Advice on blood pressure

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
I went to the doctors yesterday due to a respiratory cold and my blood pressure was 142/73. I am only 32 years old and am in the gym 5 days a week weight training for around 60-90 minutes. I am 5 foot 8 192 pounds around 10-12% bf. My diet consists of lean protein meats, whey protein, and carbs from oats and rice. Fats are from 8oz of 93% lean beef and 2 tbsp of almond butter per day. I have been consistently eating these foods for more then 90 days now while trying to pack on some lean mass. Caffeine is pre workout before gym only. No more than 300mg of caffeine per day. Lastly, I’m on trt but have been running 400mg of test C per week for 14 weeks now. I am trying to seek advice on how to go about improving this situation. Blood pressure as we all know can be pretty scary on the bodybuilding world. TIA for any reaponses.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I went to the doctors yesterday due to a respiratory cold and my blood pressure was 142/73. I am only 32 years old and am in the gym 5 days a week weight training for around 60-90 minutes. I am 5 foot 8 192 pounds around 10-12% bf. My diet consists of lean protein meats, whey protein, and carbs from oats and rice. Fats are from 8oz of 93% lean beef and 2 tbsp of almond butter per day. I have been consistently eating these foods for more then 90 days now while trying to pack on some lean mass. Caffeine is pre workout before gym only. No more than 300mg of caffeine per day. Lastly, I’m on trt but have been running 400mg of test C per week for 14 weeks now. I am trying to seek advice on how to go about improving this situation. Blood pressure as we all know can be pretty scary on the bodybuilding world. TIA for any reaponses.
Haveing a cold makes your blood pressure go up and being anxious makes your bp go up and as the day goes on your bp goes up depending on what your doing.

So the first thing you need to do is check yiur bp first thing upon waking when your not sick and get a accurate reading.

When I go to the doctor my blood pressure always is on the higher side. Well it makes sense Because we usually go to the doctor when something's wrong with us.

Get a cuff and start checking every morning when you wake up

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Haveing a cold makes your blood pressure go up and being anxious makes your bp go up and as the day goes on your bp goes up depending on what your doing.

So the first thing you need to do is check yiur bp first thing upon waking when your not sick and get a accurate reading.

When I go to the doctor my blood pressure always is on the higher side. Well it makes sense Because we usually go to the doctor when something's wrong with us.

Yes that’s what I was thinking. I am going to order a blood cuff today and start a journal to be on the safe side. Being sick, caffeine intake, work, kids, and trt it’s really hard to determine what is causing the spike with all the factors. Is there any supplements that may support lowering blood pressure that you can recommend?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
last june I had as systolic number of like 189, I don't remember the diastolic number. I was at Dr Snips getting a consultation for vasectomy and they let me know after arriving they were going to fondle my boys to make sure I was anatomically viable. The office was disgusting, stained walls, stained carpets, the staff was unkempt, still wearing covid masks etc and they told me I couldn't even leave their office if my bp didn't come down by the end of the appt.

It did come down though and my regular doc has again checked me, aside from having a heart murmor since birth she said i'm likely fine but said if I have any true concerns just get a cuff and do it at home when relaxed in the right position for better numbers. I have done that with mom and dads cuff and my bp appears to be fine to be honest.

that said I do what I can to encourage it.
there is some research that suggests that even just having a fish tank can lower your blood pressure, so I try to take time every night to enjoy my saltwater tank and check in on my corals.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
well u say u have been running 400 mgs of test per week. 😉
I dont really think bumping 200 trt to 400 test would effect the majority of people's blood pressure to a significant degree, maybe a slight bump but not 150/90 unless your holding a boatload of water. Im on 600 test, 600eq and 70 tren, i been sick the past few days but my last day i checked bp was thursday 117/84. Of course everyone is different but i would look at the cold and the other factors before i looked at a measily 200mg bump to my trt.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
At the same time, ask yiur dr. For telmasartan or valsartan or whatever What do you think is right for you. Telmasartan is a homerun for most steroid users. It lowers bp, drops water weight, burns fat, lowers chlosterol, lowers hematocrit, gives you better boners, seriously, why not lol.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
At the same time, ask yiur dr. For telmasartan or valsartan or whatever What do you think is right for you. Telmasartan is a homerun for most steroid users. It lowers bp, drops water weight, burns fat, lowers chlosterol, lowers hematocrit, gives you better boners, seriously, why not lol.
I’ve never heard of telmasartan but sounds like a home run. Is that some that you have to take long term once you start? I’m going to research it too.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
I’ve never heard of telmasartan but sounds like a home run. Is that some that you have to take long term once you start? I’m going to research it too.
I also just ordered a blood cuff which will be here today so will be able to get some fresh reads in. I’m really thinking this respiratory infection has just effed me up. I have no appetite and have already went down from 198 to 192 this morning in just a matter of 3 days.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Doctor just put me on Prednisone for 6 days which I’m sure will help me get over being sick but will probably raise my BP too.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Its a medication. Arb, Angiotension receptor blocker. Its a daily medication. Even guys who dont need it take 20mg A day as a precautionary measure just because it has so many benefits. On cycle i take 40mg, i know a few that take 80 and 120 is the highest dosevive ever seen. Look into it.

