200lb difference between squat and deadlift (help)

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
A little background first i'm 21 years old 6'3 220 and my current 1rm are 565 deadlift 375 squat and 300 bench. I'm content with my deadlift and bench numbers for where i'm at but that squat should be atleast 475 not still in the 300's I don't think it's a lack of leg strength as my legs don't seem to be the reason for me giving out but other factors which I can't quite pinpoint or fix.

I'll try to post a video in a bit since that's obviously the easiest way to critique but in the time being I squat relatively high bar, not quite low bar but it's also not resting on the traps. I stand a little wider than shoulder width with toes pointed out, and depth isn't an issue I try to go ATG most of the time but with maxes make sure to hit at least competition depth levels just below parallel.

When I fail on a lift it's always out of the hole, i'll get slightly out then fail or just won't get out at all. I use a belt but I also have trouble breathing when squatting, more often than not I find myself not exhaling at all obviously this is an issue but I'm struggling with this as well as breathing into the stomach rather than the lungs. The weights never feel that heavy even when I tried 385 it didn't feel like the weight was too heavy but rather I just couldn't do it for whatever reason.

Anyways the difference between my deadlift and squat is what makes me thing I should be able to squat more, but could it be my leverages are just better for deadlifting and I'll never be a truly good dead lifter. If people have had similar problems, what did you guys do that helped you fix them?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It could be leverages but at a 200lb difference, and a good deadlift number, it makes me think that you just aren't squatting correctly, which will be impossible to tell without video. Even with video, you'll get a lot of different opinions here, some very good, some bad. But, definetly try to get video!

I've watched a lot of Chris Duffin videos lately as I admire him as a lifter and he gives very well put advice. He has a squat series on YouTube which I would suggest watching. One is specifically on bracing yourself during the squat. A deadlift one talks about breathing, but is still applies to the squat.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If agree with Sean, and post a video. The other thing is I wouldn't say I should be at "x" number. There are many things that can go into each individuals balance of the lifts that you really should just be stronger than yesterday, weaker than tomorrow type of attitude. If you are having trouble with a lift and then start think negatively around it that won't help either.

But for the real help a video would be great.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I'll work on getting a video up think I have one somewhere if not I'll tape a session tonight or tomorrow. It's been a rough go I don't really progress much other than when I make technical changes which is what leads me to believe I have more potential strength just not proper execution. Will look over some videos again have seen Chris Duffin before and If I remember his videos were very good.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with Sean. I was pulling 585 and barely squatting 405 on a good day. Took some tips from him and a few other guys on here as well as lots of other resources and completely relearned the squat. I'm now squatting quite a bit heavier and getting stronger every week.

Some people are just built better for one or the other, so there may always been a gap, but 200# is a lot for those two lifts.

ThorBara

ThorBara

Awards
Leverages play a huge factor. There are tons of good deadlifters(great leverages) who can't squat big expecially raw.