Age groupe

degilbert

Awards
Ok, I need more advice. My 14 year old is wanting to start working out with me. I have been on working out for a little over a year now and he is starting to see the results. My question is.... Is 14 too early to start? I know the weight is important. But I hear so many people tell me that 14 is too young. I have allowed him to do some lifting with lite weight. Mostly just the bar, and cable pulls. Now he is wanting a schedule and increase in weight. Has anybody had any experience with starting a new teen out?

Natty4Life

Natty4Life

Awards
That's about the age I started out. I don't see why it would not be okay. If he can physically handle the increase in weight while maintaining good form then why not? There are no scientific facts stating that lifting weights stunts growth by any means.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
That's about the age I started out. I don't see why it would not be okay. If he can physically handle the increase in weight while maintaining good form then why not? There are no scientific facts stating that lifting weights stunts growth by any means.
This. As long as form stays strong, I haven't seen a single piece of evidence behind the growth stunting myth. May not be best to approach maximal loads and risk form failure but increasing loads, sure.

lobsterD

Awards
14 is not to early to start I am 14 and 140 pound 12% bf. As long as there is a spotter he should be fine

Ironhead4life

Ironhead4life

Awards
My son started before that and he is now 21 years old and 6'1" tall so no stunted growth of that's your concern. He isn't too young buddy. I started that young as well.

Deleted member 238667

I wouldn't recommend heavy squats or deadlifts yet, but working on form with higher reps should be great for him! Best of luck!

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I need more advice. My 14 year old is wanting to start working out with me. I have been on working out for a little over a year now and he is starting to see the results. My question is.... Is 14 too early to start? I know the weight is important. But I hear so many people tell me that 14 is too young. I have allowed him to do some lifting with lite weight. Mostly just the bar, and cable pulls. Now he is wanting a schedule and increase in weight. Has anybody had any experience with starting a new teen out?
I started bodybuilding at 13 y/o (been a long time haha). There is no reason at all that he can't lift with you as long as you teach him to focus on perfect form and not on lifting a sh** ton of weight. The biggest mistake that young kids make is lifting extremely heavy and throwing form out the window. This leads to many injuries down the road. Even some that could leave them in pain for the rest of their lives (shoulder injuries, knees, and others). HOWEVER, if you teach him perfect form then he should be good to go!

Also, I would focus on 12-20 reps per set at the beginning since he is young and just learning to lift weights. This will give great muscle growth while at the same time allowing him to focus on form and contracting the muscle. Try to make sure he knows that heavy weight isn't everything. Strength gains come along with proper form. Once he starts seeing the results from proper lifting then he will figure that out on his own I'm sure.

Congrats on a great father/son bond! I can't wait until my son is old enough to lift with me!

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
agree with everyone else, i started when I was 14 (the earliest they would let me into the gym). My dad made me do light weight with higher reps, focusing on feeling the movement and developing proper kinesiology. Currently at 6' 187lb 7% so no stunted growth at all.