20 rep squat routine

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
225x20,... previous best 185x20 at the end of last year. I wanna thank you guys for the motivation,.. really gotta prep your mind for these!!!!
Congratulations! Tell him what he has won!! Well, to start, he has won the agonizing feat of trying to get off the toilet while his legs buckle underneath him, followed by a series of ridiculous looking ways to walk while waiting for his legs to recover, so he can do it all over again!!lol. nice job man.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
hahhahaha:lol:

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
luv em.... been doin DC since Jan. and none of my pants or shirts are fitting anymore,.. that sux. But besides that,.. I love DC. Ill do a 5x5 for warm ups and then the widowmaker high rep set, usually in the mid 20's. Between that and the forced stretches, I wished I found out about this stuff a long time ago.

Oh, and 100% agree on the increase in calories,... I though i was getting plenty before DC,.. I was quite wrong.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
luv em.... been doin DC since Jan. and none of my pants or shirts are fitting anymore,.. that sux. But besides that,.. I love DC. Ill do a 5x5 for warm ups and then the widowmaker high rep set, usually in the mid 20's. Between that and the forced stretches, I wished I found out about this stuff a long time ago.

Oh, and 100% agree on the increase in calories,... I though i was getting plenty before DC,.. I was quite wrong.
I see in your sig you know just what im talking about! Yeah dc is great for size and strength, i got same problem with the pants too, my quads are blowing up!

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
I recently did this last Friday, 20 reps with 225 which made me feel like my quads were tearing every rep after my 10th rep. I barely finished the other 10 reps, it felt like forever. Really bad form most likely lol, but it was pretty sweet.

I had to do 135 for 20 after that and I was struggling like hell with it.

Oh, and I ended up vomiting afterwards. First time for me. Blech.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
DC legs last nite.

Completed 220 x 21 (up 10lbs) and still in my rep range of 20+

Funny thing is that after my hard set of 280x7, i waited for 7-8min, and i get really nervous in a sense before my widowmaker. Funny how the 20rep squats really test you mentally....bigtime.

you'll get it. I did 245 for 20 last nite. yikes.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Tomorrow is squat day...going for 235x20 (up 10 pounds).

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
tomorrow is squat day for me too,... gonna go for either 245-250 x 25+(crossing fingers). I didn't think i would be able to heal up after my last leg day with heavy hack squats,... still got bruises on top of my traps from that damm thing, lol.:laugh:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
DC legs last nite.

Completed 220 x 21 (up 10lbs) and still in my rep range of 20+

Funny thing is that after my hard set of 280x7, i waited for 7-8min, and i get really nervous in a sense before my widowmaker. Funny how the 20rep squats really test you mentally....bigtime.
I totally know what you mean about that nervous feeling, as im gettin ready to go for 20 i look at the bar and im like,"awww man". Im goin for 260x20 tonite. Gotta write out my will.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i did 225x10 last leg workout, i did 225x20 the last time, just goes to show ya the body knows when to stop haha i wasnt wearing my belt when i did last workout wonder howmuch difference that made prob a bunch

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I've made gains in strength by using the 20 rep back squat scheme, squatting two days a week.

Sunday I'll do ONE set of ME Front squats (should PR every week, small increments), and to follow, a "20" rep back squat. I'd rather take the approach of picking a weight that you can squat 10 times, and keep hitting it every week until you can reach 20. Obviously, you need bumper plates or a squat cage with safety supports as you are going to failure.

And Wednesday I'll do ONE set of ME Back squats, also striving to PR every week in small increments.

If anyone is wondering about what program I have been following - CrossFit Strength Bias. CrossFit is a functional strength and conditioning program, and the template was designed to include additional strength training.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Only got 18...Grrrrr...
Next time!
Cmon man, failure is not an option!!!! LOL, just kiddin man, you get it next time, i got 260x20 last nite, almost vomited, shoulders are sore tody. It took me 2 full min to complete the set after rep 12! Sooo Hard!

