Abcess scare......

tommyboy

Awards
My friend was freaking me out today telling me about how he got a abcess (not from pinning but from something else) And I remember hearing you can get one if you pin wrong. What things do I need to to make sure I NEVER get one. And is that possible. I wipe the vial with alcchy pad then area and area afterwards too..... Also I injected into my calf the other day and now its kind of got a red circle around it like 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch is that the start of a abcess. What does it mean my calf REALLY hurts but I was thinking thats because its not the best muscle to inject into........ Or because I did to much into there???? 1 cc.....

Rock Lee

Awards
I was wondering about this too. Some people say that scars are just part of the game and you have to accept it. :(

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
1. I never do calves, that's asking for pain
2. How much did you put in there, and what?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What does it mean my calf REALLY hurts.
It means you injected into your calf.lol Like Jweave said calves are going to hurt. I'd imagine if you stick with it you'll get used to it. Also I wouldn't worry about the red cicrle just yet. I've had that happen numerous times in the past. **** 1.5'' isn't nothing lol you should of seen my face when the hole inner side of my arm was red. It looked like someone slapped me.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
jesus, a calf would hurt. keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, see a doc

spooler

Awards
I must be chicken - the thought of hittin a calf, it hurts just thinking about it...... I hit quads, pecs, bis, lats, delts (least fav spot), but I cringe at the idea of calves.

TB, practice sterile techniques, use sterile gear and you will not get an abcess. Wash your hands and the area before you start. Use the alcohol swab on the vial and the area, NEVER RE-USE A PIN. Press the swab on the area after the inject, and I always use one of the little 'spot' bandaids.

witchdawg7

witchdawg7

Banned
Awards
OMG I had to laugh, sorry bro not making fun of you, just thinking about the ONE time I thought I was man enough to pin in my calf. I only shot one CC of test-e in it and I damn near was on crutches by day 3.
That being said I think I can clearly identify where you went wrong:
YOU SHOT YOUR CALF :frustrate
You will be fine you will just wish you were dead over the next few days. I tell you what helped me the most was a good soak in a hot tub! Good Luck!

theamazing3000

Awards
  • Established
I think you will be fine. Calf shots are one of the most painfull places you can shoot. I know i will never do a calf shot agian.

size

Awards
  • Established
Use small needles and rotate inejction site. These simple steps will avoid scar tissue.

tommyboy

Awards
Small needles as in what size I use inch 25 g for injects that good ????? how important is it to rotate spots....??? does right glute right quad left glute rightquad an ok rotation????

Use small needles and rotate inejction site. These simple steps will avoid scar tissue.

BLiStEr

Awards
What things do I need to to make sure I NEVER get one. And is that possible.
Actually this part of your statement is the most intelligent question one can ask. People tend to dive right in and start injecting without knowing the proper proceedures. You can learn all about injecting from www.spotinjections.com . I will tell you though that caution is your best protection. always (most do not) but always if you have not showered before injection, clean the sight w/soap and water. Use a bottle of 97% alcohol (it says for injecting on the front at walmart), and cleansing pads to thouroughly clean the area (as a peliminary, I do it twice), then use 2 unopened alcohol wipes to swab the site, start at the injection point and rotate outward without retracing over the starting point. Do the same with the second wipe. Let it dry before injecting to prevent sting.

I have never had an abcess and always take my time when injecting.

as far as the size of the pins, there are lots of different recommendations on what to use but I have found the most comfortable for each muscle group is:

tri's = 25g 5/8"
bi's = 25g 1"
delts = 25g 1"
glut's = 23g 1.5 "
quads = 23g 1"
and yes calves = 25g 1"

Different people have favorite and non favorite muscle groups. My quads are my least favorite. Some people swear by the quads but I hate them. The first time you inject your calves it will hurt and be very debilitating but if you can do it a couple of time on a weekend where you dont have anything planned you will get a tolerence to it and you will be suprised, calves are a really good muscle to use. If you rotate injections and want to keep your muscles and receptors fresh you must use as many different groups as you can tolerate especially if you inject frequently.

Just keep in mind that all the caution in the world cannot prevent an abcess from bad gear. So unless you know your source well then it is wise to re-sanitize your products. Better safe than sorry.