90's supplements that did not work. You might laugh. Add yours own that you remember

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Besides Animal Pak are there any OG sups still around?

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established

I remember that stuff. It was out of my price range though. You were probally only around 6 or 7 years when it came out though. Around 1992.
They were using that before and after photo in 2001-2003 Flex magazines. I cant remeber if it was for the same product...i dont think it was.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZB3uN8pIOE&feature=related">YouTube Link</a>

I remember that stuff. It was out of my price range though. You were probally only around 6 or 7 years when it came out though. Around 1992.
lol true... Maybe 7 or 8 haha

That was a funny azz commercial.
So any1 try cyber what ever it is and get those results in 60 days?

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
lol true... Maybe 7 or 8 haha

That was a funny azz commercial.
So any1 try cyber what ever it is and get those results in 60 days?
Another person guilty of using Cybergenics here. It was basically some amino acids tabs that you ran with a 6 day per week training schedule. I think there was also some type of carb cycling diet involved. It was very, very expensive and if my memory serves me correctly it cost around £80 in the UK for the program and this was in the mid-90's. As a guideline most good supps in the UK that actually do something (TZ, Bioforge, DTHC, etc.) are around £40 so it was really a complete rip-off and, you won't be surprised to hear, did absolutely nothing for me.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another person guilty of using Cybergenics here. It was basically some amino acids tabs that you ran with a 6 day per week training schedule. I think there was also some type of carb cycling diet involved. It was very, very expensive and if my memory serves me correctly it cost around £80 in the UK for the program and this was in the mid-90's. As a guideline most good supps in the UK that actually do something (TZ, Bioforge, DTHC, etc.) are around £40 so it was really a complete rip-off and, you won't be surprised to hear, did absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah I remember my buddie in High School was trying it but it was way out of my price range. I graduated HS in 92.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember growing up my dad use to take some Russian weight gainer but stopped lifting after a few weeks but continued to take it and damn he got fat as hell lol

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Was it muscletech who came up with the gimic of somehow using liquid nitrogen in the manufacturing process, and then charging a ton for it? It would have been mid 2000's but still... :)

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I remember almost all of those. Cybergenics...man, I was dirt poor in '93 but I saved up like crazy to buy that crap. Should of bought more chicken instead. LOL. Used Boron. Used Russian Bear. ALL protein in the 80's-90's tasted like dirt because there were no artificial sweeteners in them. Weider everything.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah I remember my buddie in High School was trying it but it was way out of my price range. I graduated HS in 92.
So you're about 38...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this thread is cracking me up. I graduated HS in 94, and I remember almost all of these. IT was the weight gainers that would get me. Never once read an ingredient profile, just chugged it down. I was fortunate, my dad would b!tch me out for that, and just tell me to save my $ and eat like crazy

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was it muscletech who came up with the gimic of somehow using liquid nitrogen in the manufacturing process, and then charging a ton for it? It would have been mid 2000's but still... :)
Fffffuuuuuuu it's called halo!!!! I bought 4 tubs and stacked it with anatar P70 ( the DNA changer) lololol what a huge waste of god damn money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate you muscle tech

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Fffffuuuuuuu it's called halo!!!! I bought 4 tubs and stacked it with anatar P70 ( the DNA changer) lololol what a huge waste of god damn money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate you muscle tech
haha still better than the other ones they had i remember heard how everyone who took it either had to run to the toliet for one of them (no-xlode ironically i think) and halo gave them migranes or other horrid sides..

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
When I would take cornhole xplode, anything I ate after for the whole day would immediately and forcefully paint my toilet! It would make doin heavy squats or leg press a gamble!

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
i am so glad the only MT thing i have ever had was a free t-shirt :)

rhgunner

Awards
I tried cybergenics too. I did get ripped on it, but it was first time I ate super clean and stuck to it.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Ok u guys remember those huge liver tabs sold by universal? U had to take a bunch of those per day. I think I got stronger, it was still better chugging down weider muscle builder protein that sucked.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I remember all the ads I saw of guys drinking raw eggs & "popping" a ton of pills and I said to myself that's some bullish that was when I was not into lifting.

