90's supplements that did not work. You might laugh. Add yours own that you remember

wmarke1977

Awards
ha ha ha! awesome thread! there was tons of garbage out there in the 90's Weider had horrible supps, or maybe thats more 80's? EAS was horrible, I laughed on the Cybergenics comment, that stuff was a joke, the Boron, Russian Bear. For me personally the Vanadyl Sulfate was trash, Weight gainers, and all those damn Tribulus products that claimed one was better than the other.

imjuschillin

Awards
Not sure, but the labels used to boldly proclaim "Plant Sterols" in huge letters, circa 1996-1998. Off the top of my head I think Body Fortress (at Vitamin World) and Challenge (old GNC brand before Pro Performance) made them...
Hmmm, OK, well, I got one container of the Universal Plant Sterol thingy from back a bit (Not the 90's, lolzz ;) When I give it a try I may have to report back, although... I doubt Ill be running it alone, so, kinda muddies the waters. We'll see. Thanks for the reply tho dude!

formerlyacat

Awards
1. Cybergenics (circa 1990): Overpriced multivitamins and aminos.
2. Hot Stuff (circa 1990): This stuff had damn near everything in it that was worthless.
3. Weider Weight Gainer (circa 1985): This stuff was almost all sugar.
4. Vandayl -sportspharm- (circa 1992): get really ripped--off. If you want varicose vein to show you might like it.

nerdalert

Awards
Remember Andro-6 from EAS?? I loved that stuff back then..

Des C

Awards
I took glandulars till my piss smelled like a farmyard! Plus, Weider mega-packs! Who can forget Life Essence - you were meant to take them all friggin day like the pros - LOL! I also took 50 liver tabs per day which was my interpretation of Vince Gironda's diet!
The milk and egg protein back then was about 22% actual protein.
A powerlifter mate of mine took cybergenics when dieting down and ended up looking like a marathon runner.
Thank God for whey protein!

On a more serious note, I agree that loads of the supplements on sale today will be objects of ridicule in the not-too-distant future. You guys in the US get it really tough with all the crappy attempts to make products sound like gear due to your draconian FDA regulations.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anyone remember "the shake" early in high school my friends and i used to love those things and i still see them from time to time, never really looked at the ingredients at all, but liked the way they tasted back then

also anyone remember gatorade gum...in the early 90's some gatorade gum and a wad of big league chew were the only supplements i needed to hit homeruns

johnny666x

Awards
OMG HOT STUFF! lol That stuff was AWESOME! I swear! lol

I never even used it consistently... I could use it just WHENEVER...and each time I had CRAZY SICK pumps. I looked twice the size...NO im not joking. I remember I came up from working out in the basement and I gave my mom a bicep pose and said "hey mom, look at this!" ...and she took a double take and said "ewww" lol. My arms were huge.

I would then use it and qorkout quick before I went to the beach lol

But then a year after that they had a "NEW AND IMPROVED" formula...and it did NOTHING for me whatsoever.

formerlyacat

Awards
I notice there are a lot of young bucks on this board. What percentage of people on this board are older than 30 do you think? And the people older than 30 years old do they follow the steroid or supplement forum? It just seems like many people made references to supplements in the new millennium. I do totally agree that many of the supplements today are totally bunk too. Maybe I will start a new forum about how the supplement business really got rolling in the early 90's, and many of those have stood the test of time.

formerlyacat

Awards
totally agree with you DES C, The FDA's Draconian laws are horrible, and very near to a Volstead ACT. Power Corrupt and you know!!!!!!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Hot Stuff protein did get banned for having illegal compounds in it. The company is back w/ the product but it's a legit protein powder now w/ amino acids and stuff. This IFBB bodybuilder in my gym gives it to me for free lol

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see anyone mention "Inosine". I remember when it came out and it was supposed to be the definitive cutting edge muscle enhancing supp.

It wasn't.

What I DO miss though - is ULTIMATE ORANGE.

Really man, that stuff - you just had to choke it down (it tasted so horrible) and I drank it real slow on my way to the gym in the morning so I wouldn't puke it back up.

However, man that stuff would get your engine running and I really wish we could have it back. However, our fine government overlords know better than we do about such things - being the children that we are and all.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
HMB

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got sucked into the boron and Weider craze myself. I remember drinking that Mass Gainer **** mixed with whole milk. It was like drinking wet concrete.

Ugh...makes my stomach hurt thinking about it.

formerlyacat

Awards

Ultimate Orange. Still have an extra container in the fridge, and taking it right now. Inosine, why did that suck.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I miss ultimate orange as well

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I notice there are a lot of young bucks on this board. What percentage of people on this board are older than 30 do you think? And the people older than 30 years old do they follow the steroid or supplement forum? It just seems like many people made references to supplements in the new millennium. I do totally agree that many of the supplements today are totally bunk too. Maybe I will start a new forum about how the supplement business really got rolling in the early 90's, and many of those have stood the test of time.

