least. The sticky idea would be a great resource. Now all we need is for someone to come out with antibiotic RC's. :thumbsup:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
About vet anti-B's, they have helped my fish, dogs, and swine come back to life many times! Quality is still excessively high when compared to the USP requirements for sterility and potency of human meds, often identical on most tests. So I don't know if we'll ever see it as an RC commodity, if not, I've never had any probs with common vet brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Shiii bro... just shoot me a PM anytime. If you ever get into trouble, chances are I've been there too and can help. I guess I should probably just make an anti-biotic thread or sticky for people to reference. It's like nolva and gyno, don't do an injection without it! Just have some ready in case.
It would be great to have a sticky with not only antibiotic info but the types of infections with pics, and good standard practices to prevent infection.

peace

size

Awards
  • Established
It would be great to have a sticky with not only antibiotic info but the types of infections with pics, and good standard practices to prevent infection.

We will work on this but it will take a little time.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
You can do this now if you want and post it. we can add a disclaimer and then stick it.

I am sure I can find some nasty abscess photos if people really want to see some but it may make one think twice before inejcting,
OK, that sounds good. You can round up some photos, because thinking twice is a good thing! Even if they still elect to inject, I bet those second thoughts improve their septic habits and make them keep some anti-B's on hand, just in case.

size

Awards
  • Established
WARNING
Abscess photos below :sick:

6 reasons to be careful

Attachments

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I believe that far left image is Greg Valentino's blown out bicep (too much synthol I suppose.)

Now, honestly...wouldn't you have to be a complete moron to let your abcess get as bad as those images above?

size

Awards
  • Established
I believe that far left image is Greg Valentino's blown out bicep (too much synthol I suppose.)
wouldn't you have to be a complete moron to let your abcess get as bad as those images above?
Yes it is Valentino.

When many people have bad injections, they wait and hope that it will get better. So if you follow this protocol of wait and hope, the abscess has more time to develop.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Ahh...they'd must've waited for a couple of weeks, huh? Those are pretty bad.

I've got some amox on hand, but I'm definately going to get some ceph, and maybe some peni-g...those pics are too much!

size

Awards
  • Established
Ahh...they'd must've waited for a couple of weeks, huh? Those are pretty bad.
Not a couple of weeks, probably a couple of days(5-7). If the infection is allowed to linger, then more serious health issues are likely.

If it gets really bad, you could to use maggots to remove the necrotic tissue. :cheers:

size

Awards
  • Established
I am not a physician so this is just general information.
I believe cephalexin comes in 250mg and 500mg capsules. If infection was my concern, I would take a minimum 1000-1500mg spread over the course of a day.

Consult with your doctor.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I believe cephalexin comes in 250mg and 500mg capsules. If infection was my concern, I would take a minimum 1000-1500mg spread over the course of a day.
I understand. And you would only need it for a day? If not how many?

size

Awards
  • Established
I understand. And you would only need it for a day? If not how many?
No. You would need to continue to take it until the infection cleared. The intial dosages should be higher than what I mentioned above but as time went on I would reduce to those levels.

Someone else will know more about this, I am certain. ;)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Size is correct about the ceph. If you take every 4hr as you should, then 250mg is usually good and yields 1.5g/d, but if you do it sloppy only every 6hr, then take 500mg to give a total of 2g/d. Plus, always take a double with your initial dose. An anti-B course is generally 1 or 2 weeks or even months sometimes. 10days is usually effective in my experience for most apps. Don't stop prematurely. Keep going for a few days even after you think your better.

I promise I'll get something together very soon as far as a sticky goes. Thanx for the patience guys.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Size and Dr. D - what is the most likely cause of abcesses? Is it bacteria in the solution?

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am willing to bet the most common cause is lack of sterility with injection techniques. Or maybe improper filtration technique? Or not enough BA/BB? I am curious too.

I have had "gear flu" and it seems to be more a reaction to the BA, but not something that would cause an actual abcess. A bit annoying when your whole tricep and forearm swell up for a week at the first part of a cycle. Makes benching tough =D

I can't wait to see the doc's writeup on this.

-Cardinal

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If anti-biotics are used during a cycle, would using pro-biotics help restore friendly bacteria since anti-biotics kill good and bad bacteria ?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
How much amoxicilina would you take if you had an abcess? I believe Doc said it was 250 - 500mg 4xs a day is that correct?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
How much amoxicilina would you take if you had an abcess? I believe Doc said it was 250 - 500mg 4xs a day is that correct?
bump the amox ;)

I've got a shitload sitting at my house.

My g/f als has a HUGE thing of penicillin VX...what the hell is VX? (Her dad is a dentist so he writes scripts for all kinds of crap to keep around the house.)