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Cmon man, failure is not an option!!!! LOL, just kiddin man, you get it next time, i got 260x20 last nite, almost vomited, shoulders are sore tody. It took me 2 full min to complete the set after rep 12! Sooo Hard!
Yeah, it was mental...I know this for sure. My body was capable, but the mind was weak. Just wasn't feelin it that morning. Going to go for it again tonight...and this time its GOLDEN!!!!!

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it was mental...I know this for sure. My body was capable, but the mind was weak. Just wasn't feelin it that morning. Going to go for it again tonight...and this time its GOLDEN!!!!!
Just got home, 265 for 20, wow. glad i had a spotter. going for 270x20 on thurs. wish me luck. So how did you make out drivehard?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Just got home, 265 for 20, wow. glad i had a spotter. going for 270x20 on thurs. wish me luck. So how did you make out drivehard?
Great job!!!!!!!!
:notworthy:
I hope I'll be there someday

Nailed 235 x 20...with little issue. I could have gotten a couple more. Up to 245 x 20 next week!

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love the progress. Started nice and light with 135 then added 5lbs each w/o til I got to 175, still was easy so I jumped to 185 the next week! Some issues but nailed it. I want to get up to 225x20, not too bad since I am 165 lbs

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Great job!!!!!!!!
:notworthy:
I hope I'll be there someday

Nailed 235 x 20...with little issue. I could have gotten a couple more. Up to 245 x 20 next week!
You will get it i got faith in you brother!!. 10am today i go for 270x20, dude, im anxious, no other workout makes me feel like more of a b!tch than this one!!

I love the progress. Started nice and light with 135 then added 5lbs each w/o til I got to 175, still was easy so I jumped to 185 the next week! Some issues but nailed it. I want to get up to 225x20, not too bad since I am 165 lbs
Dude, thats awesome!!! JUst remember, failure is not an option, i dont care if it takes you 5 full minutes to complete the set!!! Good luck my man!!

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
are you doing DC training? If so, remember to rotate your exercises. So, u wont do squats, squats, squats on 3 consecutive leg days. U shouldnt be doing squats till 2 weeks...

For instance::::::

mon (week 1) - squats
fri (week 1) - hack squats
wed (week 2) - leg press
mon (week 3) squats (beat the book here)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
are you doing DC training? If so, remember to rotate your exercises. So, u wont do squats, squats, squats on 3 consecutive leg days. U shouldnt be doing squats till 2 weeks...

For instance::::::

mon (week 1) - squats
fri (week 1) - hack squats
wed (week 2) - leg press
mon (week 3) squats (beat the book here)
No im doin the 20 rep squat routine, in which you do one set of 20 "breathing squats 3 days a week, just the one set. Tom platz set this routine in motion years ago. The squat is followed by bench, bb rows, military press, weighted dips and chins. I know for the dc training you rotate them, but not on this program. you increase your squat weight by 5lbs each workout, so 90lbs in 6 weeks. i should be able to do my 5 rep max for 20 by the end.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^are you doing 20 reps on all your other exercises as well?

sonny4753

sonny4753

Awards
Widow maker/DC style is gut wrenching.

I'm really just curious about something and this is not to be taken personally by anyone BECAUSE this is a general curiousity.

Now considering how poorly a lot of people do squats (1/4, 1/2, 1/3 way down with 275 on and actually recording it as a 275lb squat etc) in every gym I have ever been too. Some of these numbers in here are insane, so are we talking REAL parallel, below parallel or the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 stuff?

I mean I have been doing this stuff for 10 years, and I know in the beginning I didn't squat all the way parallel and it took time and worked on it. When I finally got the form down it takes time to be able to move 275 from REAL parallel or below parallel. Now I can SERIOUSLY squat 315 below parallel and that is not easy and it took years.

To do weights like 260 20x after 5 sets of squats is truly impressive. I can't move that load 20x at parallel or below parallel after a full compliment of squats. So I'm just curious if the form is really there?

What do you guys think? I'm just trying to get input on the whole "squat" and form thing, and opinions on the topic.