Yes there are a ton of young kids on this board. The majority of supplement users are in there 20's and most are marketed that way.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
didnt graduate till 99, started supps in early 2000 lol....

formerlyacat

Awards
Definitely seems like the supplement market is for the young people or those who want something flashy that may or may not work.

bcf4696

bcf4696

Awards
Ii worked at a nutrition (one of the only independents at the time) in the mid-late 90's and I musta tried everything. Sportspharma was huge and eas came out with some new bull**** product every week. I look back now and feel like such a fool. Bill Phillips was a marketing genius though, had big names on the payroll...Shannon Sharpe and a few others.
But the good thing about those days was that probably 90% of the gear was acually from a pharmacy. Anyone remember injectable D-bol... Retforvit-b. I'm so fn old.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anybody remember Amino Fuel by Twinlab it was a white container with a black and yellow
label and the liquid predigested aminos was a yellow color. A few people mentioned vs by
Sportspharma that actually worked really well for me I would be able to eat tons of carbs
and still stay hard as a rock with no bad side affects. I also loved Dymetadrine 25 use 2 tabs
with a strong cup of black coffee and I was in the zone for 3 hour leg workouts.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tiger milk protein bars :p they still sell the foul things
I used to love those bars actually. Not that its anything good but to me they were delicious.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Metabolol. Everyone on the HS sports scene took this crap. I just googled it to check the spelling, and to my amazement it is still being sold!! Hilarious. Back in the 80s I was taking a weight gainer bought at Sears and it was hideous. It smelled and tasted like celery, yet you mixed it with milk. Uggggh. Tried smilax, did nothing. Tried Yohimbe and I can't say it helped me gain any lean mass, but I walked around with a boner all day, even though I had no idea that was an effect of it until I did some reading. So it wasn't the placebo effect.

What kills me though is 99% of the stuff on the market TODAY is garbage, but it sells like hot cakes. Jacked3D and other crap like that???? Give me a break....Great marketing though.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Top of my head.....

Hot Stuff

HMB

Boron

I remember a Weider soy protein that tasted like dirt

liver tabs

WPD111

WPD111

Awards
I started back in the late 80's and the only protein powder was Joe Weider's milk and egg ..horrible I still remember choking down the chunks.....
I second the dymetadrine tabs pure ephedra..I remember I was up to 4 tabs at one time with an ABB adrenaline stack drink...damn my heart was litterly pounding out of my chest...but great workout ..

Mission1

Mission1

Awards
  • Established
I got something from the 80s that I still use today... Laugh if you want.

image-1764258907.jpg

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
lol, good read through, lots of familiar names and wasted money

Mission1

Mission1

Awards
  • Established
The "arm blaster" right? I had one back around 1980 I think. My nephew uses it still. There's even one at my gym, but it's black....stealthy.
Yep. I love the damn thing. The gold ones are the original.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great stuff in the late 80s and very early 90s. Hot stuff PWO with superdrol and GHB all legal and could be purchased at your local health food store. Stuff now actually is not nearly as good. PWOs in the 90s had ephedra and all kinds of good stuff. Now we get crap engineered designer stuff like DMAA which is like going from pharmaceutical grade XTC to designer **** made in a bathtub. Thank the FDA

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I thought of another....there was a supplement that Bill Phillips did a review for and said it "tasted like gasoline"...the company used that quote and made and ad with it sating "because it works" with a pic of a model pouring a can into a motorcycle tank. IIRC the supplement was Met-Max.

Another....Russian Bear. Mix an entire jug with a gallon whole milk and drink all day. Strong wtf. I wonder how many guys used 7 jugs a week?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Metabolol. Everyone on the HS sports scene took this crap. I just googled it to check the spelling, and to my amazement it is still being sold!! Hilarious. Back in the 80s I was taking a weight gainer bought at Sears and it was hideous. It smelled and tasted like celery, yet you mixed it with milk. Uggggh. Tried smilax, did nothing. Tried Yohimbe and I can't say it helped me gain any lean mass, but I walked around with a boner all day, even though I had no idea that was an effect of it until I did some reading. So it wasn't the placebo effect.

What kills me though is 99% of the stuff on the market TODAY is garbage, but it sells like hot cakes. Jacked3D and other crap like that???? Give me a break....Great marketing though.
true

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm curious what people was buying and using I'm the late 80s and early 90s.

Any1 have any pics?