If i was gonna put togther a little stack That was sustainable year round it would be a little bit of test and deca with telmasartan, low dose daily cailis and some hgh
Doctor just put me on Prednisone for 6 days which I’m sure will help me get over being sick but will probably raise my BP too.
Yep, prednisone also will spike your bp. Your blood pressure temporary elevated is not a big deal, It's when it's elevated for long chunks of time then its a big deal.

So get healthy first and then worry about your bp cus it may just be temporary. I would still check my bp every morning tho

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Its a medication. Arb, Angiotension receptor blocker. Its a daily medication. Even guys who dont need it take 20mg A day as a precautionary measure just because it has so many benefits. On cycle i take 40mg, i know a few that take 80 and 120 is the highest dosevive ever seen. Look into it.

If i was gonna put togther a little stack That was sustainable year round it would be a little bit of test and deca with telmasartan, low dose daily cailis and some hgh

Yep, prednisone also will spike your bp. Your blood pressure temporary elevated is not a big deal, It's when it's elevated for long chunks of time then its a big deal.

So get healthy first and then worry about your bp cus it may just be temporary. I would still check my bp every morning tho
I appreciate all of the advice! Im going to start tracking everyday staring now and when I’m over being sick and off the meds check to see if that makes a difference to to ensure that I don’t need any bp meds yet on only just 400 test but its good to know for future reference.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I appreciate all of the advice! Im going to start tracking everyday staring now and when I’m over being sick and off the meds check to see if that makes a difference to to ensure that I don’t need any bp meds yet on only just 400 test but its good to know for future reference.
And dont completely disregard what @xR1pp3Rx said either. There is still a definate possibility its the 400 test. If you weren't sick I would have assumed that's the issue, but you got a lot of factors And it sounds to me like this The first time you've seen your blood pressure high and it's not something that Is a reaccurring thing

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
anything over 300 per week sends my BP into the same range he gets.. my wife ( a nurse) shows 0 concern at those pressures so long as it transient and trends lower during rest. I don't think it's much to pine on. take some standard otc preps to keep it on the lower side.

also smont.. don't you do like 40 thousand hours of cardio, boxing and bag work a week? of course yours is lower than most everyone! 💩

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
anything over 300 per week sends my BP into the same range he gets.. my wife ( a nurse) shows 0 concern at those pressures so long as it transient and trends lower during rest. I don't think it's much to pine on. take some standard otc preps to keep it on the lower side.

also smont.. don't you do like 40 thousand hours of cardio, boxing and bag work a week? of course yours is lower than most everyone! 💩
I do a **** ton of cardio normally but not in the past few weeks, but my cardio definately makes a difference. I forget about that sometimes lol

I do probably 5 hours of high intensity cardio and another 5 hours of steady state every week. Its not set in stone but its a lot for most ppl. If im cutting or training for something i do double that lol

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
And dont completely disregard what @xR1pp3Rx said either. There is still a definate possibility its the 400 test. If you weren't sick I would have assumed that's the issue, but you got a lot of factors And it sounds to me like this The first time you've seen your blood pressure high and it's not something that Is a reaccurring thing
Most definitely. I am going to pay close attention and cut back on the dose soon anyway. I am almost at the 16 week mark of 400 test.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There's been a lot of good information in the thread already.

A couple things I wanted to add, and I apologize if someone else mentioned these and I missed it.

The most accurate measurement of blood pressure is repeated tests - like keeping a log of what BP is at a certain time of the day. For me, when I was having issues with mine I was recording numbers first thing in the morning and at night.

When/if you get your home test cuff, take it with you to the doctor. Get your blood pressure checked at the doctor and then check it with your cuff. You can do that in your car right after or many doctors offices will let you bring it in to check. It's important to know if there is a difference between the reading it will give you and the reading at the doctor.

People with larger arms blood pressure can be off if a normal cuff size is used.

We offer three products that all help with blood pressure, including one blood pressure specific one. The one that would best suit a persons needs may vary by the person.

If overall cardiovascular support is the primary goal, then Cardiovascular Support XT.

If kidney support is the goal, then Kidney Assist XT - and its important to note that Kidney Assist XT has ingredients in it that do help with blood pressure in general, but also, kidney health is very important for cardiovascular health and blood pressure.

If wanting a specialized blood pressure support product, then Blood Pressure Support XT is a great product and contains multiple clinically researched patented ingredients and targets blood pressure from a variety of angles. It is so potent that some people find that they may not even need the full dose.

Here are links to the discussion threads on these here on AM so you can see feedback:

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
There's been a lot of good information in the thread already.

A couple things I wanted to add, and I apologize if someone else mentioned these and I missed it.

The most accurate measurement of blood pressure is repeated tests - like keeping a log of what BP is at a certain time of the day. For me, when I was having issues with mine I was recording numbers first thing in the morning and at night.

When/if you get your home test cuff, take it with you to the doctor. Get your blood pressure checked at the doctor and then check it with your cuff. You can do that in your car right after or many doctors offices will let you bring it in to check. It's important to know if there is a difference between the reading it will give you and the reading at the doctor.

