Shyguy1's 20rep squat routine

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Hello to everyone,

I've just recently finished dieting down (35lbs in last 3months!) and I was looking for a new challenging workout plan. My goal was to find some thing that had good cardiovascular work, growth hormone release, and solid gains in strength and size.

So a researching i went, and I ran across some good workout plans. I narrowed down the routines to 5x5, gvt,20 rep squat, 20 rep dead,and max ot.

So I settled on 6-8 weeks of 20rep squats, followed by a week or two of maintenance work and then 6-8 weeks of 5x5 training.

Well at this post I have 2 sessions under my belt, and here's how it went.

Training will be 3x week MWF

Wed april 9,08

Squats-
Warmup of bar x 20reps
2nd warmup of 135 x 10 reps
Workset of 185 x 20 reps superset with 50lbx20 barbell pullovers

Deadlifts-
1 work set of 135x15

Barbell Bench-
1x15 135lbs
1x15 185lbs
1x12 205lbs

Bent over row
1x12 135lbs
1x12 135lbs
1x12 135lbs

Seated dumbell press
1x15 45lb bells
1x15 45lb bells
1x15 45lb bells

Some observation after first day:

I was so depleted from dieting that this workout damn near killed me twice! After doing more research I found out that my squat weight wasn't nowhere near cutting it. The weight should be a 10rep max and you push to get 20reps.But before i started training like a madman i needed to get the cals back up!

So After one rest day and reengineering of my food intake. I decide to challenge more weight across the board.

Day 2 Friday april 11, 08

Squats
Warmup 135x10
Warmup 135x10
Hell 225x20squat/25lbx20 pullover

Deadlift
225x15

Bench Press
205x15
225x10
225x10

Seated row
100x15
110x15
110x12

Seated overhead dumbellpress
45x15
45x12
45x12

For the info I've picked up I should add 5lbs to the squats per workout session. I will experiment to see if I can add weight to all my other lifts perhaps every two sessions also.

Supps:

I was one of those dudes who bought everything in the world preban, alot of it I've given away,sold,used,etc. Well I got M5aa caps, 4ad,1test, and 19nor powder left.

I really just want to use the last of all this stuff, I don't really no how i should use it, if anybody has any suggestions let me know!

An idea:
160mgs/m5aa workout days only (They're 20mg caps, start dose at 100mgs end at 160mgs)
Transdermal of 4ad/1test
Hell I don't even know how to incorporate the 19nordiol into any of this.

So far I have taken about 600mgs of 4ad orally/ 100mgs of m5aa on the two training days each day. I'm waiting for some transdermal gel i ordered to arrive.

I Have some other supps to buy, but money is so tight! But I should have everything I need withing the next week. I'm not buying any new ph/ps products until I use up or give away this stuff!

Thanks alot any feedback would be welcome.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Day 3

Well it's sunday and the gym was empty so I had to go at it alone, which is cool my focus is better anyway.

Squats
235x20- Feeling like I'm starting to adapt.Think I could have tried 245 w/spotter.

Pullover
25x20

Deadlift
235x15- was killer but not as bad as I thought, Also could have tried 240

Bench Press
135x20/225x12/235x9

Seated Row
105x12/120x10/125/12

Seated overhead dummy press
45x15/55x12/55x8

Overall I felt more able to handle the workout.
I also like the idea of raising the weight every workout.

I'm going to try to add the prescribed 5lbs per workout to the squats, but I'm going to try to add 10lbs to the first day back after the 2 rest days every new week.

Example

Wkouts are Mon/Wed/Fri

Mon 235x20
Wed 240x20 (+5)
Fri 245x20 (+5)

Then the next week

Mon 255x20 (+10)
Wed 260x20 (+5)
Fri 265x20 (+5)

I think this would be a great way to maximize strength gains and take advantage of the 2 consecutive rest days.

Sorry I forgot the stats in the previous post:

Height 6'3"
Weight 250lbs on the dot

Supps:

100mgs m5aa:
20mgs upon waking
40mgs preworkout
20mgs 1hr post workout
20mgs 2hrs later

800mgs 4ad:
spread evenly with m5 doses.

Can't wait to get my transdermal gel, b/c then i could really make things happen!
And turn into this Guy:good:

laters

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Cool log so far. I thought I'd chime in. Looks like you put alot of thought and effort into this routine. If you can hack it, I think it will yield incredible mass gains.

I use a 20 rep "shock day" every now and then, but it seems as if you've based the whole program on the 20 rep squat, which is probably how it's supposed to be done.

Seems like a great thing and I'll be following along.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Today was a off day,

And boy did I need it!
Went to the gym to do just abs, nothing to crazy. I started to do some light tri's and bis just for the heck of it and a good friend of mine name greg, stop me and said "hey are you nuts your next workout day you need to get 245x20 on squats/245x15 on deads/235x10 on bench, do some abs and get the hell out of here!!!

