Anderson Silva Vs Vitor Belfort

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was a nice slice of BS. How does Anderson have 3 highlights where he KO's a guy in one random, completely unassuming shot? At what point did he become super human?
I'm so pissed, my heart dropped into my stomach and blood pressure went through the roof!!!!

I can't believe I paid $60 to watch Silva win.....again....

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WEll at leat DW said if GSP wins, they hAve to do the superfight.

Also, how abot Bones getting the title shot?

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I think this the end of the topic. I've lost 20 bucks. Damn,

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
Anderson is the man absolutely ridiculous ! Have to give props to Jon Jones as well.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
WEll at leat DW said if GSP wins, they hAve to do the superfight.

Also, how abot Bones getting the title shot?
Ya, basically GSP has to beat shields. Dont see that as a problem, then i would suspect that they use that as the last fight of the year. Should be good.

Until then we get Jones and Shogun in march, i like it. Hope shogun pulls it out.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Until then we get Jones and Shogun in march, i like it. Hope shogun pulls it out.
In spite of the win, Jones looked flat last night. If he comes out too nervous or flat against Rua, he'll knocked da frack out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see Rua having problems getting inside JBJ's reach on the stand up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see Rua having problems getting inside JBJ's reach on the stand up.
Shogun has shown a great ability to get up after a TD or sweep to a dominant position. I think this fight will be a chance to showcase his BJJ skills, which haven't been seen in awhile.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i dont know what to think about the anderson fight. on one hand it looked too easy but at the same time vitors eyes rolled back and he was visibly phuked up. could have been just expecting everything other than a front kick

part master

Awards
Lets see anyone get kicked in the chin like that and see what happends! The chin is a hott spot for getting knocked out...........it shuts your system down!

SeniorXJ

Awards
Lets see anyone get kicked in the chin like that and see what happends! The chin is a hott spot for getting knocked out...........it shuts your system down!

X2, as ive recieved a few standing 8 counts due to a well placed uppercut that left my jaw loose & bell rung!!! Ive also taken a front kick to the abdoman & it keeled me over instantly, so i could just imagine how that felt!!
Lights out baby!! Next...

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
Once Anderson dodged a couple of Belforts fast punches I knew Anderson had his timing down and was going to unleash his inhuman striking skills. I think stand up wise he is unquestionably the best hands down on another level then anyone else.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
People are seriously trying to say UFC has staged THREE fights because of the "unusual" ways that Silva won? Call Mel Gibson up and tell him that there's a sequel to Conspiracy Theory.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
People are seriously trying to say UFC has staged THREE fights because of the "unusual" ways that Silva won? Call Mel Gibson up and tell him that there's a sequel to Conspiracy Theory.
People will say anything. Im sure the UFC staged the Demian Maia fight too where he ran around in circle for 25 mins. The guy is just hands down ridiculous. As people saw in the Chael Sonnen fight he is human and beatable. Although he was injured in that fight and did not appear his normal self. Even physically he didnt look himself.

I know people are talking about the superfight between GSP and Silva already... Which I'd bet on Silva. But GSP has to beat Shields 1st.

GSP hasnt been finishing people recently (4 out of the last 5 were decision wins) just kinda dominating them every round and winning. I get bored watching him but he does get the job done. I think if he can take Silva down and dominate him on the ground he can win by decision. No way will he submit or KO Silva. If the fights standing GSP will get highlight reel finished like everyone else that tried to stand with him.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
i dont' know how much weight GSP wants to put on before the fight, but putting on too much weight can affect conditioning, timing, injury, etc. Anderson's significantly larger than GSP as well and we know he can withstand being taken down and pitter pattered for nearly 5 rounds. I think the Spider's got it, but he WILL be taken down.

I think it makes sense for Okami to take the winner of the Superfight, if it happens. From what Dana said, he's gonna start making these guys fight while they wait for the shot, instead of taking a year hiatus. Maybe Okami/Sonnen 2?