People with larger arms blood pressure can be off if a normal cuff size is used.

We offer three products that all help with blood pressure, including one blood pressure specific one. The one that would best suit a persons needs may vary by the person.

If overall cardiovascular support is the primary goal, then Cardiovascular Support XT.

If kidney support is the goal, then Kidney Assist XT - and its important to note that Kidney Assist XT has ingredients in it that do help with blood pressure in general, but also, kidney health is very important for cardiovascular health and blood pressure.

If wanting a specialized blood pressure support product, then Blood Pressure Support XT is a great product and contains multiple clinically researched patented ingredients and targets blood pressure from a variety of angles. It is so potent that some people find that they may not even need the full dose.

Here are links to the discussion threads on these here on AM so you can see feedback:

Thank you for the info. That’s a good take away bringing the cuffs to the doctors to compare. The cuffs I bought are 17.5 for arm size. My arm size is around that size so i think it should work just fine.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the info. That’s a good take away bringing the cuffs to the doctors to compare. The cuffs I bought are 17.5 for arm size. My arm size is around that size so i think it should work just fine.
Also not a bad idea logging afternoon reads along with doing morning reads

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You're very welcome. I'm glad to help in any way that I can.

I'm glad that the one you bought had the option for that size. Some of them don't and a lot of people don't realize the importance of the size cuff and the difference it can make.

If afternoon readings are convenient, I think its a great idea. I do morning and night ones because that's when I know I'll actually do them, but an afternoon one would be great too.

Although on some of my stressful days I'm pretty sure my machine would probably have a heart attack itself lol.

Anabolic66

Anabolic66

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Great advice... Some folks have white-coat syndrome (BP takes off at Dr 's office). Mine does a bit so he has me take it at home and print it out and bring it w/ me. At 57, mine is always just under the 120/70 score (115/67, etc) at the Doctors its much higher.

The OMRON cuffs on Amazon are very good. Just dont get a wrist cuff (not as accurate)..

Anabolic66

Anabolic66

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also, Carditone is a good OTC BP product (I get Himalaya's "Serpina" which has same active ingredient for pennies... Carditone is pricy..

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Also, Carditone is a good OTC BP product (I get Himalaya's "Serpina" which has same active ingredient for pennies... Carditone is pricy..
Carditone for a lot of good reviews. Have you used this before and noticed a difference?

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pressure will vary during the day. If using a cuff try to take at same time of day, first upon waking is typical and usually the lowest. Use as a guide mostly and if measuring every day use an average due to variations. Some cold med's can raise BP, but you probably knew that. Several natural things to control, Hawthorn extract, takes a while to effect and is best used long term, for immediate response better to try Celery seed w/ 3nB (focus factor's)
Measurement results will vary during the day with morning typically lowest. Do not panic if one result comes back elevated because it's the long term elevation which is detrimental so look at recoding results and take an ongoing average

Last edited:
Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Great advice... Some folks have white-coat syndrome (BP takes off at Dr 's office). Mine does a bit so he has me take it at home and print it out and bring it w/ me. At 57, mine is always just under the 120/70 score (115/67, etc) at the Doctors its much higher...
Went thru this myself a couple months ago, my doc called it the same thing…I was anxious about my cholesterol which turned out to not be cause for alarm…and I went a good few years without doctors appointments in general…

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Between the cold and white coat syndrome, this likely explains the high systolic reading at the office.

As mentioned, get a quality (not the cheapest) cuff reader to begin monitoring at home first thing in the mornings. Make sure you order a cuff appropriately sized for your arm. You very likely need a larger one as a lifter of your height and weight to get accurate readings.

If you still find readings to be elevated, you need to consider 14 weeks of increased could absolutely have thickened your blood. You can order private lab work online, ask your doctor for it, or go to a Red Cross and they will at least check hemoglobin levels before letting you donate. If your blood is too thick/getting thicker, that raises your blood pressure as thicker blood becomes harder to pump. If it is found that your hematocrit/hemoglobin are out of range, donating will likely resolve this. If hemoglobin is under 17, don’t donate (unless you just want to).

I take Cardiovascular Support XT & Kidney Assist XT year round right now at my size to help maintain in range BP while off blast. If I need more aggressive temporary support when using more aggressive steroid doses, I add Telmisartan on top of those. These handle everything very well.

I have used Carditone as a short term bandaid, but it’s inferior IMO as a longterm option. The price on it has also risen significantly over time.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
white coat syndrome
I definitely have this. Every time I go to the doctor they tell me I have high blood pressure. I ask if they can recheck at the end of the appointment and it's always much lower at the end.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you do any cardio?

Some aerobic work and making sure you get adequate fiber (and or through some fruits and vegetables) are some good ideas outside of what everyone else has been touching on.

beefyfan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you had taken any cold medication, that too can cause a spike.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Do you do any cardio?

Some aerobic work and making sure you get adequate fiber (and or through some fruits and vegetables) are some good ideas outside of what everyone else has been touching on.
Yes I definitely need to start implementing cardio. Looking at me you would think I’m in great shape but my cardio is not strong. I do weight training around 60-90 minutes a day but not the same.