Case in point: I saw a dude today being all big and bad at the gym loaded up 315 on the squat rack and get's all pysched up and does literally a 1/3 squat like 10x, and he was making noise like he just accomplished something. I just stared at him for a second and knowing how pissy some people get when you try to correct them, I just decided to walk away. I mean you REALLY are not engaging your quads by doing that stuff.

Same thing with barbell lunges, OMG if I see another dude doing a lunge where he barely gets to 45 degrees and knees over toes I'm going to scream.

Things like squats, deads, bbell lunges, bench are about form more about weight, cause you can really destroy your body doing this wrong. No?

Yay/Nay?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
i dunno.....i wonder that whenever i see someones stats....are they doing this with good form and deep reps...or....are they doing this at all....thats why i never post lift stats....this thread is the first time in 1700 posts that ive put a number to my weights...but yes i do go ass to grass....

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^are you doing 20 reps on all your other exercises as well?
No, just the squats. the program only calls for that. But all other lifts i only do 3 working sets of 4-8 reps, than a max.

warriors34

Awards
Tonight im going for 245x20 =]
hope i can do it...im only 158lbs tho

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Widow maker/DC style is gut wrenching.

I'm really just curious about something and this is not to be taken personally by anyone BECAUSE this is a general curiousity.

Now considering how poorly a lot of people do squats (1/4, 1/2, 1/3 way down with 275 on and actually recording it as a 275lb squat etc) in every gym I have ever been too. Some of these numbers in here are insane, so are we talking REAL parallel, below parallel or the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 stuff?

I mean I have been doing this stuff for 10 years, and I know in the beginning I didn't squat all the way parallel and it took time and worked on it. When I finally got the form down it takes time to be able to move 275 from REAL parallel or below parallel. Now I can SERIOUSLY squat 315 below parallel and that is not easy and it took years.

To do weights like 260 20x after 5 sets of squats is truly impressive. I can't move that load 20x at parallel or below parallel after a full compliment of squats. So I'm just curious if the form is really there?

What do you guys think? I'm just trying to get input on the whole "squat" and form thing, and opinions on the topic.

Case in point: I saw a dude today being all big and bad at the gym loaded up 315 on the squat rack and get's all pysched up and does literally a 1/3 squat like 10x, and he was making noise like he just accomplished something. I just stared at him for a second and knowing how pissy some people get when you try to correct them, I just decided to walk away. I mean you REALLY are not engaging your quads by doing that stuff.

Same thing with barbell lunges, OMG if I see another dude doing a lunge where he barely gets to 45 degrees and knees over toes I'm going to scream.

Things like squats, deads, bbell lunges, bench are about form more about weight, cause you can really destroy your body doing this wrong. No?

Yay/Nay?
Yes you are totally correct bro.

Most people do squats wrong, even when they say parallel. There not getting it. ATG is effing hard, without bouncing.

I pause in the hole then drive out................That **** is hard. 185-ish for 8-10 reps is all i got.

I can do 50ish more pounds at parallel or just above.

As far as widowmakers, goin true ATG without bouncing and doing a legit pause......i could probably only do 135. I need to try them.

I have been doing squats for an honest 3 years.

my two cents.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established

Most people do squats wrong, even when they say parallel. There not getting it. ATG is effing hard, without bouncing.

I pause in the hole then drive out................That **** is hard. 185-ish for 8-10 reps is all i got.

As far as widowmakers, goin true ATG without bouncing and doing a legit pause......i could probably only do 135. I need to try them.

my two cents.
I know for a fact that my form is correct, I however dont do widows, i just do the one set for twenty, and my ATG is when the top of my thigh is below my knee joint, very deep. And yes most people do not squat mcorrectly even when they say parallel, i am not one of those people however. As far as bouncing goes, i also pause in the hole, or put my box down and physically sit on it for a 1 count. I can do that with 275 for 8-10 reps, 315 for 6-8. Besides, the real mechanics of the depth opf your squat is open to alot of interpretation. I go ATG. Period.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established

my two cents.
agreed bro. Dont feel bad,.. im the same way. Bouncing in my early years (HS, first years of college) is what messed my knees up. I still go ATG but its all slow, controlled, with a 1-2 second pause at the bottom. I actually do my widows like that too. I honestly started my first 20 rep set (DC) with squats @ 135, and it got me good. ( as you stated doing them right, ATG). Now im going for 255 x 20+ on monday, so not bad for a tall guy,.. so deff try them out bro. Its all about determination, no matter how bad your lower back is cramped up @ rep 18,.. LOL.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Got 235 x 20 last night. Missed last week's squat workout because I went to my girlfriends kickboxing class the day before...my legs were a wreck!!!

