Antibiotics and Abscesses

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
OK guys, finally got around to posting my AB brief, I feel like I probably left a bunch of stuff out that you may still have questions on, but I just wanted to get something out there for now because it seems a lot of infections are occuring these days! Please feel free to note these additional questions, so I can continue to update with new, more and better guidelines answering specific questions I may have neglected to include. Thanks for your patience, I've been really swamped.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
just read through it and it's a very informative post. Thanks very much.

One quick question. If one were to get an infection from injecting a small particle into themselves would these antibiotics be the only thing necessary. Would the body be able to get rid of the particle on its own, or would some type of surgery be necessary.

I understand you would still need to use the AB's to kill the infection, but can the body rid itself of the particle w/out surgery.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
just read through it and it's a very informative post. Thanks very much.

One quick question. If one were to get an infection from injecting a small particle into themselves would these antibiotics be the only thing necessary. Would the body be able to get rid of the particle on its own, or would some type of surgery be necessary.

I understand you would still need to use the AB's to kill the infection, but can the body rid itself of the particle w/out surgery.
It can rid itself of some particulates, and small oral, daily doses of graphite are able to achieve this long term. But if your talking about a butyl or teflon particle that is loose in your vial from the septum, it's basically there to stay. It is chemically inert and may expell very slowly. A short term corticoid is good (like Prednisolone @ 5-10mg/d) untill the swelling dies, but if infection has compounded it, corticoids are to be avoided and a NSAI/AB stack is best. Once your immune system calms down, it just forms a small cystic scar over the particle and it probably won't bother you again. I am sure we all have these. That's why I never use lower than a 22g point to brew or extract with because it destroys the septa so quickly. All of us that inject probably remember a time when a shot hurt for no good reason. It may have gotten hot at the site but not raised, and then been gone in a week or so. That's probably all it was. Persistant pain or large particles that can not be broken down may need surgical help, but it can work itself out with time in many cases right through the very spot that it entered with shallow injections.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you on that Dr. D.. but I have managed to use a 20g without destroying the septum of the vial... I guess I have been lucky I guess..

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you on that Dr. D.. but I have managed to use a 20g without destroying the septum of the vial... I guess I have been lucky I guess..
Yeah, I love the 20's too! But it seems every other time, I screw up the sep. It seems to happen more with the cheap, flat red ones and less with the more expensive grey one. But the grey ones seem to leak worse while the red ones seem to repair much faster, so who knows. I still haven't figured out the best way. The teflon undercoated ones work well, but you have to try and hit the sep in a different spot every time to avoid jagging up under it. I'm seriously thinking about just heating my vials with a mild peroxide solution in a baby bottle warmer so that it can draw easy with high gauge points from now on. :cool:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed that about the grey ones.. I don't have any of the reds left... I like the idea of the peroxide and the baby warmer... what I need to get is a small beaker.. like a 50 ml size or maybe just alittle bigger.. just right for heating

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
It can rid itself of some particulates, and small oral, daily doses of graphite are able to achieve this long term. But if your talking about a butyl or teflon particle that is loose in your vial from the septum, it's basically there to stay. It is chemically inert and may expell very slowly. A short term corticoid is good (like Prednisolone @ 5-10mg/d) untill the swelling dies, but if infection has compounded it, corticoids are to be avoided and a NSAI/AB stack is best. Once your immune system calms down, it just forms a small cystic scar over the particle and it probably won't bother you again. I am sure we all have these. That's why I never use lower than a 22g point to brew or extract with because it destroys the septa so quickly. All of us that inject probably remember a time when a shot hurt for no good reason. It may have gotten hot at the site but not raised, and then been gone in a week or so. That's probably all it was. Persistant pain or large particles that can not be broken down may need surgical help, but it can work itself out with time in many cases right through the very spot that it entered with shallow injections.
Thank you Doc. You would think that w/the technology available today that someone would be able to come up w/a stopper that would get rid of these problems. I've never used the teflon coated stoppers, but will be giving them a shot as soon as sldge gets them up on his site.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Size is correct about the ceph. If you take every 4hr as you should, then 250mg is usually good and yields 1.5g/d, but if you do it sloppy only every 6hr, then take 500mg to give a total of 2g/d. Plus, always take a double with your initial dose. An anti-B course is generally 1 or 2 weeks or even months sometimes. 10days is usually effective in my experience for most apps. Don't stop prematurely. Keep going for a few days even after you think your better.

