A Powerlifter's Transformation?!? PAL Leviathan/Incarnate Contest Log!

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 5/ Day 3

Muscle soreness 0 - 5 (0 none .... 5 feels like it just ripped off my bones)
1-lower back

Joint pain 0 - 5 (0 none ... 5 I need some plastic joints installed)
1 -Shoulder
1- hands

B/W:202.8

Time to complete workout:
42m

ME Bench
2 Board
1xseveral@bar
1x5@95, 115, 135, 165, 185
1x3@225, 255
1x2@285 PR!
1xmiss@305
1x1(ugly)@305 PR!!

305xmiss - http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=2103376226
305x1 - http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=427078446

Okay so I did raise my butt up for a split second just a little but screw it I worked my ass off for this one. Look there Brian no 2.5lbs plates there!!! Decided I knew I could most likely hit 300 which I really wanted but then said I really wanted to break through 300!! 1st attempt I felt I was going to get it even on the way down. I felt I had a decent setup, unracking it felt good, bringing it down I felt in grove, and at first on the way up I thought I was going to get it until I hit the wall. Just wouldn't budge half way up!!!! DAMN IT!!! I WANT THIS F#CKER!!!! Pissed me off. I got it back up to the hooks, gave myself 2 minutes to rest this time, did a bunch of Wendler shadow benching, and got myself ready. I shouldn't have done as good on the second attempt. My setup wasn't as good, when I went to unrack it I was to far down and had to quickly reset and unrack again. Felt a lot heavier this time in my hands and felt like it didn't come down near as evenly. But on the way up I got to that sticking point again but wasn't going to let it stop me this time. I rolled my elbow's out (good ol' shadow benching) and locked the damn thing out!!!

Supplemental
DB Incline Bench
3x3@100

Assistance
Bradford Press
1x15@80
2x10@80

http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=892631197

Wendler Evolutions
1xfailure@35

Comments
Ok. So, I don't really know how to relax that well. Wasn't planning on doing anything after work and was just going to go straight home. Well, I ended up taking a detour to the home improvement store and loading up 6 sheets of sheetrock and unloaded them in the room off the kitchen. Got another wall done. I laid off the Yates rows today to give my back a break and might still do them tomorrow.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 6/ Day 2 - Deload

1 - entire back

1 - Shoulder

B/W:200.2

30m

Deload SQ/DL
GM Squat
1xmany@bar
3x3@225
2x3@275

Assistance
Hypers Very slow with 5s static holds on top
5x5 w/ blue band

Standing Ab pulldowns Very slow with 5s static holds on the bottom
5x5@70

Comments
Time to deload and reload. Wasn't in for training on Friday or Monday but never fear I definitely got my workout in. It is harvest season. Time to move around a sh*t ton of beans and corn. Sucks we're averaging 20degrees over normal temperatures right now getting into the 90's. Supposed to start cooling off this week so hopefully the next month of harvesting wont be so bad.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 6/ Day 3

1 -Shoulder

B/W:201.6

25m

Deload Bench
Standing BB OHP
1xmanymany@bar
1x5@95, 115, 135 PR (damn didn't even try)
5x3@135

Feeling a lot stronger and more stable on these. 135 used to be a strugle to get a triple out of. I really wasn't trying to workup to anything particular just to where it felt heavy but not straining.

Assistance
Rotator Cuff exercises w/ red band

Alternated
2x10 Left arm inner rotation
2x10 Right arm inner rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm outer rotation
2x10 Right arm outer rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm Forward rotation
2x10 Right arm Forward rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm backward rotation
2x10 Right arm backward rotation

Face Pulls
2x20 w/ red band

Overhead Tri Ext
1x40 w/ red band

Comments
Feel refreshed. Watched the movie Knocked Up I think it was called last night. Very funny movie.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Ditch NASA, hit up a fed that actually judges properly. Nice progress though. I won my division at nationals this past May in NASA, but will never compete there again.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Ditch NASA, hit up a fed that actually judges properly. Nice progress though. I won my division at nationals this past May in NASA, but will never compete there again.
Thanks. Congratulations on the national title but how did they not judge you properly? I doubt it's a federation issue but a meet director issue.

From the meet I attended back in April it seemed like there was fair and constant judging. They called people for not making depth, raising the butt, and so on. Also, no one got bad calls for things like not making depth when they did. I was very happy with how the meet was ran, it started on time, very organized, and everyone had a fun time.