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I thought of another....there was a supplement that Bill Phillips did a review for and said it "tasted like gasoline"...the company used that quote and made and ad with it sating "because it works" with a pic of a model pouring a can into a motorcycle tank. IIRC the supplement was Met-Max.

Another....Russian Bear. Mix an entire jug with a gallon whole milk and drink all day. Strong wtf. I wonder how many guys used 7 jugs a week?
I just met a bro in the gym who wanted to know what I'm taking, that he was ready for the "next step" cause he had tried russian bear and everything and still couldn't gain weight...

I immediately gave him diet advice n to use a calorie calculator program to be sure he's eating what he thinks he is...

My contribution to the thread is just this side of 2000 with 75 dollar bottles of N02(AAKG) n the book that was sold got it as well....talk about marketing, write a whole book supporting the crap...

At 19 though I did catch some mean pumps using it, lol.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just met a bro in the gym who wanted to know what I'm taking, that he was ready for the "next step" cause he had tried russian bear and everything and still couldn't gain weight...

I immediately gave him diet advice n to use a calorie calculator program to be sure he's eating what he thinks he is...

My contribution to the thread is just this side of 2000 with 75 dollar bottles of N02(AAKG) n the book that was sold got it as well....talk about marketing, write a whole book supporting the crap...

At 19 though I did catch some mean pumps using it, lol.
LMAO. What amazed me when I was back in Hawaii is this guy in his mid 40s who was pretty damn shredded (small though) asked me about my BCAA drink and said he is taking "Natural steroids" Which was his soy milk, wheat grass, veggie juiced drink. I only thought one thing... The soy milk is castrating you slowly my poor friend....

Anyway, many of the people in Hawaii use the "Natural supps" like juicing etc. it seems. But then again I know at least 20% of them be doing the other kind of juicing... haha.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember creatine semum hitting the scenes, and me falling for it.

GodofWine

GodofWine

Awards
Isn't controlled labs (might be someone else) selling something with octocosanol in it again...

CLA also is being recycled . Most ingredients come back around eventually.

Besides protein, creatine, ph's , and ephedra, has anything really WORKED..even these AIs out today dont build an ounce of mass...

nclifter1978

nclifter1978

Awards
Ah yes, ultimate orange...what was in that stuff?

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think 4 anabolic substances one if which was dbol. Yep, the good ole days for sure. Hot stuff had dbol, ephedra and lots of good stuff also. At 19 or 20, I went from maxing 245 to warming up (12 reps) with 275 in a very short time. Gained like 30 pounds in 90 days on Hot Stuff, GHB, and some old time post workout protein powder. I had to make myself drop 15 of it because getting too big to surf . . .

HMBmuscle

HMBmuscle

Awards
LMAO. What amazed me when I was back in Hawaii is this guy in his mid 40s who was pretty damn shredded (small though) asked me about my BCAA drink and said he is taking "Natural steroids" Which was his soy milk, wheat grass, veggie juiced drink. I only thought one thing... The soy milk is castrating you slowly my poor friend....

Anyway, many of the people in Hawaii use the "Natural supps" like juicing etc. it seems. But then again I know at least 20% of them be doing the other kind of juicing... haha.
Good old Jack LaLane and his juice! Talk about longevity though...that is what I am looking for in the iron game for sure...lift until I'm dead!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Caffeine, ephedra, and sugars basically.

There was not any anabolics like that other guy there was trying to say

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Caffeine, ephedra, and sugars basically. There was not any anabolics like that other guy there was trying to say
Are you sure? Was there more than one formulation? Someone posted a can picture and thought they had label. Anyway, the discussion was that there was 4 anabolic substances in one of the formulations that got banned. I was told Hot Stuff had dbol and it has to the way I grew on it.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you sure? Was there more than one formulation? Someone posted a can picture and thought they had label. Anyway, the discussion was that there was 4 anabolic substances in one of the formulations that got banned. I was told Hot Stuff had dbol and it has to the way I grew on it.
Hot stuff maybe, I don't know anything about it. Ultimate orange was what I was answering to. It did have various formulations, but that was due to the ephedra ban.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This thread is a trip down memory lane for sure ( :p ) but as we all laugh, WE WILL BE LAUGHED AT 20 years from now and get justifiably ridiculed for all the overhyped gimmicky garbage we get suckered into taking THESE days too! haha So, the joke's on us!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.............

As much as I attemot to remain cautious and vigilant with the over-glorificiation of supps these days; I still fall prey from time to time. Sadly, these companies are marketing geniuses.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
remember the cybergenics kit? tried it, gave me diarrehea :))

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
remember the cybergenics kit? tried it, gave me diarrehea :))
I totally forgot about that one. I looked at that thing in magazines for MONTHS before I took the plunge.