For the record, can people stop saying Rashad blew out his knee? It was a strain and he doesn't require surgery. He's trying to make it sound like it's a similar injury to what Shogun's sustained, but in all reality it isn't. Is it enough to sideline him from training and delaying his title shot? Yes. However, I think subconciously this is a cop-out. He was scared to fight Shogun. He saw what Shogun did to Machida, and he was pissing his pants. That's why he's acting so cool about Bones getting the title shot. He knows that Bones has a better shot than he does. And from training with Bones, he knows that he can't beat Jonny either. That's why he's talking about this 185 crap, not because he doesn't want to fight his "friend." The politics in fighting right now is bull****. If you don't wanna fight a guy, make sure you train at his camp so you can claim friendship to avoid him. Since when did fighting become personal? I realize it's not just another sport, as you inflict personal injury on your opponent, but this is what they do, what they get paid for, and if they truly want to be world champion (I don't think Rashad does) they should be able to fight their friends. I honestly believe Shogun would've beaten Rashad anyway, but I don't think Rashad was ready to have to again hold the title, have everybody gunning for him, and have to fight top contenders consistently.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Silva vs GSP - I cannot wait any longer. Dana, make it happen, FAST! GSP walks around at 185 lbs to 190 lbs, so it's not a problem size-wise.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Silva vs GSP - I cannot wait any longer. Dana, make it happen, FAST! GSP walks around at 185 lbs to 190 lbs, so it's not a problem size-wise.
It becomes a problem when Anderson walks around probably at 210...

Walking weight =/= fighting weight.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
who cares if anderson is 220, they would be fighting at a catch weight (195 like wand/franklin) or something like that. gsp is rumored to be close to 200 solid so he wouldnt be giving up a whole lot of weight, mostly reach.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
actually i'm pretty sure they're fighting at middleweight, with GSP vacating the welterweight belt and permanently moving to middleweight. He had said earlier he wanted at least 9 months to pack on weight, but Dana said he's not waiting that long. Anderson is rumored to walk around about 220, and GSP somewhere between 190-200 i'm guessing pre-cut. Doesn't sound like that big of a difference, but enough that GSP would request time to bulk up.

SeniorXJ

Awards
-GSP better not vacate the welterweight title cauz theres no reason that he cant hold both simultaneously!! The weight shouldnt be an issue & neither should winning for GSP!!

I think this thread is done, time for a new one!! :welcome2:

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
-GSP better not vacate the welterweight title cauz theres no reason that he cant hold both simultaneously!! The weight shouldnt be an issue & neither should winning for GSP!!

I think this thread is done, time for a new one!! :welcome2:
well once he is a solid 200 and competing at 185 hes not gonna want to cut to 170 anymore

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
actually i'm pretty sure they're fighting at middleweight, with GSP vacating the welterweight belt and permanently moving to middleweight. He had said earlier he wanted at least 9 months to pack on weight, but Dana said he's not waiting that long. Anderson is rumored to walk around about 220, and GSP somewhere between 190-200 i'm guessing pre-cut. Doesn't sound like that big of a difference, but enough that GSP would request time to bulk up.
This is correct I saw a few articles stating it would be a title fight at 185 and GSP moves to middleweight permanently. Also i saw a video on YouTube of Anderson Silva on Brazils cribs and he stated he was 225

iron fists

Awards
i would rather see silva vs. rua instead...it would be more competetive striking..cuz lets face it, st. pierre is gona straight wrestle silva and thats it...plus silva an rua are closer in size..peirre will be 5'10" bulking to cut to 185 and silva is a 6'2" cutting from 225 to make 185.

SeniorXJ

Awards
i would rather see silva vs. rua instead...it would be more competetive striking..cuz lets face it, st. pierre is gona straight wrestle silva and thats it...plus silva an rua are closer in size..peirre will be 5'10" bulking to cut to 185 and silva is a 6'2" cutting from 225 to make 185.

-Thats the worst comments ive ever heard!! If u & i both know that GSP will out wrestle Silva, then Silva should train for it & shut him down if he or anyone wants to call themselves a champion!! Champions train for every outcome thats possible & if wrestling is his weakness & he allows GSP to manhandle him, then he doesnt deserve the belt, period!!!!

-Finding ur opponents weakness & exploiting it, is how u win a championship fight. Besides, Jones will beat Rua in the 1st & im calling that now!!!!