What got me initially interested in the NASA is that they were close and had an unequipped division. But if all I had around me were things like the UPA which is also near by but doesn't have an unequipped division I would still go lift with them. But as budget and time is an issue I had to choose one memebership to pay for and I went with the NASA as they
came closest to my style of lifting.

I don't really care about what federation I lift in as I don't lift for them I lift for myself. I don't plan on getting first place and I don't plan on setting any records yet. I wouldn't care if I lifted in an unsanctioned meet but there are none of those near me.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Congratulations on the national title but how did they not judge you properly? I doubt it's a federation issue but a meet director issue.

From the meet I attended back in April it seemed like there was fair and constant judging. They called people for not making depth, raising the butt, and so on. Also, no one got bad calls for things like not making depth when they did. I was very happy with how the meet was ran, it started on time, very organized, and everyone had a fun time.

What got me initially interested in the NASA is that they were close and had an unequipped division. But if all I had around me were things like the UPA which is also near by but doesn't have an unequipped division I would still go lift with them. But as budget and time is an issue I had to choose one memebership to pay for and I went with the NASA as they
came closest to my style of lifting.

I don't really care about what federation I lift in as I don't lift for them I lift for myself. I don't plan on getting first place and I don't plan on setting any records yet. I wouldn't care if I lifted in an unsanctioned meet but there are none of those near me.
The judging was anything but fair, they were basically giving lifts away. They redlighted me on one of my bench attempts because my heel came off the ground for a milisecond, but did not redlight another lifter whose ass clearly came off the bench. They called depth on a bunch of squats that were really high as well. Another thing that sucked is that they didn't have an adjustable bench so my rack height was the same as a 14 year old kid's. I'm 6 foot 1/6 foot 2 so that really makes my setup/handoff annoying. They have lots of meets around here but I said screw it with them because I want to be judged by some kind of standard and I don't understand why they have regulations like no benching with the heels up. Hopefully the judges are a little different where you live. Good luck with your training, your log is pretty detailed. I compete raw so far as well, if you ever have any questions about raw training or ideas for movements let me know.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
The judging was anything but fair, they were basically giving lifts away. They redlighted me on one of my bench attempts because my heel came off the ground for a milisecond, but did not redlight another lifter whose ass clearly came off the bench. They called depth on a bunch of squats that were really high as well. Another thing that sucked is that they didn't have an adjustable bench so my rack height was the same as a 14 year old kid's. I'm 6 foot 1/6 foot 2 so that really makes my setup/handoff annoying. They have lots of meets around here but I said screw it with them because I want to be judged by some kind of standard and I don't understand why they have regulations like no benching with the heels up. Hopefully the judges are a little different where you live. Good luck with your training, your log is pretty detailed. I compete raw so far as well, if you ever have any questions about raw training or ideas for movements let me know.

That sounds like it would be frustrating. Especially with no adjustable catches on the bench, that is just plain crazy. I hope there were outside circumstances that caused them to have issues and will work it out their next meet. It was nothing like there here at the meet I attended. Thanks again for checking out the journal.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 7/ Day 1

.5 - Right shoulder

B/W:199.1

43m

RE Clustered Bench 5 reps 2s Pause on Bottom and 5s Rest between reps.
Not sure about the percentages I just went incrementally.

1xseveral@bar
1x5@135 Regular no pause rest

1x5@185
1x5@205
1x5@225
1x4@235
1x3@185

Damn almost made it to a full 5 reps on the last pause rest set.

Supplemental
DB Flat Bench
3x5@85 w/ 2s pause on bottom

Assistance
Pull Ups
3x8

Incline Tate Presses
3x12@40

Comments
Definitely full throttle again. Felt completely depleted by the end of the workout. Almost had a set of buckets at the end. Recuperated pretty quickly though which is good. By the time I was at work I felt good. Today is the best my shoulder has felt in a long time since I about ripped my arm of my socket.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 7/ Day 2

3 - Chest

.25 - Shoulder (Only really feel it now when I lay on it at night)

B/W:199.6

41m

ME SQ/DL
Low Box Squats
1xseveral@bar Full squats
1x5@135, 185, 205, 225
1x3@275, 295, 315, 335, 365 PR!!
1x2@385 PR!!
1x1@405 PR!! (Little did I know these were all PRs)