deathroll

deathroll

Awards
hahahahahaha...this is a great thread. universal still sells liver tabs...muscle media magazine...eas=phosphgen, phosphgen hp, phosphagems, phosphagain 1 and 2, hmb, betagen, cla, v2g, gkg, cytovol...metabolife...wbf? the new bodybuilding thing with the wwf owner, the guy that started the xfl...hot rox...pinnacle=ecdybol explo caps,esterified creatine 4000, juiced protein with myozap, juiced creatine with myozap cps3, alpha dopa growth poppers, methoxy test, nox2, pyruvate 1000...cytodyne=methoxy-pro, cytopro, cytoplex (reg and diet), myo blast csp3, cytodyne, z mass pm, cyclo z mass...mesotech...twinlab had everything but the kitchen sink in a bottle...chitosan...pumptech...diet tech...hot rox...satur8...no...no2...ce2...diablo...metrx...ultimate orange...animal pak (still going strong)...red kat...met rx? that vial sold in back of every magazine...gotta stop for now.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
39....The big Four Zero is chasing me though!.
I just hit 40 in Jan! Don't worry bro's it's really just a number!! I'm in better shape & look better than ALL of my co-workers!! Although, the older I get, the harder I work!

I remember back in '93 a buddy of mine in the Marine's fell victim to the Cybergenix bs. Lol, he was already around 3% bf!!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Haha, their marketing for p70 is unbelievable. All it contains is whey, dextrose and Maltodextrine.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This thread is a trip down memory lane for sure ( :p ) but as we all laugh, WE WILL BE LAUGHED AT 20 years from now and get justifiably ridiculed for all the overhyped gimmicky garbage we get suckered into taking THESE days too! haha So, the joke's on us!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.............

As much as I attemot to remain cautious and vigilant with the over-glorificiation of supps these days; I still fall prey from time to time. Sadly, these companies are marketing geniuses.
Yes. What we laugh at now is what our kids will laugh at us for. "These idiots all bought this prop blend that was mostly caffeine" or "these guys all took an extract based on a rat study that said it might work."

Such is the game.

formerlyacat

Awards
Thanks everyone for your insight. If you were buying supplements back then I know you got some laughs. I read Muscle Media 2000 like it was the Bible. I guess Bill Phillips was God to me too. Dan Duchaine was maybe David. What in the world was that book about steroids that was always advertised in his magazine? Something Like "Anabolic Review" it was Blue and White I think. I memorized everything in it, and somehow I always was in a conversation about steroids so I could ramble off all the info I knew. How embarrassing. Thats probably why I could never get laid back then either. LOL Hear I was the stud fullback, strongest person in school, four percent body fat and loved myself. Yeah that what girls like! lol

pmdied

Awards
When I was a teenager in the early and middle 1990’s, there were very few companies selling supplements. Before you could order online you requested a catalog from the back of a muscle mag. I was such an idiot, but so was everyone who ordered products. I read Muscle Media magazines like it was the bible. Back then, if you really wanted to know your stuff, you bought World Anabolic Review 1994 Edition. Bill Phillips figured out what a euphemism was and explained it to his readers, so of course I would explain that word to everyone. Anyways here are few products you might remember.
Cybergenics - worthless pills and a crappy routine, but had to have it.
Hot stuff – OMG, do you remember everyone said it had steroids in it? Did it? lol
Wieder mega mass 2000 - one gallon of pre-vomit. All Wieder products were horrible.
OKG - Ornathine Alpha-keto Gluterate..
Russian Bear - Cool logo on the front. Great for cleaning your bowels.
Boron- another Russian propaganda drug.
Mummie
Glandular extracts
Smilex, serum used under the tongue.
Sportpharma's Vanadyl PH-Little blue pill.:tragedy: what a marketing campaign for this product. If you want blue veins all over your body it works. My Mother went crazy when she saw me, and the dumb ass that I was I told my Mom this is cool vascularity.
Chromium Picolinate- Hugh products for everyone.

In the late 80's I also tried Dibencozide and Gamma Oryzano in Middle school because I read a book called Shredded.
If anyone remember any old supplements you can add to this.
I used hot stuff. Lots of yohimbine; crazy supplement.

pmdied

Awards
I thought of another....there was a supplement that Bill Phillips did a review for and said it "tasted like gasoline"...the company used that quote and made and ad with it sating "because it works" with a pic of a model pouring a can into a motorcycle tank. IIRC the supplement was Met-Max.