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
-Thats the worst comments ive ever heard!! If u & i both know that GSP will out wrestle Silva, then Silva should train for it & shut him down if he or anyone wants to call themselves a champion!! Champions train for every outcome thats possible & if wrestling is his weakness & he allows GSP to manhandle him, then he doesnt deserve the belt, period!!!!

-Finding ur opponents weakness & exploiting it, is how u win a championship fight. Besides, Jones will beat Rua in the 1st & im calling that now!!!!
I dont think he's saying GSP will win he's just saying that wrestling is all GSP has to offer against Silva. I honestly dont think that GSP can beat Silva. GSP fights lately have been going to decision, he dominates them for 5 rounds and wins. Silva has already proved himself against strong wrestlers in Henderson/Sonnen. I say Silva wins by KO or sub off his back.

Silva vs Rua would be nice but as SeniorXJ stated and i agree Jones will beat Rua. Also Silva stated he is staying at 185 so that wont happen. If i was him i wouldnt go up in weight either beat everyone at 185 and retire as the best.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
fCk it..they should just have a no holds barred match. who cares about the weight - just fight! hahah

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think he's saying GSP will win he's just saying that wrestling is all GSP has to offer against Silva. I honestly dont think that GSP can beat Silva. GSP fights lately have been going to decision, he dominates them for 5 rounds and wins. Silva has already proved himself against strong wrestlers in Henderson/Sonnen. I say Silva wins by KO or sub off his back.

Silva vs Rua would be nice but as SeniorXJ stated and i agree Jones will beat Rua. Also Silva stated he is staying at 185 so that wont happen. If i was him i wouldnt go up in weight either beat everyone at 185 and retire as the best.
He has? I would beg to differ, particularly if we focus on the wrestling aspect of those fights, within which he has certainly not proved himself.

Analyzing both of those fights with a keen stylistic eye, can you foresee GSP being put in similarly compromising positions on the ground? The reality is that Hendo controlled Anderson for the entirety of the first round, while Chael Sonnen quadrupled that feat - only succumbing to a late triangle as he is prone to do.

In fact, I would say Silva has proven himself to possess a gaping void where his defensive wrestling ought to be, a fact exploited even by Travis Lutter multiple times in their fight.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, a good wrestler is the only one beating Anderson. Which is part of the reason I would love to see Rashad drop to 185. He has very good wrestling and strong athleticism, which could pose a threat to Silva

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, a good wrestler is the only one beating Anderson. Which is part of the reason I would love to see Rashad drop to 185. He has very good wrestling and strong athleticism, which could pose a threat to Silva
Excuse the supreme arrogance of an, "I told you so!" moment, but my post history reflects my statement above going back more than two years. In fact, I was even part of the exceedingly small group of individuals who gave Sonnen a legitimate chance against Anderson Silva - due precisely to his poor defensive wrestling ability.

Both Sonnen and Henderson, however, lacked the multi-faceted game necessary to avoid danger from Anderson in all arenas of the fight. My overwhelming, fanboy like bias aside, I think GSP possesses precisely that multi-faceted game.

Now, bearing itself out in the week since Anderson's win is the common, "Well what about the size discrepancy?" mentioned above. Well, if GSP was planning a) to strike with Anderson from range, or b) depend upon brute strength to secure his takedowns, I would concede these are both issues. However, I think it safe enough to admit these would be grievous tactical errors on the part of GSP, errors he is unwilling to make.

On the contrast, he is more likely to use, as he has in the past, his striking game to setup takedowns from inside while changing levels. Again, watching the fights in which Anderson was taken down - Lutter, Hendo, Sonnen - this is a portion of his defensive wrestling he is particularly susceptible to. Despite Sonnen possessing a rudimentary striking game, he was able to setup various takedowns via transition, and Hendo similarly landed a nice body-lock takedown using transitions in the first round of that fight.

On the ground size becomes an issue, but only in the context of length, not sheer mass. Silva's long appendages could pose some serious risk for both armbars and triangles, given the several inches in height GSP will be giving up. Though GSP almost effortlessly waded through the guard of BJ Penn, I would make (the arguable, I agree) claim that Anderson's guard is more dangerous than BJ's. That said, I do not foresee this being a significant component of the right.