405x1 - http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1859459717

Supplemental
Dimel Deads
1xseveral@bar
1x15@135
1x20@225 AHHH THESE SUCK
1x20(really broken down as 12 2s pause, 4 3s pause, 4 )@225 I'M TOTALLY DONE!!!!

http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=599455670

Assistance
Standing AB Pulldowns
3x10@70

Sitting on Floor in shower
1x20 minutes @ a few pukes

Comments
I thought I had an absolutely terrible workout today. The bar felt super heavy by the time I got up to 315 but I just couldn't stop there I had to make it to 400's. I got up to 385 and only got a double out of it and then barely made it up on the 405. I was pissed. I thought I had gotten up to 435 on the low box before. So I took it out on the Dimel Deads and blasted through them. Only took maybe 30s rest between sets which just totally put me under. Little did I know until I looked at my PR log I keep that I had gotten 435 on the parallel box and only 345 on the low box before.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Have you messed around with your bench setup at all? On your 2 board video it seems like if you tucked your feet back further you would get a little more leg drive/arch out of it.

On your squats two things I noticed that may be of safety concern:
Do not rock on the box. When you came up before your hips moved you rocked forwards. Some old WSB trainees still do this out of habit, but I've read bits from Louie and pretty much every big squatter out there saying that this is a bad habit that can lead to lower back injury really fast.

Also, when you complete the lift don't start stepping in right away. Stand there for a second. If you were to do this in a meet, especially a NASA one you would get redlighted for not waiting for the rack command. Also, it increases the risk for injury if you were to misstep or not be all the way locked out on one leg. I saw it happen last week with a kid, completely fell over and dumped the bar (had no safety pins either).

Anyways, good **** man. How do you like those cluster benches? I think those might get worked into my program pretty soon.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Have you messed around with your bench setup at all? On your 2 board video it seems like if you tucked your feet back further you would get a little more leg drive/arch out of it.
Been messing around with the bench setup for a while. Still haven't found something I like.

On your squats two things I noticed that may be of safety concern:
Do not rock on the box. When you came up before your hips moved you rocked forwards. Some old WSB trainees still do this out of habit, but I've read bits from Louie and pretty much every big squatter out there saying that this is a bad habit that can lead to lower back injury really fast.
I'll watch for that and need to make sure I start with the head. I always make sure I release my hip flexors and it's probably me releasing and then tightening back up that is making me rock?

Also, when you complete the lift don't start stepping in right away. Stand there for a second. If you were to do this in a meet, especially a NASA one you would get redlighted for not waiting for the rack command. Also, it increases the risk for injury if you were to misstep or not be all the way locked out on one leg. I saw it happen last week with a kid, completely fell over and dumped the bar (had no safety pins either).
I realized that too after watching the video and need to make sure I wait for the rack command in my head in training.

Anyways, good **** man. How do you like those cluster benches? I think those might get worked into my program pretty soon.
Thanks for checking in and the advice. The clustered rest/pause RE bench sessions SUCK!!! Well, they are awesome at the same time as I feel they are hitting right where I need them to which is the bottom of my bench of the chest. Really is allowing me to overload on an RE day with out getting in to the 90%+ range. I don't think I'd ever do it for more then 3 weeks though and plan on continuing to rotate 3 weeks of DE and 3 weeks of Clustered RE rest/pause work going forward.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 7/ Day 3

2 - hams
1 - glutes
1 - Lower Back
Damn those Dimels.

.5 -Shoulder
1 - Hips

B/W:???? didn't weigh myself. I know I'm down in weight but I guess it is to be expected.

40m

ME Bench
1 Board
1xseveral@bar
1x3@225, 245 PR!
1x1,miss@275 PR!
1xmiss@300

245x3 - IronScene - Powerlifting & Strength Videos
275x1 - IronScene - Powerlifting & Strength Videos

Man totally missed on the 300. Wasn't even an issue of sloppy form trying to get it up but just got flattened on the bottom. Totally crappy setup today on all my sets I feel. I need to stay tight and get this to at least move next week.

Assistance
BOR's
1xseveral@bar
1x15@105
2x15@135

http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1052535715

Full Rotator Cuff exercises w/ red band
Alternated
2x10 Left arm Forward rotation
2x10 Right arm Forward rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm backward rotation
2x10 Right arm backward rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm inner rotation
2x10 Right arm inner rotation

Alternated
2x10 Left arm outer rotation
2x10 Right arm outer rotation

Overhead Tri Ext
1x30 w/ red band

Forgot to do FacePulls which I'll usually do before or after the Tri Ext.

