38 6'5 330 going for 715 raw bench

Rommel65

Awards
Ok, so heres the problem I've been powerifting for many years and have taken numerous cycles. I am closing in on the World Record Raw Bench. With all of the added muscle comes added weight, with added weight comes high BP. My doc just put me on BP meds because of my weight. I am not fat, 38 inch waist and 62 in chest, but the doc says weight is weight. To hit 715 I'll probably have to gain some more weight, and take more more BP meds. So do i go for it and keep BP conrolled with meds...is that safe. Or, do I cut and become a normal person? How do all the other super heavyweight body buliders and powerlifters do it and stay healthy? Are all those guys unhealthy? What would you guys do?

TattooYou

TattooYou

Banned
Awards
Is lifting a recreation or sport? Are you competing or just trying to beat a record? I understand the appeal of more size, but at what cost? BP Meds are treating a symptom, not the underlying problem and with any meds legal or otherwise there are side effects and risks and increasing doses of statins elevates risk. How far are you willing to go and what price are you willing to pay? As my trainers often remind me, don't chase a number, focus your goals on being fit and healthy first.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Rommel,

Try some natural supplements to bring down that BP. Taurine reduces it quite a bit, but a tolerance needs to be built s-l-o-w-l-y as it will give you the hershey squirts if too much, too quickly. Beet juice also has natural nitrates that reduce BP. Yorked by USP Labs has Arginine Nitrate in it which is an excellent BP reducer, and GPLC powder works well too, especially if some citrulline malate is added . All of these are better than the drugs.

One or two of these should keep you in check while going for the record. Best to you!

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so heres the problem I've been powerifting for many years and have taken numerous cycles. I am closing in on the World Record Raw Bench. With all of the added muscle comes added weight, with added weight comes high BP. My doc just put me on BP meds because of my weight. I am not fat, 38 inch waist and 62 in chest, but the doc says weight is weight. To hit 715 I'll probably have to gain some more weight, and take more more BP meds. So do i go for it and keep BP conrolled with meds...is that safe. Or, do I cut and become a normal person? How do all the other super heavyweight body buliders and powerlifters do it and stay healthy? Are all those guys unhealthy? What would you guys do?
What blood pressure medication does he have you on? How high is your pressure?

Most of the top players in any sport put their lives at risk, whether it be boxing, MMA or track and field. They decide the sides are worth the risk. How do you plan on putting on the weight, I mean specifically?

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
What blood pressure medication does he have you on? How high is your pressure?

Most of the top players in any sport put their lives at risk, whether it be boxing, MMA or track and field. They decide the sides are worth the risk. How do you plan on putting on the weight, I mean specifically?
Naw! There are some cases where natural supplements beat out drugs completely and BP problems is one of those areas. If Rommel tries Yorked at 5-6 caps a day and adds GPLC at 5 grams per day his BP will stay fine. In fact, it may drop too low!

BTW, I'm not anti-drugs. I go by what is practical and what works.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Naw! There are some cases where natural supplements beat out drugs completely and BP problems is one of those areas. If Rommel tries Yorked at 5-6 caps a day and adds GPLC at 5 grams per day his BP will stay fine. In fact, it may drop too low!

BTW, I'm not anti-drugs. I go by what is practical and what works.
What did I say have anything to do with natural blood pressure medication? ... I know you're not suggesting that a natural supplement can beat out any AAS? That would be just ludicrous.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
What did I say have anything to do with natural blood pressure medication? ... I know you're not suggesting that a natural supplement can beat out any AAS? That would be just ludicrous.
We were talking BP health not getting strong or big, that's what the OP is about. None of BP meds are safe or healthy long term. ALL ARE NEGATIVE. They are short term solutions.

I'm not trying to be rude to you Detroit, I just want Rommel to try these natural solutions for BP as they work and are healthy. Example, if you use something like SD, don't you use milk thistle and other natural supps to fight liver problems, maybe even taurine for back pumps.

His doc tells him he should give up his dream and lose weight. You seem to be starting to say he has to take the risks of using the best blood pressure meds and go on with his dream. Yet I'm telling him there's stuff out here that will lower his BP risk free so he can go after his record and not lose his health or even lower it.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
We were talking BP health not getting strong or big, that's what the OP is about. None of BP meds are safe or healthy long term. ALL ARE NEGATIVE. They are short term solutions.

I'm not trying to be rude to you Detroit, I just want Rommel to try these natural solutions for BP as they work and are healthy. Example, if you use something like SD, don't you use milk thistle and other natural supps to fight liver problems, maybe even taurine for back pumps.

His doc tells him he should give up his dream and lose weight. You seem to be starting to say he has to take the risks of using the best blood pressure meds and go on with his dream. Yet I'm telling him there's stuff out here that will lower his BP risk free so he can go after his record and not lose his health or even lower it.
Man, I'm all for anything to treat BP. I just wanted to know if he was an an ACE inhibitor, Beta blocker or what. I have high BP as well, so it's a problem near and dear to my heart.

His question was are a lot of these guys who are at the top risking their health and the answer is yes, but that doesn't mean he has to. So I agree, maybe just didn't state it clearly.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can't help with the BP thing, but any vids of some big benches? What is your best bench in competition?