Acne Might Be Linked to Vitamins Deficiencies

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Alternative Approach : Acne Might Be Linked to Vitamins Deficiencies

Chicago Daily Herald

05-31-06

Acne is the bane of the teenage years. For most teenagers, it is merely bothersome, seeming to appear at the most inopportune times. For some, however, it can be severe, leaving both physical and emotional scars.

Traditional therapy for severe acne is successful, but what if a simple lifestyle change could change the severity of the disease? The answer might be vitamins or, more exactly, a deficiency of specific vitamins.

Acne is the result of the buildup of bacteria, skin cells and oils in blocked skin pores resulting in the typical pimples and deeper cysts or nodules. Acne can appear over the upper body, including face, neck, chest, back and shoulders and last for years.

The incidence of acne is surprisingly constant world wide, at about 6 percent to 8 percent of the population in any specific country. In the U.S., about 17 million people have acne, and 85 percent of them are between ages 12 and 24. It has been estimated that more than 40 percent of teens will seek professional medical treatment for their acne.

Although numerous medical studies have not found a strong link between specific foods, like chocolate and pizza, and acne, there might be a relationship between blood levels of the vitamins A and E and the severity of acne.

A recent medical study, published in Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, determined that severe acne was more common in those teenagers with lower blood levels of vitamins A and E. In this study, blood levels of both vitamins A and E were measured and compared to 100 age-matched teenagers without acne. Interestingly, those with the lowest levels of vitamins A and E had the most severe acne.

Vitamins A and E are very important for normal skin and tissue function and their absorption depends on both being present in sufficient quantity. In earlier studies, it was demonstrated that increased dietary vitamin E is needed for optimal absorption of vitamin A. With low levels of dietary vitamin E, even robust amounts of vitamins A were not absorbed.

Teenagers might be at greater risk of specific vitamin deficiency (and acne) for a variety of reasons. They simply might not eat three good meals a day and, as a result, do not get enough vitamins. In addition, the increased growth and metabolism seen in the teen years might use up vitamins faster than can be replaced by diet alone.

Although a vitamin deficiency seems to be related to severe acne, researchers do not know if severe acne can be improved with increased vitamin A and E consumption. It seems prudent, however, to have a diet that is rich in vitamins A and E.

Vitamin A is in fish, liver, egg yolks, butter and green and yellow vegetables. Vitamin E is found in wheat germ, liver, eggs, Brazil nuts, seeds, olive and canola oils and leafy vegetables like spinach and kale.

- Patrick B. Massey, M.D., Ph.D., is medical director for alternative and complementary medicine for Alexian Brothers Hospital Network.

KingLouisXXIV

Awards
I've heard countless stories of people with acne who start to eat healthier and the acne goes away....

Definitely believable.

Also have heard stories of Omega-3 FA's helping too.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I see where they are going with this. Vitamins and especially omega 3s pretty much eliminate the problem in many cases, but the cause is still hormonal. I mean everyone remembers the crazy testosterone production when they were a teen. the skin is just producing wayyy too much oil and dirt gets trapped underneath. sure vitamins help but if your hormones are raging, like with sauce users, you will break out.

purebred

I noticed quite an improvement when I started taking several grams of omega 3's (Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega). Great article.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
when i started on my multi, my acne went away

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
dht type supplements make me break out bad! I have to alternate them so i can clear up my face then tear it up again:)

Blueberry Hil

Awards
My exercise trainer began eating a low carb/ paleo diet along with adding the supplements vitamin D3 and fish oil around two weeks ago. He had a decent amount of acne. Surprisingly his zits have all but cleared up. He was excited about it.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
as well as toxicities. show similar effects as deficiencies

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I see where they are going with this. Vitamins and especially omega 3s pretty much eliminate the problem in many cases, but the cause is still hormonal. I mean everyone remembers the crazy testosterone production when they were a teen. the skin is just producing wayyy too much oil and dirt gets trapped underneath. sure vitamins help but if your hormones are raging, like with sauce users, you will break out.
I respect this opinion, but some people are more acne prone than others. Some people can inject ten times the test of a horny teenager, and keep there nice skin. I really think we should keep looking for ways to make acne prone people less acne prone.

bigshoulders

Awards
I read somewhere that there are links between acne and insulin production. People who are prone to acne may be prone to developing diabetes later on.
Sorry don't have the link, but I did read it.
However, it makes sense to cut down on high GI carbs.

On vitamin A and E deficiency. Those vitamins are particularly common in Vegetables, so it is likely that teens with severe acne are not eating those vegetables. What are they likely eating instead? A poor sugar ridden diet, which will raise insulin levels which along with androgens, leads to acne.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I read somewhere that there are links between acne and insulin production. People who are prone to acne may be prone to developing diabetes later on.
Sorry don't have the link, but I did read it.
However, it makes sense to cut down on high GI carbs.

On vitamin A and E deficiency. Those vitamins are particularly common in Vegetables, so it is likely that teens with severe acne are not eating those vegetables. What are they likely eating instead? A poor sugar ridden diet, which will raise insulin levels which along with androgens, leads to acne.
Interesting. Now that you mention that I've seen that in others.

CJSalcedo

Awards
I think acne tends to be caused more by hormones and genetics. Especially around puberty kids start producing their respective sex hormone and the body has to adapt. Until more studies are done I'm not sure we can truly know.

poisonesspimp

Awards
I can honestly vouch that acne has nothing to do with what you eat. I have eaten so healthy over the last 6-8 monthes due to severe acne. It didn't help at all. My body is in good shape and the only problem I am now working with is higher testosterone. Food is insufficient when it comes to acne, hormones are what does it. For example cortisol causing an inflammitory response showing up in the skin dude to stress or over active adrenals..Also testosterone and dht play a role as well I noticed more acne when my testosterone went up to 1170 recently before that it was half that..Now my acne is out of control. Food is only so much of it and I supplement with alll the good vitamins separetly at different times of the day so they don't cancel eachother out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jbtwentytwo Anabolics 16
Trufitnessman2022 Anabolics 12
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
TravD77 Anabolics 2
Anabolics 11