The fact of the matter, if I can say that, is Anderson's poor defensive wrestling will be a tremendous tactical advantage for GSP in this fight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The fact of the matter, if I can say that, is Anderson's poor defensive wrestling will be a tremendous tactical advantage for GSP in this fight.
Same song I've been singing for awhile. Very specific (& extraordinary) strength vs very specific weakness. GSP's TD's and wrestling are very technique & timing oriented, as oppose to Bader/Brock bull doze, strength oriented, so strength may play a smaller role then some people feel it will.

Also, this would be the fight where you run down the street nude, wrapped in the Canadian flag, in the situation of a GSP victory.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
He has? I would beg to differ, particularly if we focus on the wrestling aspect of those fights, within which he has certainly not proved himself.

Analyzing both of those fights with a keen stylistic eye, can you foresee GSP being put in similarly compromising positions on the ground? The reality is that Hendo controlled Anderson for the entirety of the first round, while Chael Sonnen quadrupled that feat - only succumbing to a late triangle as he is prone to do.

In fact, I would say Silva has proven himself to possess a gaping void where his defensive wrestling ought to be, a fact exploited even by Travis Lutter multiple times in their fight.
Well Im just basing it off of wins. Yeah Silva's weakness is wrestling however in all those fights you mentioned he found a way to win didnt he? I dont think by any means Silva is unstoppable, he's a human like the rest of us, but he's a very smart fighter and always finds a way to win.

I respect GSP and think he is an outstanding fighter but his fights to me are boring. He dominates you for 25 mins and gets a decision win.

I agree that GSP will put him in compromising positions. But every round is going to start standing and I think that is 5 to many chances for Silva to take out GSP standing up.

I say Silva's far superior striking and reach will be too much for GSP to handle. Silva knows GSP is to going to shoot so to think Silva wont fired a strategically placed knee or kick to GSP's chin is foolish. Look what he did to Belfort when he saw the opening?

If Silva doesnt win via KO or submission by round 3, I greatly give the advantage to GSP in the championship rounds because his cardio is far superior to Silva's.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Silva knows GSP is to going to shoot so to think Silva wont fired a strategically placed knee or kick to GSP's chin is foolish.
On the other hand, every fighter GSP has fought in recent years also "knew he was going to shoot." Knowing its coming and being able to stop it are very different elements. Silva also knew for certain Hendo and Sonnen were going to wrestle and he couldn't stop their TD's. GSP being the zenith of successful TD's in all of MMA will be a handful, regardless of what Silva knows.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the other hand, every fighter GSP has fought in recent years also "knew he was going to shoot." Knowing its coming and being able to stop it are very different elements. Silva also knew for certain Hendo and Sonnen were going to wrestle and he couldn't stop their TD's. GSP being the zenith of successful TD's in all of MMA will be a handful, regardless of what Silva knows.
There's also a big misconception about throwing a knee to end a shot. A good wrestler's best tool is his sense of range. By that I mean knowing how deep to penetrate, when to go for a single instead of double, clinch work, etc. GSP's ability to execute a TD is really a thing of beauty as I have yet to see someone execute (sans Ben Askren) such successful wrestling technique in MMA. He definitely doesn't have the credentials of Coleman, Kerr, Randleman, Lawal, Cormier, etc, but he has the unique ability to combine technical striking with deft wrestling.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, but Anderson Silva walking around @ 220 lbs??? I call that total BS. He's really not big, remember how he said how many Lhw guys are much bigger than he is.

Rampage walks around at 220 lbs, as did "The potbellied one" Liddell who liked growing himself a little Chucky while not preparing for a fight.

GSP vs Silva is a match made in Zuffa heaven. And we all know it'll happen.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry, but Anderson Silva walking around @ 220 lbs??? I call that total BS. He's really not big, remember how he said how many Lhw guys are much bigger than he is.

Rampage walks around at 220 lbs, as did "The potbellied one" Liddell who liked growing himself a little Chucky while not preparing for a fight.