Another....Russian Bear. Mix an entire jug with a gallon whole milk and drink all day. Strong wtf. I wonder how many guys used 7 jugs a week?
I was at Vitamin Shoppe yesterday and they still sell Russian Bear.
Btw, I'm 38 and remember many of those supplements. I actually liked Metrx but Bill Phillips was a circus barker at best. And I miss all those kick-ass ephedrine laced drinks!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
hahahahahaha...this is a great thread. universal still sells liver tabs...muscle media magazine...eas=phosphgen, phosphgen hp, phosphagems, phosphagain 1 and 2, hmb, betagen, cla, v2g, gkg, cytovol...metabolife...wbf? the new bodybuilding thing with the wwf owner, the guy that started the xfl...hot rox...pinnacle=ecdybol explo caps,esterified creatine 4000, juiced protein with myozap, juiced creatine with myozap cps3, alpha dopa growth poppers, methoxy test, nox2, pyruvate 1000...cytodyne=methoxy-pro, cytopro, cytoplex (reg and diet), myo blast csp3, cytodyne, z mass pm, cyclo z mass...mesotech...twinlab had everything but the kitchen sink in a bottle...chitosan...pumptech...diet tech...hot rox...satur8...no...no2...ce2...diablo...metrx...ultimate orange...animal pak (still going strong)...red kat...met rx? that vial sold in back of every magazine...gotta stop for now.
Used all of the eas products and I read MM constantly- this is a great thread. Twin lab liquid amino fuel, ripped fuel, and ABB Amino Acid tabs were some others that I used- plus the 50 lb. feed bag of weider weight gainer- to this day I hate anything banana-flavored because of it- I drank three servings per day of that stuff with whole milk for an entire summer...

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used hot stuff. Lots of yohimbine; crazy supplement.
I had raging metabolism, surfed almost daily and could not gain weight or size for **** in 89, 90 and early 91. In 91, I wanted to get some size for surfing larger breaks in Cape Town, Tavares, Pipe, Wameia and etc. that were kicking my butt. I then started downing Hot Stuff and I went from like 5'11" 160 and benching maybe 225 to warming up with 225 and maxing in the low 300s like what seemed over night. I actually got too big as I was a pro surfer and started losing flexibility and endurance so I stopped Hot Stuff and stopped lifting heavy for a couple of years. Had to be something like a steroid in there. People thought I was juicing and I have never intentionally taken steroids.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Say what you will about the Russian bear but it did taste good!

Loudy Rowdy

Loudy Rowdy

Awards
I was fortunate enough to start my "lifting lifestyle" right around when EAS/MuscleMedia2000 first started out... i was pretty "informed" and didnt buy the Hot Stuff XXX, OKG, and etc...

but...

I did buy Substrate Solutions' Androstenedione....eek!!!! that was Pat Arnold's first company wasn't it? thats ok Pat!!! I still <3 ya...ErgoPharm 1-AD (powder) was the shizz back then

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dibencozide and Gamma Oryzano!! Lol, I remember my twin brother taking those back in high school! He took so much junk! He'd wake up in the morning, open his dresser, & open a bunch of different pills.

Anybody out there remember S1+?? i took it back around '03 & blew up!! I didn't even know what I was taking back then, but damn it sure did work good!!

Loudy Rowdy

Loudy Rowdy

Awards
Did anyone actually suffered from that them gyno from all the andro/PH from the early 90s before we knew we should use some kind of cycle assist

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dibencozide and Gamma Oryzano!! Lol, I remember my twin brother taking those back in high school! He took so much junk! He'd wake up in the morning, open his dresser, & open a bunch of different pills.

Anybody out there remember S1+?? i took it back around '03 & blew up!! I didn't even know what I was taking back then, but damn it sure did work good!!

S1+ is a lot better than the crap that is sold today. Stack that with some 4derm and you will be all set!. S1+ was a 1 Test/4AD transdermal product by a great company called dermabolics. Of course you don't need extra 4derm but I would!. I bathed in that stuff!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dude, I always wondered what was in it!! I ran it solo once. Had I known better back then, I would've stocked up on it!

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ultimate orange
MetRX

..late 90's Andro 6 lol.
(It was all the rage at military school... either it was making everyone huge, or the inner circle was actually taking aas and covering it by saying it was andro 6)

Oddly enough, these 3 worked lol.

I couldn't even begin to remembe all the crap that didn't

Modoc

Awards
I remember buying Cybergenics around 1990, it came with a training video that you were supposed to follow, a high-volume Schwarzenegger-style workout schedule, just ridiculous. They also told you drink only warm water, never cold, I don't rememebr the rationale behind it though, hilarious.