Then I thought about it.....
All that he said was true and he didn't even mention the rows and shoulder presses!!

I did my abs and ran out of there!
Tommorrow is my second rest day before my 10lb ramp.
(Wk days Wed/Fri/Sun Off Mon/T/Th/Sat)

So far so good, lets see how it all goes:head:

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Workout day 4 (really day 8)

Today was great, the two consecutive off days did wonders.
And I think the combo of m5aa/4ad is kicking in.

Squats
245x20

Pullover
35lb plate x 20

Deadlift
245x20 even shocked me!!!

Bench
245x10/255x9/275x7
Now if you've followed the log you could see this increase was dramatic. Last workout I caught hell putting up 235x9 then throw up 20lbs+!!!! Are you kidding.

Seated row
115x15/130x10/130x10
This might have been the hardest excercise of the night.

Overhead Dummy Press
50x12/60x12/60x12

I really like this program and the mental toughness it builds.
The sets are so hard, you have to focus before or you wont get through. I find myself concentrating and zoning in more before every set.

With the addition of the m5/4ad, my previous goals may get blown out of the water. I will try to add 10lbs to my dead and squat weight instead of 5lbs. As far as bench I'm gonna focus on 260x10.

I think I will set my goals:

Squat
365x20
Deadlift
365x15
Bench
315x10

Pretty lofty huh?
I think I can pull it off, long as I keep my rest up and cals in.

Well till Friday.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
You can def. do that bro! Don't let your mind limit your gains! Especially with the m5aa and 4ad I think your gonna make some siccckkkk gains.

Nole1

Nole1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome log - definitely gonna track this and maybe give this routine a go this summer.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Thanks guys I think the gains will be pretty nutty.
This morning I woke up with some serious joint pain (elbow and right knee).
What's funny is the elbow went away when i got up and came back when i took a nap and went away again as soon as I got up again. Nutty huh?

Weighed in this morning before 1st meal
240lbs
That's down 10lbs. I don't mind though because it seems to be mostly fat. And my major efforts are going in to strength.

I think it's mostly fat because i can see definition in my arms coming in and my neck is getting a bit skinny;)

I'm contemplating if It would help or hurt doing abs on the off days? What do you think?

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Well I do abs everyday, but thats what works for me a lot of people do not like this idea.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Yo (day 5)

Here's today's log

Squats 275x20/pullover 35x20
-We'll call it 20, but this had to be the hardest set in history!! My form broke bad on 5 reps (reps 1,2,3,13,and 14) but at 20 I was burning and breathing so hard I didn't know if I could make it to rack the weight, one step away!!!
Great
Normally I would be optimistic to go up in poundage, but next workout we'll stay here if I get it with out my form being everywhere then i'll go up.

Deadlifts
275x15
Wasn't as hard as the squats but my abs were on fire. I really think the m5aa/4ad/19nor is working because i'm recovering fast.

Bench

245/8 easier than I thought could have pushed to get 10
275/6 racked it maybe one or two reps early, a little pissed about that.
Will go to down to 245 and get it to 12 before making a big jump again.

Hammer strength seated rows
160x12
180x12
270x10

I changed this from the seated row machine, because i was noticing a lot pain at the bicep insertion on the negative with the other machine. Plus i feel this less in my traps because of the angle. It works.

Seated Dummys press

45x12 super easy
50x12 pretty easy
60x10 easy than i thought but got help on last two reps

I was never one for dummy overhead press, but when i go to a more of a traditional bodybuilding program, these will definitely stay I feel these more in my delts overall.

Felt pretty good, so I did 3 sets of light barbell curls.(60,80,90)
And 3 sets of tricep extentions(100,110,125).

So looks like this is a good program overall, but do to cns stress i don't think following this with a 5x5 program would be good for the joints or the cns.

Also for all you guys outhere who are doing or have done this program, do you find yourself thinking about your workout the whole day of the workout up until it?

The last few workouts I've been visualizing the workout quite clearly. It's funny, stuff starts to hurt, you don't wanna go, then at once you find yourself at the gym....
It's calm.
You're ready
Well you're not really ready, but you go anyway.
And when it's over, you might be washed but you wish there was more.

Well until sunday

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Yo didn't go into today.

I gotta switch my working days to MWF instead of WFSun. So instead of taking my two consecutive during the week it falls on the weekend.

Plus I think I needed a day off for my joints sake. My right knee and right elbow have been aching a little. It's a funny dull, you can still do your excercise but it's nagging kind of hurt but it's cool.