I got just below parallel. I can't go ATG due to previous knee surgeries. I can't max all that high...but pushing out reps I can do pretty well. I got 10 reps with 3 breath rest, then 6 with three breath rest, then the last 4. Almost passed out before my last 4 this time.

Keep it up men!!!

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
if work goes right today, im going for 225x20 (PR)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Got 235 x 20 last night. Missed last week's squat workout because I went to my girlfriends kickboxing class the day before...my legs were a wreck!!!

I got just below parallel. I can't go ATG due to previous knee surgeries. I can't max all that high...but pushing out reps I can do pretty well. I got 10 reps with 3 breath rest, then 6 with three breath rest, then the last 4. Almost passed out before my last 4 this time.

Keep it up men!!!
Always!!, im up to 290x20, had to take a break last week, started getting exertion headaches during my 280x20 set, but i did complete it. Those headaches are brutal.

if work goes right today, im going for 225x20 (PR)
You got that all day brother!!!!

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i couldnt get 20 straight.... i had to rack it, catch my breath...get blood back in my brain then continue......it was rough

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
i couldnt get 20 straight.... i had to rack it, catch my breath...get blood back in my brain then continue......it was rough
You get it next time bro. Did you have a spotter? At what rep did you have to rack it?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
no spotter.....i know, i know.... racked it at 14 i think

Tumey

Awards
20 rep squats make me dizzy as hell. Ive been doing them now since i can longer go heavy on squats due to my knees. I got 325 for 16 couldnt seem to push myself for those last 4 reps.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
20repX5set leg workout for the win.

Only workout that has made me puke (aside from track)

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
its a love hate relationship.......truly

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
SWEET ASS!!!

Got 245x20 this morning...then promptly yaked my brains out!
Good thing the gym has a trash close by!

I don't care, it was well worth it...first 18 reps were parallel...last two were A2G!

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lol i did 185 for a total of 85 reps.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
20 rep squats and milk program works PERIOD!!

I did a modified version:

M/F: 20 reps (or failure) + one non-stop set to absolute failure usually 8-9 reps

W: upperbody workout

I ate 1.5-2lbs a steak after every workout and 3 gallons of milk a week and I gained 25 lbs in 5 weeks.

I increased the weight every workout no matter what and went to failure. Towards the end I was getting 16-18 reps becuz the back pain was too overwhelming.

I've never grown so fast in my life. Had to cut some weight afterwards though obviously as thats too much weight in 5 weeks but I think I ended the workout doing 235x16-18 at 188lbs.

Be true to yourself (make sure your going full depth and true failure) and have your diet and sleep in check and you'll grow like a weed guarenteed.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to try a combo of 20's one week and 4-6 the next. I did something similar in my younger days and it worked really well. I am supposed to get back into mountain biking with the wife as well...see how that goes after leg day lol.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i like to do squats 4-6 reps
at the end of an 8 week training split i will do two weeks of 4/3/2/2 powerlifting style and push the barrier big time
Squats for me are always below parallel ATG the only way

when i started out after a year i got stuck on 315, i could do it 8 times but could not do 335 for 2 haha. so i decided to stick to 315 until i hit it for 20, and i did i got up to 21. Then when i got stuck on 365 i did this again. then when i got stuck on 405 i did this again, unfortunately at 405 the most i ever got was 14 one week then i said screw it and went on going up until 600x2. but i am going to go back and get that 405 x 20 now that i see this video and all you guys talking twenties!!!