Comments
Felt out of it today. Went to bed late but really didn't feel exhausted or anything this morning. Just blah.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I wish I could help you with the setup, but this is the internet and all. I can only describe what me and my training partners do.

I lay down on the bench with my feet on the ground at approximately the midpoint of the bench. This leaves about half of my upper body hanging out of the back of the bench. I then take an underhand grip, pull myself up as high as possible while at the same time squeezing my shoulder blades together. I then pull myself as far forward as my flexibility allows and then settle on the bench in this order: Traps, head,neck. For a while this will feel pretty uncomfortable. At this point you should be on your toes, which you may or may not like. If you don't, just scoot your feet diagonally until the heels barely touch. Actually since you are lifting in NASA you will have to do this. It is hard to visualize this, but mess around with what I described. Going into my first meet working on setup put about 40 more lbs on my raw bench in only a matter of weeks.

On the box squats I think it is a matter of your hip flexors and posterior chain not staying tight. Try coming down until you feel the box and then coming back up without actually sitting on it. When I had to teach someone to box squat I had them just barely touch the corner with their ass so they would know where it was at without sitting on it and losing tightness and then every session it would move closer and closer in. Overall you looked good on it though.

I think I might try those cluster benches today, but I'm worried that the high percentages will burn me out faster.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
I wish I could help you with the setup, but this is the internet and all. I can only describe what me and my training partners do.

I lay down on the bench with my feet on the ground at approximately the midpoint of the bench. This leaves about half of my upper body hanging out of the back of the bench. I then take an underhand grip, pull myself up as high as possible while at the same time squeezing my shoulder blades together. I then pull myself as far forward as my flexibility allows and then settle on the bench in this order: Traps, head,neck. For a while this will feel pretty uncomfortable. At this point you should be on your toes, which you may or may not like. If you don't, just scoot your feet diagonally until the heels barely touch. Actually since you are lifting in NASA you will have to do this. It is hard to visualize this, but mess around with what I described. Going into my first meet working on setup put about 40 more lbs on my raw bench in only a matter of weeks.

On the box squats I think it is a matter of your hip flexors and posterior chain not staying tight. Try coming down until you feel the box and then coming back up without actually sitting on it. When I had to teach someone to box squat I had them just barely touch the corner with their ass so they would know where it was at without sitting on it and losing tightness and then every session it would move closer and closer in. Overall you looked good on it though.

I think I might try those cluster benches today, but I'm worried that the high percentages will burn me out faster.
Thanks. I'm building up steam to be able to actually complete a full 4 sets of 5 reps. I dropped the percentages a little this week to what I don't know. I just started lighter then I did before but I had already planned that from the beginning. I'd probably start at these weights if I were to do it again. Only way to know that was to do it though.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Haha, that's a weird coincidence. Amanda is ranked 9th in the world in her weight class in o lifting and will be competing in Beijing in '08. Check out Brad's benching. That guy has to be one of the strongest raw lifters I have ever seen. The first day I saw him bench he hit 455x5 with no spot and I've seen him squat 685 beltless. The funniest part is that he is a 4th grade teacher

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Haha, that's a weird coincidence. Amanda is ranked 9th in the world in her weight class in o lifting and will be competing in Beijing in '08. Check out Brad's benching. That guy has to be one of the strongest raw lifters I have ever seen. The first day I saw him bench he hit 455x5 with no spot and I've seen him squat 685 beltless. The funniest part is that he is a 4th grade teacher
That is awesome. That is one thing I am lacking and probably the thing a powerlifter really needs the most and that is a good crew to train with.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 7/ Day 4

.25 - hams/gluts/lower back They just wanted to let me know they were still there and didn't like those Dimel Deads.
1 - chest/tri's

.25 - Shoulder

B/W: Find out in 3 weeks. Decided I'm not looking at the scale until I weigh in.

48m

DE SQ/DL

sumo/conv High Pulls
some x several @ 135

Sumo/conv Pulls
many x yeah@ 135

Full Squats
whatever x screwyou @ 135

Just said screw it today and just did a mixture of things in no particular order or arrangement. I'd do several reps of sumo pulls and then right into a few reps of high pulls or did only some high pulls or just some normal pulls and so on and so forth. After I did random amount of reps from 1-whoknows I did several x whatevermany full squats. I just know by the time I was done I was out of breath and sweating profusely. Heck I was like that about half way through actually. I spent a good 25-30 minutes doing all this. Next week at three weeks out I'll be dropping my volume so I definitely got it all in today.