GSP vs Silva is a match made in Zuffa heaven. And we all know it'll happen.
Rampage gets FAT between fights. In fact, he was offered to fight Shogun, but said his weight would be too much of a concern. He gets in the 240's between fights.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rampage gets FAT between fights. In fact, he was offered to fight Shogun, but said his weight would be too much of a concern. He gets in the 240's between fights.
He's taking a page from the Lee Priest play book.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well Im just basing it off of wins. Yeah Silva's weakness is wrestling however in all those fights you mentioned he found a way to win didnt he? I dont think by any means Silva is unstoppable, he's a human like the rest of us, but he's a very smart fighter and always finds a way to win.
So again, based off his wins, you want to purchase the idea that he fights well against wrestlers. This would normally be no problem, except you are unwilling to pay the high cost of recognizing how those fights played our prior to the victory.

Namely, these fights played out in such ways that more tactical, well-rounded wrestler would be able to capitalize on.

I agree that GSP will put him in compromising positions. But every round is going to start standing and I think that is 5 to many chances for Silva to take out GSP standing up.
Except he took out neither Sonnen nor Henderson via strikes, being particularly tentative on the feet with the latter. You are underestimating how little faith Anderson Silva has in his defensive wrestling, and how much that has effected him against strong takedown artists.

I say Silva's far superior striking and reach will be too much for GSP to handle. Silva knows GSP is to going to shoot so to think Silva wont fired a strategically placed knee or kick to GSP's chin is foolish. Look what he did to Belfort when he saw the opening?
So, a well-timed front kick against an opponent who has attempted something like ten takedowns in his last seven fights is an indicator of what Anderson will do to a competent wrestler? If a "strategically placed" knee against GSP is so easy to unfold, than why have his other opponents failed to? For that matter, why did Silva fail to land such a knee on Sonnen, a slower wrestler?

As Rodja says, GSP's wrestling is based on transition. Strategically-placing anything is difficult when you have no idea it exists.

iron fists

Awards
well actually if you pay attention..you can easily see in some dos santos pre-fight walkouts that silva at those times is just as big as dos santos. but the reason silva was able to defeat sonnen and hendo's wrestling style was because they did more than wreslte once the fight hit the ground...they both tried to ground and pound silva..especially sonnen..and thats what leaves openings for a bjj guy, whereas gsp holds you down and uses great position with minimal damage and striking leaving small room for him to get caught. I couldnt agree more that silva's lenght will be a bigger issue than his weight on the ground but that is only in his guard...whereas holding him down in side mount might be a different story..especially if gsp tries to strike or submit. I had only mentioned rua vs silva in my initial post was because one is the best striker in mma period and the other is close behind. and jones beating rua is being discussed like jones is untouchable...was it just me or did the pressure and nerves effect jones and bader's performance..even though jones did win..he didnt look as good as he has before imo..and a title shot has more pressure than facing bader and i am sure rua wont have the gun shy jitters like bader did.jones is good..but rua is a huge step in opponent quality...he goes from not even top ten opponents to number 1.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
i'm not so sure about the Jones dominating Shogun as everyone is saying. I think a lot of people have been astonished by Jones's success as of late, as well as the fashion in which he has finished fights, but either didn't follow Shogun in Pride or just kind of forgot. Do I think Bones has the skill and tools to beat Shogun? Yes. does he have the confidence? Yes. The experience? Maybe not as far as shere multitude of fights, but he definitely has some credentials based on the quality of fighters he has faced. However, Shogun is an intelligent guy, he has a lot of quality wins, he's a jiu-jitsu black belt, he's not going to come in with some crazy, weak shot that Jones can sprawl out of. I think Shogun's biggest problem will be Jones's length. If he stays on the outside, it'll be hard to land shots because of the insane reach of Jones. If he comes inside or clinches, he has the risk of beign taken down. However, he's not gonna lie flat on his back like Matyushenko or Hamill.

It also annoys me how all these guys are calling out a Jones win like it'd be some kind anamoly. The guys favored almost 2 to 1, not an upset guys.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
Excuse the supreme arrogance of an, "I told you so!" moment, but my post history reflects my statement above going back more than two years. In fact, I was even part of the exceedingly small group of individuals who gave Sonnen a legitimate chance against Anderson Silva - due precisely to his poor defensive wrestling ability.