Maybe i will log it

So i definitely think the high reps has its place for me it is to smash mental and physical barriers more than it is for size. But if you can do any weight 20 times good form i think that is damn good practice before increasing the weight, and safer than jumping up in weight with lower reps

NAZ

NAZ

Awards
ive done a leg workout ive found on the animal site...

8x20 leg x
4x20 squats
4x20 hack squats

it kicked my ass, i do it about once a month

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
hmm i wanna try these now. but oday i did somthing a guy i work with calls rum runners....
im not gona lie its brutal. i felt so drained afterward. give it a go if u wanna try soemthing diff

stack 2-3 plates each side of the leg press, depends how strong ur feeling
get a buddy and go 1 at a time right after eachother

now first do 10 reps each, then 20 then 30 then 40 then 50 then 50 ,40, 30, 20, 10. on the set where ur doing 40 ur gona wonder wut the hell u got urself into :)

ur legs will be on fire i wanted to pass out, that is of course cuz i decided to do 10 sets of 10 on leg extensions after that...

shortstop1616

Awards
You want to build muscular power and endurance.. unfortunately those are complete opposite components on the resistance training continuum.

Power training would include 75-85% of 1RM with repetitions around 3. Moving a submaximal weight at high velocity.

Endurance training would include resistance at about 50% of 1 RM for repetitions around 15

Kind of a large gap. Doing 20 reps will increase endurance but will actually hurt your power.

www.vastmuscle.com

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
You want to build muscular power and endurance.. unfortunately those are complete opposite components on the resistance training continuum.

Power training would include 75-85% of 1RM with repetitions around 3. Moving a submaximal weight at high velocity.

Endurance training would include resistance at about 50% of 1 RM for repetitions around 15

Kind of a large gap. Doing 20 reps will increase endurance but will actually hurt your power.

www.vastmuscle.com

20 Reps increases my endurance drastically, leg size, and yes actually my power has gone up too. I believe Tom Platz swore by 20 rep squats, and would routinely do it with 500+ lbs, he had hella power and endurance.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I can say now that Ive switched back over to lower reps for now,.. my strength gains off 20 rep sets are amazing. I think 20 rep sets really teach you more determination and rev up your intensity, which transfers over if you go back to heavier, lower rep sets.

shortstop1616

Awards
20 Reps increases my endurance drastically, leg size, and yes actually my power has gone up too. I believe Tom Platz swore by 20 rep squats, and would routinely do it with 500+ lbs, he had hella power and endurance.
Endurance and power are are complete opposites. For example... look at a long distance runner and the size of his legs compared to a sprinter. The long distance runner's legs are much smaller and are less powerful due to smaller muscle size and smaller cross sectional area. Larger muscle or cross sectional area of muscle fiber = more strength and power.

Who would squat a higher 1 RM... the endurance runner or the sprinter.
Clear cut... the sprinter because he is more powerful, therefore power does not correlate with endurance and in fact endurance training will diminish gains in strength in power. This is why you don't see shot putters running 8 k's.

Tom Platz swore by it because he injected chemical substances that modified hormone levels in the body... if you know what I mean

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
BUT... legs are some massive muscle groups, quads, hams, glutes... etc
and a LOT of joints and body parts involved. that being said you can go from squatting 315 to 405 within a couple of months doing 3-6 reps. you have to consider the safety of all those body parts! that is where 20 rep squats come in. you do 315, 335, 365 for 6 reps then go into 315 x 20 until you get it to bring up the rest of your body to be able to handle that weight.

so YES 20 reps do increase power over the long run. because when you hit 405 x 6, 500 x 6 etc and your knees and hips are sore you are no longer going to have power. going 315 x 12, then 315 x 15 then 315 x 18 then 315 x 21... more reps each weeks is where you are waiting to let your tendons and everything catch up a little since those things take longer than muscle to respond properly so i always incorporate a 20 rep scheme to get ready to push the weights up further.

i dont recommend it all the time but once or twice a year it is a very good thing for your body to run 5-6 weeks increasing the reps as you get stronger with a weight