Supplemental
Sumo SLDL
3x5@295

Assistance
Hanging Leg Raises
3x20

Leg Ext
1x20@295 (I think that is how much it was. I just pinned it to the bottom. So however much the stack was.)

Comments
Blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah BLAH!!! Blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. :buttrock:

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Wait are you 3 weeks out from the meet? Like 3 weeks out from the date of the meet? If so you really need to start hitting some full range singles on your main lifts or at least working some paused ME benches in considering you only have 2 weeks of lifting left before the meet (because of the week deload before)

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I just looked at your first page. Ditch those 1 boards and get a spotter to give you a handoff and call the press and rack commands. At this point there is no point doing a 1 board if you're raw, especially since it's your first meet. Same thing goes for squats, have someone, anyone, call the squat and rack commands and have a side spot judge your depth. The bench thing is going to be key though, because there are a lot of little things that NASA officials will redlight you for and they tend to have pretty long press commands. Just suggestions, I just don't see how a 1 board is going to do anything at this point.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
I hear what you are talking about. I was already thinking about changing a few things for next week to practice the calls and reduce the volume.

Monday I'll probably take out the DB Pressing and put in some singles with what ever weight I end up with at the end of the rest/pause cluster with a hand off like you suggested with calls.

Tuesday I was thinking of working up with full range squats, go to some low box squats, then finish with some very high box squats and make sure I wait before racking. Then get rid of everything else but the abs work.

Then Friday kind of do what I did today as it felt great.

Then stick to the deload week 9 and pretty much off the week of the meet.

Here's the orginal plan.

Week 8 (Home stretch)
Monday: RE Bench 4 sets 80%/82%/84%/86% 1-2m rest between & 5-10reps/set with 5s rest between reps., DB Flat Bench, Pull ups, Tate Press
Tuesday: ME SQ/DL: Low Box Squat, Demil Deads, Pull-Throughs, Standing Ab PullDowns
Thursday: ME Bench: 1 Board Press w/pause, Pendlay Rows, Seated DB Clean and Press, Tri. Rope Push Downs
Friday: DE SQ/DL: Box Squat 50%, Sumo SLDL, GHR, Hanging Leg Raises

Week 9 (Deload)
Week 10 (Rest/active recovery/do nothing)
October 27th Meet.

Planned Attempts at the meet.
Squat
1st 385
2nd 435
3rd 455

Bench
1st 245
2nd 275
3rd 300

DL
1st 385
2nd 415
3rd ??? 435 - 450

Total: 1205
If I can hit all the third attempts that would put me well ahead of my goal from when I first decided to compete of hitting a 1145lbs total for my first meet which originally would have been April 2008. What I do on the DL will depend on if I miss on my 3rd attempt on the squat and the bench. If I only get my second attempt on those two then I'll go for 435 just to make sure I hit my goal of 1145. Now if I get my 3rd attempt on the squat and the second attempt on the bench then I'm set at hitting 1145 with my second attempt on the DL. Ok, I might be thinking about this way to much.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
BTW, KTW I meant to ask this yesterday. Do you post over at FI by chance?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
No, I don't really post anywhere anymore. I used to go to FI a year or so ago but never posted much. Occasionally I have a log going.

If you're a natural trainee, I would suggest only taking 1 week off before the meet and move the deload week to the week of active recovery. From what I've read neural de-training starts to occur at 9 days on, so not hitting anything over 90% for 14+ days might not be a good idea. You have a pretty good idea of what to do right now, so I would just maybe extend that plan by a week, maybe cut the volume slower. At this point you're most likely not going to get a whole lot stronger, so the key is to practice form and maintain strength without any overtraining.

Most un natural trainees take the full two weeks off before, but I've never heard of a natural trainee taking that much time off before. Most I know will hit their last ME lift the monday two weeks before and then hit something at about 85 to 90% for their last workout. Squatting might be a different story. Since the bar places a lot of stress on your spine, it might be a good idea to deload the spine for a full two weeks. Maybe hit some deads for your last lower body ME workout and some speed squats/pulls at about 40%

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 8/ Day 1

1 - Forearms, back

.5 - Right shoulder
1 - Hands

B/W:???