You guys have any suggestions for a program to go at after this one's over. I think I will go to a more bodybuilding style workout.

You know what I've been dying to try for years, but working has kept me from being able?

A double split.

I've seen a couple of ways to do it.
1. Big Body part in the morning/Small body part in the evening with cardio. (Top choice)
This maybe easier to get in the groove of, plus keep you leaner.
2. Antagonist Parts- example: Chest Morning/Back Evening
Seems harder but may lend better size due to frequency, you could get the whole body out the way every 3 days
3. Push/Pull Push morning, Pull evening-3times a week.

Well all those are cool but I still have 4 hellacious weeks of the 20rep squats left and a ton of gains to make!!

Holla!!!..........(but do it quietly I got a headache;)

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Ya bro, this workout is awesome but definitely puts a lot of stress on the joints. How much are you warming up? I noticed once I started doing 15 minutes of warming up before I started my joint pain wasn't there. Also get some nutraplanet super cissus rx stuff kicks arse for joints. Lol hopefully this was quiet enough...btw your back is gonna be ridiculous if you decide to get cut!!!

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Workout 6

Yo went nutzo today!!!
If you've been following the log, you know my last workout wasn't the greatest on the squat but everything else went pretty good.

Well......

Things went great today.

SQuats
285x20
Last workout I barely got 275, but I blasted 285!!!
But don't get it twisted, this felt like the hardest set ever. Legs burning,chest burning,straining and struggling, but stayed tight ,form never broke like last workout. Took me about 5mins to catch my breath!!
Great!

Deadlifts
285x15

My goal is to increase deadlift and squat at the same time, but Instead of 20 the deadlift is for 15. Last workout 275 was hell, so I knew what to expect.
Pumped them nice and smooth, I even skinned both shins trying to make sure that i kept the bar close to my legs.
But the Pain pushed me more.
I always did Deadlifts here and there but this workout has me in love with deads and squats. I mean i feel stupid because my gains over the years couldhave been insane if i did programs like this. But it's all good.Better late than never.

Bench

245x10
clean felt good, if I would have pushed to full on failure could have gotten 12
250x8
Felt good but held it at 8 too long and had to rack it. Hate when i do that, should've just kept pumpin would have got my 10.
255x11
Now ain't that crazy? Laid down and went to failure but it almost felt easier than the 250, i know it's just 5lbs but it makes a difference.

Seated Hammer Row
180x12
270x12
330x7 That was a helluva lot heavier than I thought.Might work my last set at about 300~310 so I can get atleast my 10

Seated overhead dummy press
50x12 cake
60x12 cake
60x10 cake
Will make a effort to increase the lbs on the over head press.
Next workout will start at 60 and try to get 10 with 70's

Did 3light sets of tricept extensions and barbell curl.Just to finish me off.
Forgot to do the pullovers. But it's cool.

Starting to ache a bit, knee is alot better and the bicep insertion issue is gone since i cut out the other seated row machine, but elbows hurting a little and shoulders more tight than anything.
Backs more sore than hurtin so that's cool.

For anyone attempting or thinking about trying this program, REST AND EAT!!!! If you don't you will die!!:twisted:

But seriously you will have good gains if you take care of your nutrition and rest.

If you are stressed out at work or you worry about your girlfriend cheating, don't do this workout.

If you can't eat 6-8 meals and get 8-10hrs of sleep don't do this workout.

If you don't want to burn,hurt,strain, and be out of breath at the same time don't do this workout. But otherwise go for it!!

Till Wed:FUfinger:

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Seriously...

Ya bro, this workout is awesome but definitely puts a lot of stress on the joints. How much are you warming up? I noticed once I started doing 15 minutes of warming up before I started my joint pain wasn't there. Also get some nutraplanet super cissus rx stuff kicks arse for joints. Lol hopefully this was quiet enough...btw your back is gonna be ridiculous if you decide to get cut!!!
Never been ripped or cut, just been skinny and weak or somewhat strong and pudgy. So you think my back would be good?

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
For sure man, your lats look like they have really good width...Do you think that because this workout is so taxing on the CNS that there should be a de-conditioning period of training after we're done?? I've been thinking about it, but don't know what kind of workout would be best to not put so much stress on the CNS.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Most definitely...

For sure man, your lats look like they have really good width...Do you think that because this workout is so taxing on the CNS that there should be a de-conditioning period of training after we're done?? I've been thinking about it, but don't know what kind of workout would be best to not put so much stress on the CNS.
At the clip I'm going right now I would finish at 400~410 on the squat and the same on the deadlift. Now whether or not i get those numbers is to be seen but, I think a deconditioning phase is almost neccessary.
What I'm going to do is take 5-7 complete days off. Nothing.
Then The next two weeks 3days a week mostly machines nothing heavy 10-15 reps. Gotta heal. Because The next 10-12 week cycle will be mostly for size and then right back to strength on a 5x5. You push too hard on your cns and you start getting sick,weak, agitated, and you end up not in the gym anyway.