Both Sonnen and Henderson, however, lacked the multi-faceted game necessary to avoid danger from Anderson in all arenas of the fight. My overwhelming, fanboy like bias aside, I think GSP possesses precisely that multi-faceted game.

Now, bearing itself out in the week since Anderson's win is the common, "Well what about the size discrepancy?" mentioned above. Well, if GSP was planning a) to strike with Anderson from range, or b) depend upon brute strength to secure his takedowns, I would concede these are both issues. However, I think it safe enough to admit these would be grievous tactical errors on the part of GSP, errors he is unwilling to make.

On the contrast, he is more likely to use, as he has in the past, his striking game to setup takedowns from inside while changing levels. Again, watching the fights in which Anderson was taken down - Lutter, Hendo, Sonnen - this is a portion of his defensive wrestling he is particularly susceptible to. Despite Sonnen possessing a rudimentary striking game, he was able to setup various takedowns via transition, and Hendo similarly landed a nice body-lock takedown using transitions in the first round of that fight.

On the ground size becomes an issue, but only in the context of length, not sheer mass. Silva's long appendages could pose some serious risk for both armbars and triangles, given the several inches in height GSP will be giving up. Though GSP almost effortlessly waded through the guard of BJ Penn, I would make (the arguable, I agree) claim that Anderson's guard is more dangerous than BJ's. That said, I do not foresee this being a significant component of the right.

^^^ for reals.... and have you guys ever seen Hendo or Sonnen go for submissions even from the top for the most part? GSP has pulled off some slick submissions and even when he's man-loving a man for 5 rounds, he has a myriad of kimura attempts, straight armbar attempts, etc. He has a jiu-jitsu element than neither Hendo or Sonnen had. I have Anderson winning this fight, but that's more due to bias than anything. GSP WILL take Anderson down if he doesn't get knocked out in the first minute. It is inevitable. He will engage long enough to set up a takedown, he's the king at that. And if whoever says that Anderson will land a straight kick or knee on the takedown consistently obviously hasn't seen the unpredictability and quick transition of GSP from striking to takedowns. Guys that get caught with knees telegraph the takedown. Having said that, it's Anderson Silva...anything could happen.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
Not to mention Hendo really isn't that big of a guy. Probably naturally built a little bigger than GSP, but it's not like he's a Rampage or anything. I've heard people say he's solid as a rock, but to say he has a lot of strength on GSP would be unfair. Anderson obviously has the size advantage, but like quoted earlier, the takedown won't be due to strength advantage (anderson is deceptively strong) but tactical superiority in the execution of the takedown. For the most part GSP, other than BJ, GSP hasn't faced anyone who has aggressive jiu-jitsu from the bottom recently. This could be another factor.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to mention Hendo really isn't that big of a guy. Probably naturally built a little bigger than GSP, but it's not like he's a Rampage or anything. I've heard people say he's solid as a rock, but to say he has a lot of strength on GSP would be unfair. Anderson obviously has the size advantage, but like quoted earlier, the takedown won't be due to strength advantage (anderson is deceptively strong) but tactical superiority in the execution of the takedown. For the most part GSP, other than BJ, GSP hasn't faced anyone who has aggressive jiu-jitsu from the bottom recently. This could be another factor.
I have seen Henderson on a number of occasions, due to autograph signings at supplement conferences, and he is not a massive individual. One could easily mistake him for an average individual walking down the street.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
So again, based off his wins, you want to purchase the idea that he fights well against wrestlers. This would normally be no problem, except you are unwilling to pay the high cost of recognizing how those fights played our prior to the victory.

Namely, these fights played out in such ways that more tactical, well-rounded wrestler would be able to capitalize on.

Except he took out neither Sonnen nor Henderson via strikes, being particularly tentative on the feet with the latter. You are underestimating how little faith Anderson Silva has in his defensive wrestling, and how much that has effected him against strong takedown artists.