38m

RE Clustered Bench 5 reps 2s Pause on Bottom and 5s Rest between reps.

1xseveral@bar
1x5@135 Regular no pause rest

80%
1x3@220

82%
1x3@225

84%
1x3@230

86%
1x3@235

88%
1x1@240

90%
1x1@245

Cutting back on volume this week and went with 1x3 on each up to the 4 sets then went ahead and did singles up to 90%. The entire time I made sure to call the press command at 1 second then pause for an additional second then press and pause on the top and gave the rack command at 1 second then paused another second before racking. Hopefully this will train me not to jump the gun at all and be patient. Never know how long they will wait before calling the command.

Assistance
Pull Ups
3x8

Incline Tate Presses
3x10@50

Comments
Gotta keep my energy up for just a few more weeks then I can crash. Feels like I'm working four jobs right now. Training, normal job, in the home, and outside. The record high temperatures have been brutal.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 8/ Day 2

1 - back

.5 - Shoulder
2 - hands

Got to Bed night before: 11:30pm
Energy Level in Morning: 0 - 5 (0 sleeping beauty ... 5 feeling like a nuclear bomb about to explode)

B/W:???.??

42m

ME SQ/DL
Full Squats
1xmany@bar
1x3@135, 185, 225, 275

Low Box
1x3@275
1x1@315, 365, 385, 410 PR

High Box
1x1@410, 455

1x1@455 + Hold on top for a good 10seconds

Supplemental
Dimel Deads
1xseveral@bar
1x10@135
2x10@225

Assistance
Standing AB Pulldowns
3x10@70

Comments
I should have went to bed Brian. Got the room off the bathroom almost done though. 2 Coats of mud done and got it all sanded last night. One last light coat and sanding left and it's ready for some paint. Got to bed last night at 11:30pm. I should track that too.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 8/ Day 3

1 - Back

.5 - Shoulder
1 - Hands

B/W:????????.??

30m

ME BenchL
Full Bench
1xseveral@bar
1x5@135 rest,pause each rep
1x3@185
1x1@225

1 Board
1x1@225, 255, 290 PR!
1xmiss@300

Got it up about three inches this time but just ran out of gas. I didn't go for a second attempt at it. Leaving that for later.

Holds
3x 10s hold @ 310

Assistance
BOR
4x10@135

Comments
Surprisingly I'm not dissapointed in not hitting 300. I was happy I actually got it to move in an upward direction this week. I know I will get there. I'm still improving every week and on my way. Felt my setup was much better this week. Really concentrating on pushing myself back on the bench and getting up on my traps and then slowly lowering my butt down to the bench. I've been keeping my feet in and closer to the bench lately but pointing my toes out a lot more. Seems to be keeping me tight. I have to remember to raise my toe and dig my heal into the ground though.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Week 8/ Day 4

.5 - Shoulder
1 - Hands

B/W: ?.?

34m

DE SQ/DL
DL to High Pulls
some x several @ 135

Supplemental
DL
1x1@225
2x1@315
1x1@405

Above Knee Rack Pulls
2x1@315 w/ 10s Holds on top
2x1@405 w/ 5s holds on top
1xwhatamIthinking@495 w/ no way am I stupid
1x1@405 w/ 10s hold on top

Decided I wanted to feel some weights in my hands so I wend up on the DL to 405 which is the heaviest I've gone with out a belt as I left it out in my truck. It felt smooth. Then I went up to some rack pulls. After hitting a couple of sets at 405 which felt light I put on another couple of 45's and went to grab the bar and realized this is very near max weight and I really didn't want to make this an ME session with being two weeks out and I'm supposed to be starting to deload.

Assistance
Hanging Leg Raises
1x50 had a few 5s pauses in there.

Comments
I finally figured out what I'm feeling this morning. I'm not feeling abnormally tired or anything. I'm feeling weak for some reason. I feel like I'm not as strong as I was 8 weeks ago. It has to be a totally mental thing as I've been progressing.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
feeling weak?..hmm...weird...grreat detail

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Have you deloaded at all in that time period? You could be very overtrained.

Also, why do you add in certain accessory movements like power cleans only for 1 week? Recommended length is 4 to 6 weeks for an accessory movement.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Jason...come over here and let the boys know about your lifting meet!!!

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Have you deloaded at all in that time period? You could be very overtrained.

Also, why do you add in certain accessory movements like power cleans only for 1 week? Recommended length is 4 to 6 weeks for an accessory movement.
Yeah I had a deload week in there. I was severly overloaded not by training but by farming and everything else going on. I took the week leading up to the meet completely off and didn't do much of anything.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Took a complete deload off week running up to my first meet.

Squat:
1st Attempt 386
http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewke...amp;category=mr

I got up under the bar and realized that pin 7 was a little high. I got done with the lift and the side judge pulled me over and said I better request that the pin go done one more hole or on the heavier attempts I'll be in trouble. I ran over to the main table and gave my second attempt and asked for pin 6.

As I was sitting there waiting for my name to be called out again I realized I didn't know if I actually got a good 1st attempt as I was so scatter brained to get my next attempt in under the 1 minute rule. I asked around and some guys laughed and said it was a good lift and we started talking. Met a lot of great lifters there that day.

2nd Attempt 419 Easy.

Now my nerves were starting to settle a little but so was my energy. Realized it was about 11am now and really haven't had all that much yet. So shook up a shake and started sipping on that. My 3rd attempt was a no lift as I didn't hit depth and was entirely my fault. Weight felt good but I started back up to soon. I knew it too as soon as I started back up. One of the side judges said if I would have just gotten down a little more it would have been good but other wise he said it looked like an easy lift.

3rd Attempt 441 stupid me.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Bench:

Had a little break between SQ and Bench as I was in the second flight and they gave about 10minutes before starting the 1st flight of the Bench. Got myself a could hamburgers and ate one of them right away. Pretty much kept sipping on protein shake and gatorade all day.

I ended up giving someone in the first flight a hand off. He missed his first two attempts but got his third attempt at the same weight. I ended up asking another guy that I was talking with quite a bit earlier that was in the first flight to give me a hand off. First two attempts were a breeze and no problem. I never missed a command which I was really scared I would do. I didn't get any video of the first attempt.

2nd Attempt 254

The third attempt didn't go so well. I picked some pretty low numbers for the bench because I couldn't give any leg drive. I thought I'd be able to hit 270 but thought wrong. I flared my elbows out and just got stuck on the bottom. I just didn't keep tight and blew it.

3rd Attempt 270 no good

I really wasn't bummed out about it though as I knew my situation and have had a great time so far. Next meet I will be breaking all these numbers for all the lifts. After my last bench I felt my stomach rumbling for some more real food so chowed down the second hamburger. Time to warm up for the DL. It was nice having two flights and being in the second flight I knew pretty much how much time was left and when to be done warming up .

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
DL:
The DL was by far my most successful and feel like my best lifts of the day. Great way to end the day and top it all off. I got a few compliments on my form and was told I needed to put some weight on the bar to make it look like I'm trying. That felt great. By that time I've talked to quite a few people and helped putting up some squat/DL suites and tighten some belts for a few people.

1st Attempt 386 warm up

2nd Attempt 419 easy

3rd Attempt 441 Most I've ever pulled. Wish I went with more, next time...

Damn that felt great!!!

SQ: 419
Bench: 254
DL: 441
Total: 1114

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
I know this was a Contest log but because I suck so much I'm going to treat this more like a full product review.

Final Thoughts!

Leviathan

This stuff was interesting. It gave instant energy that actually lasted over a pretty long period of time. I didn't take it prework out as I was trying to take it on an empty stomach but wish I would have at least once because I know it would have pushed the training that much more. This also really bumped my metabolism up through the roof. By the end of the 8 weeks I was packing in around 5000 calories and it was keeping me maintained at around 200lbs. After I stopped taking it I've shot up 10lbs on the same calorie level. So, if I was truly trying to cut this stuff would have shredded me up.

Incarnate

Beta Alanine is where it is at. With BA I find that I can recover a LOT faster then without and in return can have a much more effective workout. Incarnate also included in it Cissus which seemed to help my shoulder pain pretty quickly. I don't think it completely eliminated it by itself but I definitely believe it helped to reduce the pain right away and speed the recovery. With that stack you can't go wrong. BA to help the muscles recovery and Cissus to help the joints. With out this aid I think I would have been totally shot by the meet because of the load of everything going on at the same time. My strength and lifts did go up consistently and was very happy with that. The numbers through out my journal here can speak for that.