I promise I'll get something together very soon as far as a sticky goes. Thanx for the patience guys.
230lbs and had cephalexin prescribed 250mg 4X a day for 10 days for a skin infection. Should be noted that my infection is not from pinning, but I don't think that would affect dosage

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
230lbs and had cephalexin prescribed 250mg 4X a day for 10 days for a skin infection. Should be noted that my infection is not from pinning, but I don't think that would affect dosage
I posted in the brief also, but this looks fine. It won't affect your dosage and the ceph dose is so small, the doc must not think the infection is very bad at all. You're just fine I think. How long is the course?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I posted in the brief also, but this looks fine. It won't affect your dosage and the ceph dose is so small, the doc must not think the infection is very bad at all. You're just fine I think. How long is the course?
he prescribed me a 5 day dosage with 1 refill, if I thought I needed it. I'm going to get the refill and use it because I honestly forgot to take it here and there for the first run through. I'm just afraid of becoming infected with more resilient bacteria

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
he prescribed me a 5 day dosage with 1 refill, if I thought I needed it. I'm going to get the refill and use it because I honestly forgot to take it here and there for the first run through. I'm just afraid of becoming infected with more resilient bacteria
Well, maybe you got away with it this time. If it's been several days or a week and you feel better, there is likely no need to keep dosing. Of course I highly suggest consistent dosing in the future because constant blood levels are very important with serious infection. Go ahead and get the refill. It doesn't hurt to have it handy, even if you don't use it this time.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i have recently stumbled upon this thread and was then redirected to the sticky up top. i would just like to say that they both have scared me and helped me out tremendously. these thread really covered something a lot of people should know about but dont (or didn't in my case).

cough*now if only someone happened to accidently let it slip out where to get some of these products via PM that would be great*cough

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
cough*now if only someone happened to accidently let it slip out where to get some of these products via PM that would be great*cough
Haha.. You got mail. :) (for your dog, chicken, swine and horse care needs only, of course)

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well, maybe you got away with it this time. If it's been several days or a week and you feel better, there is likely no need to keep dosing. Of course I highly suggest consistent dosing in the future because constant blood levels are very important with serious infection. Go ahead and get the refill. It doesn't hurt to have it handy, even if you don't use it this time.
Thanks so much Dr.D!

The size went down to 10% of what it was. I got the refill and will have it on hand in case it becomes enlarged in the future.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
I'm allergic to amoxicillin, minocin, and erythromycin. What antibiotics would I be safe using if I develop an infection?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Doxycycline and Penecillin were too weak for my umbilicus (cogenital) infection / abcess that reoccurs for me.

Amoxicillin killed it the first time. The second time it had no effect.

I was bumped to Bactrin, and that is now taking it out. Designed specifically for resistant staph strains.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm allergic to amoxicillin, minocin, and erythromycin. What antibiotics would I be safe using if I develop an infection?
It all depends on the unique situation and circumstances of the possible infection at hand. Are talking cellulitis/abscess treatment?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doxycycline and Penecillin were too weak for my umbilicus (cogenital) infection / abcess that reoccurs for me.

Amoxicillin killed it the first time. The second time it had no effect.

I was bumped to Bactrin, and that is now taking it out. Designed specifically for resistant staph strains.
If resistance was found to amox, bactrim should do the job. Situations like this is why it's important to culture the abscess to assess for resistance and treat accordingly.

buns

Awards
This is the reason I quit buying off the black market. To many fakes out there. I ended up with a huge abscess on my leg. The nurse freaked out when I dropped my pants and showed it to her. What was funny is when she asked me how I got it. She tried to get me to tell her where I got the gear LOL. Better be careful and make sure you are getting from a reputable source and that it is what it says it is. They updated my tetnis shot and gave me a shot of antibiotics and it cleared mine up. They told me if that didn't do it they would have to cut it open and drain it.

rook

Awards
somebody please pm me a source for antibiotics...appreciate it.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
Wondering what type of antibiotics would be best for persons to keep on-hand to stave off an infection during a cycle? Would Doxycycline or Cipro be good? Or should one go with penicillin? Are there other types?
I would definitely say Cipro and Amox based on personal experiences. Cipro is a little more hardcore and will be more harsh on your GI track. If taking Cipro, I would definitely recommend taking pro biotics along with.

GrndNPnd101

Awards
Im in the Navy.. Im a Corpsman.. I love IND's. Best way to treat that ****!!! When in doubt cut it out!! j/k but really IND's are nasty and not comfy... I had to do one on a pt who had it on his *******