I thought Hot Stuff was rumored to contain Clenbuterol? Back then they thought Clen was a muscle-builder similar to anabolics, not just a cutting drug.

I remember discovering MM2000 and EAS, Phosphagen, etc. One of those supps that EAS sold they marketed it as "feels like Deca". LOL

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ultimate orange
MetRX

..late 90's Andro 6 lol.
(It was all the rage at military school... either it was making everyone huge, or the inner circle was actually taking aas and covering it by saying it was andro 6)

Oddly enough, these 3 worked lol.

I couldn't even begin to remembe all the crap that didn't
Ultimate Orange did actually contain ephedrine,caffeine and aspirin derivative.. So it did work, for what it was. I liked it.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ultimate Orange did actually contain ephedrine,caffeine and aspirin derivative.. So it did work, for what it was. I liked it.
Yea, I remember lol. That's why I said all the ones I listed actually worked.
lol, my Dad was buying me amphetamines and he was a doctor

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Did anyone actually suffered from that them gyno from all the andro/PH from the early 90s before we knew we should use some kind of cycle assist
Yeah the closest thing to PCT was the next cycle...

Curious to any1 that used the past PH w/o supports or PCT to see how things turned out for them.

I remember buying Cybergenics around 1990, it came with a training video that you were supposed to follow, a high-volume Schwarzenegger-style workout schedule, just ridiculous. They also told you drink only warm water, never cold, I don't rememebr the rationale behind it though, hilarious.

I thought Hot Stuff was rumored to contain Clenbuterol? Back then they thought Clen was a muscle-builder similar to anabolics, not just a cutting drug.

I remember discovering MM2000 and EAS, Phosphagen, etc. One of those supps that EAS sold they marketed it as "feels like Deca". LOL
I saw that cybergenics commercial with lit trash cans lol.... I don't think really any sup company does commercials now a days... Not on TV.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Turbo Blast 600 from Socal.

Creatine Monohydrate breaks down quickly when in liquid, and they claimed to have fixed it by bonding it with aloe IIRC. Also I remember the adds claimed it was 629% more effective than regular creatine monohydrate. This was back when Bill Phillips was huge in the bbing supplement game and he basically filed suit for Socal to back it up or cease selling it. They stopped selling it! lol

There was a magazine put out by Socal for a bit too...PUMP if I remember right. It was 1/4 ads for Socal products, 1/4 articles on bbing, 1/4 ads for other companies, and 1/4 pics of "Girls of Micheal Scott". I think it did 3-4 months regular, then there was another lawsuit over a fatburner...I can't remember the name...but the "absolutely awesome exclusive ingredient" was claimed to cause heart problems. I remember the mags starting a hit and miss schedule...went from monthy, to bi-monthy, to an issue six months late, to Socal closing. I guess with all the lawsuits he ran out of money.

Who else remembers?

Loudy Rowdy

Loudy Rowdy

Awards
I remember Bill Phillips/EAS slamming Pure Protein bar for not meeting the label...something about less protein and more sugar than listed...that was huge back then

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I remember Bill Phillips/EAS slamming Pure Protein bar for not meeting the label...something about less protein and more sugar than listed...that was huge back then
I remember that.

Bill said he owed it to his reader to give the truth and not hype so he refused to run Pure Protein ads in Muscle Media.

formerlyacat

Awards
The Russian bear, liver tabs, hot stuff, and a video from cybergenics, nothing like it.

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
Cybergenics.
Weider pro mass
Vanadyl sulfate
Ultimate orange
Dessicated liver
Anabolic mega paks
Liquid collagen
Bullworker

Loved ultimate orange, course it worked as it had ephedrine, got such a buzz from it

turff49

turff49

Awards
I was fortunate enough to start my "lifting lifestyle" right around when EAS/MuscleMedia2000 first started out... i was pretty "informed" and didnt buy the Hot Stuff XXX, OKG, and etc... but... I did buy Substrate Solutions' Androstenedione....eek!!!! that was Pat Arnold's first company wasn't it? thats ok Pat!!! I still <3 ya...ErgoPharm 1-AD (powder) was the shizz back then
they put out some pretty good stuff back then. The 19-nor's were good to, I think they were under the Ergopharms name by then. Can't remember for sure. Btw, 51 here. I probably tried everything back in the 90's. lol