Anderson Box squats

L4T3R4LUS46n2

Awards
I'm just throwing this movement out there because i find it very interesting and fun. Anyone out there use this lift as a foundation of their squats for the carryover affect; or is it not really a lift that will help you progress in strength.

And for those who don't know what the anderson box squat is ill tell you.

its basically a box squat but you start from the bottom of the squat instead of standing i.e. making focus more on the concentric portion of the squat to get out of the "hole". Some people also call them bottom-up squats too i believe.

honestly i love doing these squats in combination with snatch pulls. it gives the power look, strength, and feel while doing them, and i would like to believe that they would be more of a benefit then just some extra movement to take up time at the gym. so any thoughts or expeirence with these squats would be gnarly.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Uhm, an Anderson box squat is a box squat.

A box squat has you pausing at the bottom while sitting on the box. I feel its safer than an anderson squat as you can be tight enough in the right places to minimize injuries but stay on the box long enough to lose the elastic bounce from the muscles when you first drop down.

L4T3R4LUS46n2

Awards
close but no.
it does involve a pause on every rep,but that is when you deload (to cause more difficulty)and set back up again when you drop onto the box
it does involve the eccentric phase of the box squat but the primary movement revolves around the concentric portion i.e. the standing portion.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've found that the exercise that gives the best carryover to my competition squat IS my competition squat. So I focus on those. After that, I do a slight modification of what you're referring to, a pause squat, where instead of a box, I use my own hips, hams, and ass, and instead of pins, I use my own upper back. More carryover, less setup time, less guesswork.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
close but no.
it does involve a pause on every rep,but that is when you deload (to cause more difficulty)and set back up again when you drop onto the box
it does involve the eccentric phase of the box squat but the primary movement revolves around the concentric portion i.e. the standing portion.
So how do you get the bar to the bottom? On each rep do you rack at the top and lower it down some way?

The Anderson squat is meant to take out the stretch reflex. By pausing at the bottom on the box you also take out the stretch reflex and while staying tight so you know you are set up and will minimize injury. Again, if you are doing Anderson box squats you are over complicating things.