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If we're on the topic I just got a nasty ear infection on cycle - should I quit the cycle (I will be prescribed antibiotics) or continue with the Anti's or use something else?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Size and Dr. D - what is the most likely cause of abcesses? Is it bacteria in the solution?
Usually not, but it can occur with suspensions or if you don't swab the vial septum and dust gets in the vial with the needle penetration. Not swabbing the skin for at least 15sec is up there on the list. Also, foreign proteins can cause fever and look like an infection. This is from cotton usually, or unsterile homebrews or dirty/cheap commercial gear.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Usually not, but it can occur with suspensions or if you don't swab the vial septum and dust gets in the vial with the needle penetration. Not swabbing the skin for at least 15sec is up there on the list. Also, foreign proteins can cause fever and look like an infection. This is from cotton usually, or unsterile homebrews or dirty/cheap commercial gear.

WOW I did not know you were suppose to swab for 15 seconds. Damn the little alcohol pads would be lint by then. But I do use antibacterial soap and was the entire area for about 20 seconds followed by rubbing the area with 1 alcohol pad then opening another one and rub the area again.

Dr. I have always wondered if you should cover the rubber stopper between shots. It just seems that all sorts of bacteria would land on it. I wipe it 2 or 3 times with an alcohol wipe, is that enough?

size

Awards
  • Established
An abscess can develop for different reasons. The major reason in my opinion is "dirty" products. Contamination can definitely be an issue. For this reason, amps are nice; one usage and done. If using vials, I know people like to draw with big needles but this causes more trama to the stopper so be careful. However, I should add that I believe cellulitis is much more often the case rather than an abscess.

Last edited:
DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
If anti-biotics are used during a cycle, would using pro-biotics help restore friendly bacteria since anti-biotics kill good and bad bacteria ?
Yes, yogurt or acidophylus powder work to combat this problem very well

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yes, exactly, but take a double dose for the very first one

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
bump the amox ;)

I've got a shitload sitting at my house.

My g/f als has a HUGE thing of penicillin VX...what the hell is VX? (Her dad is a dentist so he writes scripts for all kinds of crap to keep around the house.)
Pen V is good stuff too. It's just the a-phenoxymethyl version of pen whereas the G is the benzyl version. They are the two major ones out of many different pens. So it's all good bro! I'd keep that g-friend if her dad is liberal with the scripts :thumbsup:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Pen V is good stuff too. It's just the a-phenoxymethyl version of pen whereas the G is the benzyl version. They are the two major ones out of many different pens. So it's all good bro! I'd keep that g-friend if her dad is liberal with the scripts :thumbsup:
LOL. I've been with her for three years and he hardly talks to me--and she says that he likes me, too. LOL.

I'll just have to wait till I'm done med school if I want script stuff :D And, right now I'm still in UG Schol, so I've got a ways to go ;) hehehehe

Maybe I'll steal some of her peni :D

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
WOW I did not know you were suppose to swab for 15 seconds. Damn the little alcohol pads would be lint by then. But I do use antibacterial soap and was the entire area for about 20 seconds followed by rubbing the area with 1 alcohol pad then opening another one and rub the area again.

Dr. I have always wondered if you should cover the rubber stopper between shots. It just seems that all sorts of bacteria would land on it. I wipe it 2 or 3 times with an alcohol wipe, is that enough?
Yeah that's all I do, just hold the swap on there firm for 15sec, then wipe as I remove it. After you withdraw the shot, wipe the surface again so no drug residue is left on it and then restore it. I don't bother to cover it then, just keep it in a ziplock inbetween uses.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
More good information thrown into this scrapbook I call a brain ;)
You are developing a very well rounded scrapbook brother! Keep listening to me and it will turn into a useless 'crapbook' of endless facts :p

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
LOL. I've been with her for three years and he hardly talks to me--and she says that he likes me, too. LOL.

I'll just have to wait till I'm done med school if I want script stuff :D And, right now I'm still in UG Schol, so I've got a ways to go ;) hehehehe

Maybe I'll steal some of her peni :D
When you finally graduate, I'm gonna need a new doc, you know that right? I'll be your first pateint! But I warn you, I have "issues"... but you already knew that :D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking of radiology. I hear that many of them are working from their houses these days :D But, I'm sure I can still write you your script for Test :D

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking of radiology. I hear that many of them are working from their houses these days :D But, I'm sure I can still write you your script for Test :D
Work at a reactor, I majored in Nuclear too, and will not practice nuc med from a hosp or my home (the GM/GC keeps clicking like mad everytime I walk in the door... J/J) But the good money is north-east with power or experimental reactors. By then my test levels should be nil, and I'll call my good 'ol buddy Kwyckemynd00! :cheers: