Another Hockey Thread...Ovechkin v Crosby

Who's the "new face" of the NHL

• Total voters
tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
90 minutes Mullet! I'm excited as ****! I think this is going to be the closest game of the series. Can't wait for the puck to drop!

Iceman1800

Awards
Crosby is unequivocally better all-around. Put it this way: Crosby is effective even when he does not score; if Malkin does not score, he is nonexistent.
Crosby is a baby and will never be a leader on his team until he learns to control his temper. Find one other captain of a winning team that throws tantrums like Crosby does. If the coach had a set of balls, Ferdenko(sp?) would be wearing the "C"

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crosby is a baby and will never be a leader on his team until he learns to control his temper. Find one other captain of a winning team that throws tantrums like Crosby does. If the coach had a set of balls, Ferdenko(sp?) would be wearing the "C"
If we were talking about Crosby in his first year, what you said would be true - as of now, it is flat-out incorrect. However, you are welcome to watch the game tonight and point instances where he "whines", as I would like to see them. The fact is, when 20-year veterans like Guerin watch 45 minutes of tape on Crosby's request, do it gladly, and then marvel at how mature Sid is, his leadership becomes self-evident. The entire team stands behind Crosby, and he gets them to do so based on his work ethic, and the nature and consistency in his play. As well, the fact that Mark Messier personally selected Sid for a monthly leadership award in '06-'07 [Brendan Shannahan, Roberto Luongo, Scott Niedermayer, and Vincent Lecalvalier were the other monthly winners that year] and has nominated him again this year speaks further against your point. It is a common criticism against Crosby that is simply invalidated if you actually watch him play. Is it fair to assume you do not watch the Penguins regular season game, and have not payed particular attention to them this post-season? I mean no offense by that, but really the only people who continue to call Sid a whiner either: a) do not watch hockey as a whole, or; b) do not watch Sid specifically.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
90 minutes Mullet! I'm excited as ****! I think this is going to be the closest game of the series. Can't wait for the puck to drop!
Oh I know, ha ha. I am leaving to get food, and then never again.

Iceman1800

Awards
If we were talking about Crosby in his first year, what you said would be true - really the only people who continue to call Sid a whiner
I have been watching hockey since probably before you were born. He has been taking stupid penalties all series long. He may have played well in the prior series but now that he is up against players that are of his caliber, he gets frustrated and is acting like a child. Game 1 at the end? Most of game 5? You think he played like a leader?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been watching hockey since probably before you were born. He has been taking stupid penalties all series long. He may have played well in the prior series but now that he is up against players that are of his caliber, he gets frustrated and is acting like a child. Game 1 at the end? Most of game 5? You think he played like a leader?
That very well may be true, and aside from the fact my age has nothing to do with watching a game, that is fine and dandy; however, it ultimately does not change the fact that Crosby is not a whiner. Also, Crosby has only had one penalty in the series, which was during a blowout game on Saturday. And those two instances are also fine, and we could run through the instances in which Zetterberg, Maltby and Kronwall were slash n' grabbing throughout game four, but there is no point because instances are not always indicative of a player's general style of play. What I would point to, instead, is blocking shots, sound defensive play, increasing his physical play, and so on.

I actually payed special attention to Sid's demeanor with the referees and teammates this year, to see if my bias was maybe clouding my vision - to my end, I saw maybe a handful of instances where Sid jabbered; no more than any other player, mind you. As I said though, you can post some instances in this thread from tonight's game where you feel he fits your bill, so to speak, because I would like to see them; off the top of my head, I can really think of no examples this post-season where Sid "whined". And if it is such an endemic trait to his persona as you say, that would be an easy task - like thinking of a OV goal, a Kronwall hit, a Kane deek and so on.

Really, this is no longer a point of contention in his game when viewed from an objective viewpoint. It stands as a criticism that was valid at one time, but no longer holds true; and so, it stands as a criticism that remains a talking point amongst individuals who dislike Sid for the exposure he receives - which I understand - or among people who do not watch Sid play, specifically. The Messier Leadership Awards, and the likelihood that Steve Yzerman - one of the greatest leaders of all-time and the director of Hockey Canada - will don Crosby a letter on a team chalk full of captains [us Canadians are renowned for our leadership] both speak volumes for his leading ability. And finally, if he was as big of a whiner and as little of a leader as you make it seem, we would hear about it, undoubtedly, from reports in the locker room: to date, most of Crosby's teammates have absolutely glowing reviews of the kid.

He is not a whiner, he is a leader, and I am going to watch the game.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Might as well have given the refs hockey sticks on that 60 minute 7-on-5 Pens power play...

Whatever... Hoisting the Cup at home after the refs have done all they could to give the Pens the series will make it even sweeter.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Now that I've calmed down a little, I will admit Detroit played like ****. But I stand by my comments above about the refs. Blatantly one-sided in every game but game 5, with this game taking the cake. Ridiculous...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now that I've calmed down a little, I will admit Detroit played like ****. But I stand by my comments above about the refs. Blatantly one-sided in every game but game 5, with this game taking the cake. Ridiculous...
Well, how about we will call it even given the massive penalty Hossa got away with to put the Wings up 2-1 in Game 2 and turn the momentum. The penalties have been called almost evenly, and the referees generously allowed Chris Osgood to carry on a three minute delay of game due to a, "mask issue". They have also let Kronwall leap from his feet on every hit, Zetterberg get liberal with his stick on Crosby, and so on. The refereeing has been poor on both sides of 140ft, so I would say you are getting worked up over nothing. Pens in 7, and revenge on your home ice!

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Isn't going to happen, man. Wings will clinch, regardless of what Gary Bettman wants :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We will see! Pens have already clinched a series after going down 0-2 this year, and the last team to win a Cup after being down 0-2 ['71 Canadiens, I believe] did so on the visitor's ice! I wish there was not a two day wait, but it will be a great game either way.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Well man, I'd wish your team luck... but I'm spoiled, and want a 5th cup in 12 years... so RED WINGS FTW!

It's going to feel like a damn week until the puck drops...

Next week will begin me watching old hockey games on DVD. I have game 7 of the 2002 West conf. finals on DVD. Wings -vs- Avalanche. We won 7-0. Oh... I was at the game too :) It's great having one of the biggest blowouts in playoff history on DVD, but it's even better when you get to relive it again by viewing it!

It's time for the Wings to get the DYNASTY title they've deserved...

WE WILL WIN GAME 7!!!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well man, I'd wish your team luck... but I'm spoiled, and want a 5th cup in 12 years... so RED WINGS FTW!

It's going to feel like a damn week until the puck drops...

Next week will begin me watching old hockey games on DVD. I have game 7 of the 2002 West conf. finals on DVD. Wings -vs- Avalanche. We won 7-0. Oh... I was at the game too :) It's great having one of the biggest blowouts in playoff history on DVD, but it's even better when you get to relive it again by viewing it!

It's time for the Wings to get the DYNASTY title they've deserved...

WE WILL WIN GAME 7!!!
I taped the Penguins' absolute dismantling of the Capitals in Game 7 on my DVR, as I thought it would be an epic game.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
They did hand Wash their asses that game. I thought it'd be a hell of a lot closer.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They did hand Wash their asses that game. I thought it'd be a hell of a lot closer.
As did I! I severely doubt the same type of outcome in this game. Truth be told, I will need some Pepto Bismol. Obviously, the odds are against Pittsburgh's favor, but it also depends how you interpret that statistics: 12/14 home teams have won game sevens, but only a handful of the teams that lost those away game sevens tied the series at 2-2 - several went down 3-1. There is also the matter of teams winning game five, and blah blah. The series has taken such an odd turn in terms of stats, that they cease to matter any longer. We have two teams, who have both played phenomenally at home: for Detroit to win, they need more of the same; for Pitt to win, they need to buck a trend.

I am ridiculously excited, and will not begrudgingly hand over that NP certificate if I must! The series itself is well-worth $25.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I too have the bottle of Pepto ready for Friday night. Unfortunately I may miss the first 5 mins of the game because I have to work late Friday (uggghhh), but I assume the other 55 minutes of the game will be enough to make up for it.

I can't make any predictions on what will transpire, but I do know there are two teams one win away from the Stanley Cup, and that in itself is downright amazing. I don't know about you man, but personally, no other sporting event can compare to a game 7 Stanley Cup Final game to me (regardless of who is playing). The Super Bowl can't even hold a candle to it.

Only 50 hours til game time!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I absolutely could not agree more. No other sport has to endure the severity and length of an NHL season and post-season combined. As a bye team, you have to win two games to be the champion, and, at most, three games. That is less than 25% of the season at maximum. If each of your rounds went to the maximum amount, you would have to play twenty-eight hockey games to win the cup - 38% of an entire season! And, in terms of the grinding physicality of the game, no other sport has to endure the things hockey players do to hoist that cup. IMO, it is the most-respected championship, or should be, in all of sports.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I couldn't even begin to explain how many times I've had to stick of for hockey in the "Football is more physically demanding than hockey" debate.

Really? All, what, 19 games for the Super Bowl champs? And as you stated, 28 games are possible in the NHL playoffs. Lets just say an average of 25 games, and an average of 78 regular season games played for the typical Stanley Cup winning forward or defenseman. So 103 games to win everything in hockey, and 19 games to win everything in football. But football is more physically demanding? HAH! Lets see a linebacker suddenly play five times more than he ever has during a season, and then maybe it'd be a valid argument.

And this deep in the playoffs... EVERYONE is nursing an injury of some sort. Hockey players have balls of steel. They get back in the game when sometimes they really shouldn't. They have heart like no other. They're a model for a real professional athlete.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You said it, brother. Well, I have spoken to everybody about it, and we want to make you an honorary Canadian.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You said it, brother. Well, I have spoken to everybody about it, and we want to make you an honorary Canadian.
This 2-day layoff is killing me. I keep thinking that the game is tonight, but it's not. The extra day really favors Detroit, especially since it takes away from Pitt's momentum, but in a game 7, you never know. Oddly, and this is what makes hockey so special, this is the 5th game 7 this decade in the cup finals ('01, '03, '04, '06, '09).

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Dude, I practically live in Canada already (or at least did before I moved 25 miles west of my last house). I was literally a 15 minute drive from Windsor (depending on bridge traffic).

I would move to Toronto in a heartbeat if the situation was right. I love that town. I also love the HHOF. Standing there in the Great Hall... caressing the Stanley Cup... looking at every single name, number, correcting, ding, etc. Ooohhhh I love me some Stanley Cup! :684:

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Funny how that happens, eh? 3 games in 4 nights to kick the series off, and the last 3 games span 7 days... Ah well, Datsyuk, Cleary and Rafalski can use the time to heal some more. They're all playing with some nasty injuries.

This 2-day layoff is killing me. I keep thinking that the game is tonight, but it's not. The extra day really favors Detroit

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, I practically live in Canada already (or at least did before I moved 25 miles west of my last house). I was literally a 15 minute drive from Windsor (depending on bridge traffic).

I would move to Toronto in a heartbeat if the situation was right. I love that town. I also love the HHOF. Standing there in the Great Hall... caressing the Stanley Cup... looking at every single name, number, correcting, ding, etc. Ooohhhh I love me some Stanley Cup! :684:
Windsor is an okay town! I am about 45 minutes away from T.O., in the Niagara Peninsula - absolutely beautiful, and I am dreading moving one day.

Yes, the HHOF is amazing. Have you been to the restaurant that is in the concorde: "The Richtree"? I love those market-based restaurants.

Less than 24h!

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I can't say I've been to said restaurant. It's been about 8 years since I hit t-dot last, though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome game! Obviously you did not get the result you wanted, but I thought it was a great, great game! Penguins, 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS BABY!!

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I have several things to say about the series, and why I believe the Pens don't deserve it. But for now I will let you relish in the joy of knowing your team "won" the cup (and that Brad Stuart handed you the game).

Did Bettman skate around with the Stanley Cup too? I stopped watching after Crosby skipped the handshake line...

Best quote I heard last night - "Without question, Gary Bettman is the greatest player on the Pittsburgh Penguins roster"

Enjoy the cup while you have it... If anything I see a nice rivalry brewing.

Your NP gift cert. will be purchased in approx. 2 weeks when I get my next check.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have several things to say about the series, and why I believe the Pens don't deserve it. But for now I will let you relish in the joy of knowing your team "won" the cup (and that Brad Stuart handed you the game).

Did Bettman skate around with the Stanley Cup too? I stopped watching after Crosby skipped the handshake line...

Best quote I heard last night - "Without question, Gary Bettman is the greatest player on the Pittsburgh Penguins roster"

Enjoy the cup while you have it... If anything I see a nice rivalry brewing.

Your NP gift cert. will be purchased in approx. 2 weeks when I get my next check.
Come on, man: you are far better than being a sore loser. Your team lost [with no quotations] because the Penguins executed better in both zones, prevented your puck-possession team from gaining the zone, and scored timely goals. Given that I was not planning on gloating, did not gloat, and never will, I would expect you to reciprocate insofar as losing graciously; we won because we were the better team - period. In terms of the NP gift certificate, I will hold you to that on a gentleman's honor, as I was most certainly planning on awarding it to you in the event of a Wings win!

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
GO PENS!!

I live 15 minutes from the Burgh. I was so happy to see them shut up the clearly biased NBC broadcasters.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
In terms of the NP gift certificate, I will hold you to that on a gentleman's honor, as I was most certainly planning on awarding it to you in the event of a Wings win!
I get paid on the 26th, so I'll buy it that weekend. Never bought one before, but I assume they just send me a code that I can then send you?

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
And for clarification, I wasn't just talking about game 7...

But really... enjoy your cup. I know how good it feels for my team to win, and its great that others get to experience the same joy. I got to celebrate 4 times in 11 years, so I think I can let this one slide :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get paid on the 26th, so I'll buy it that weekend. Never bought one before, but I assume they just send me a code that I can then send you?
I believe so. It is just a coupon code type-deal!

FatalFunnel

FatalFunnel

Awards
Agreed - Ovechkin is the total package. He can make the pretty plays but isn't afraid to get in the corners and muck it up. No cheap shots or complaints, just a tough guy and a great scorer.
I agree with most of what you said. No cheapshots though? Ovechkin is a very dirty player. He's starting to become well known for his knee-on-knee hits. Expect him to start getting fined because of it very soon. I'm an Ovechkin supporter. Crosby is great but I just love how heroic Ovechkin is. He can throw an entire team on his back.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize how dead this thread was.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with most of what you said. No cheapshots though? Ovechkin is a very dirty player. He's starting to become well known for his knee-on-knee hits. Expect him to start getting fined because of it very soon. I'm an Ovechkin supporter. Crosby is great but I just love how heroic Ovechkin is. He can throw an entire team on his back.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize how dead this thread was.
Yes, Ovechkin has already been suspended this year for his dirty play, he leaves his feet for every hit, etc. I would disagree that Ovechkin is a better leader, though; and I think the fact that Crosby is the youngest 'C' to ever lead his team to the Cup, and has led the Penguins to two straight Cup appearances evidences that pretty clearly!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is by far Crosby's best season. He's carrying Pittsburgh while they've dealt with tons of injuries and a sub-par season by Malkin. However, I still don't think he's the Hart Trophy winner this year.