So, a well-timed front kick against an opponent who has attempted something like ten takedowns in his last seven fights is an indicator of what Anderson will do to a competent wrestler? If a "strategically placed" knee against GSP is so easy to unfold, than why have his other opponents failed to? For that matter, why did Silva fail to land such a knee on Sonnen, a slower wrestler?

As Rodja says, GSP's wrestling is based on transition. Strategically-placing anything is difficult when you have no idea it exists.
Well we are all just speculating here, we will see soon what the outcome is. Who knows Silva could run around the cage again and make Dana White and Zuffa's head spin like in the Maia fight. :lol:

I like both Silva and GSP and think they are both 2 of the best fighters. I think Silva is a phenomenal striker and GSP a phenomenal wrestler.

But I'll put my money on Silva and would rather watch him any day over GSP's boring decision wins.

Regardless this will be a must see fight with either of the p4p best coming out on top.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well we are all just speculating here, we will see soon what the outcome is. Who knows Silva could run around the cage again and make Dana White and Zuffa's head spin like in the Maia fight. :lol:

I like both Silva and GSP and think they are both 2 of the best fighters. I think Silva is a phenomenal striker and GSP a phenomenal wrestler.

But I'll put my money on Silva and would rather watch him any day over GSP's boring decision wins.

Regardless this will be a must see fight with either of the p4p best coming out on top.
Did you forget (and I wish I could) Silva's fights against Maia, Leites, and Cote? Not only were those amongst the worst fights I've ever seen, they were a disgrace to MMA and the UFC, especially when it was the main event each time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you forget (and I wish I could) Silva's fights against Maia, Leites, and Cote? Not only were those amongst the worst fights I've ever seen, they were a disgrace to MMA and the UFC, especially when it was the main event each time.
Agreed. That is what fascinates me about MMA fans, particularly Anderson Silva fans: prior to the Belfort fight, three out of his last four title defences were awful embarrassments to the sport, and his fourth was an absolute drubbing.

Yet some consider him the pound-for-pound best fighter on the planet - particularly moreso after knocking out Vitor Belfort, a fighter on the IR for over a year, who had never fought at MW in the UFC, whose best win in five years is Franklin, etc.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
ill agree with you their those fights were awful. Silva can do amazing things sometimes though that I've never seen in anything other then a movie but you never know what Silva is getting in the cage.

GSP is amazing but his fights are nothing spectacular he shoots lays on top and dominates you over and over until the bell rings. He gets the job done no doubt, i just wish he had more KO's and submission wins.

Me personally could careless about their records I just wish guys would go in and leave it all in the cage and put on a show.

iron fists

Awards
but what do they with fitch if he beats penn?? everyone else that has been in his spot has gotten repeat title shots...but it seems win or lose fitch has been written off for another shot...i mean if gsp beats silva or loses to him...where does a rematch with fitch ever come in to play??? or will it?..thats the only thing about the silva vs. gsp fight..since they are both going for the best p4p ever..what does the loser do? retire? by making one man the best ever..the fight will also somewhat tarnish the others success.

SeniorXJ

Awards
Wow, too much replies to read so ill make this short & sweet...
-GSP may have taken the last few fights to perfect decision victories, BUT in totaly different styles!! He took Hardy down at will cauz he had no wrestling defense, then he pumped a jab into Koschecks face over & over until the man couldnt see!! He said afterwards that Kos has a "round" punching style & he simply beat him to the punch!! In either case, GSP showed his ability to exploit his opponents weakness & drag them into the championship rounds were GSP gains more of the advantage over his opponents!!

-Altho i will say that it would be nice to see GSP go out there & pull a 1st round knockout to regain this nicname "Rush" & show some dominence rather then a well played chess match!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but what do they with fitch if he beats penn?? everyone else that has been in his spot has gotten repeat title shots...but it seems win or lose fitch has been written off for another shot...i mean if gsp beats silva or loses to him...where does a rematch with fitch ever come in to play??? or will it?..thats the only thing about the silva vs. gsp fight..since they are both going for the best p4p ever..what does the loser do? retire? by making one man the best ever..the fight will also somewhat tarnish the others success.
If GSP moves up, he's said it will be a permanent move. My guess would be that they would match Fitch with Condit, Diego, or Kampmann.