I see somany different things people recommend for strength.

What do you think out of the new stuff is great for strength mainly?

Size is cool but right now hard and strong would be closer to what I'm looking for.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Workout 7

Crazy

The one word to describe this.
The only word to describe us for doing it.
The way people look at us when were actually doing it right.
The way we act with raw weight trying it's damnest to crush you into the ground.

......Crazy........maybe..

Check it.

Squats
295x20/ Pullover 35x20
It amazes me that only after 7 total workouts (about 2 1/2 weeks or so). I've increased the 20 by 110lbs!!
I wish I could have did a video log because I know some people won't believe me but, who cares.

Deadlift 295x20

Check how this went down. They got these real cool cats that I workout with time to time, I call em "The Fcvks" and they got this thing.
What they do is on hard ass sets where you're probably too focused to count reps.They might cheat you a few. So I did 15 but they told me I only did 12, so I took 15 seconds and did 5 more. Well on my way to Passoutland, the fcvks told me you got the 15 at first. But it goes to show you when you dig deep it can happen.

Bench
255x6
275x11
295x7
315x5
335x3
This is where things really surprised me.
I wanted to put a serious effort in making strides in my pressing, both bench and overhead.
255x6-
Felt really good on the first few reps then my shoulder just gave. Didn't hurt ,just gave. Like it told me "Hey finish the set by yourself":D
Drank some water and added weight. Remember Crazy.......
275x11-
The fcvks came and gave me a spot and i really thought I counted 8 but them and another random guy assured me it was 11. Cool. Plus shoulder felt perfect.
295x7-
Was supposed to stay in the 265~275 range so I could pull the reps. But I was hummin on all cyclinders. So I kept increasing. This felt easy until the 7th rep, all at once it was just super heavy.
315x5-
Fluid good explosion at the top. Felt better about this more than all the bench lifts because this gives me the most hope for fullfilling my bench goals.
335x3-
Felt so Heavy after all the squats and Deadlifts. One of the fvcks said something pretty profound, "If you're doing this weight after this Hell you call a workout,imagine if you were just doing straight sets!"

Seated Hammer strength row
180x12 cake
270x10 tough but tight
290x10 tough
Really wanna work on keeping my form tight,because I love the stretch and contraction of this machine. For me being on the tall side it feels very smooth and clean. I don't have to make myself fit.

Seated Dummy Press
55x12 cake
65x10 -spot on last 2
70x6 by now I was shot and it just felt too heavy. I would say a combination of the heavy benching and cns. I left the gym jacked and looking forward to the next work out.

The m5aa/4ad/19nor is kicking ass. It's funny though. I don't feel all superman all day like how some describe. But during a set, it's like a switch is turned on and all hell breaks loose. But through out the day I feel normal. That's cool to.

Crazy......

Ass to ankles with the gym on your back for 20reps 10steps from the squat rack so you can't stop early.

Screamin' as you lock out the 20th rep of deadlift with the same "gym" you just finished squatin' with

Shins bleedin', Eyes poppin,Hyperventilating,Chest Burnin,Legs Burning, Back tight, and Lovin every single second of it.

The realisation that the next workout will be worst than this one.

But you what's not Crazy......

Knowing that when the "old you" would have quit, you kept going....... you finished.. and your stronger for it.

-Shy

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Lol crazy definitely describes it bro! I constantly find myself wanting to quit, but refuse to let myself. This workout has a large mental aspect to it I love it (even with terrible headaches). You sound like your turning into more of a beast every work out!! Keep it up man. btw I'm considering doing this workout afterwords, but toning down the volume a little bit, heres a link to it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lobliner28.htm this may be too much on the CNS after this workout though, what do you think?

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Cool, but....

Lol crazy definitely describes it bro! I constantly find myself wanting to quit, but refuse to let myself. This workout has a large mental aspect to it I love it (even with terrible headaches). You sound like your turning into more of a beast every work out!! Keep it up man. btw I'm considering doing this workout afterwords, but toning down the volume a little bit, heres a link to it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lobliner28.htm this may be too much on the CNS after this workout though, what do you think?
That workout seems good, but after this I probably wouldn't do it right after. I think I would probably do a deload and 6~8 weeks of a simple straight set program, more or less to let the tendons and joints heal.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Yeah your right, that workout does have too much volume. What do you think you are gonna do for setxrep schemes?

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Yeah your right, that workout does have too much volume. What do you think you are gonna do for setxrep schemes?
Well for the deload period. The first week or two will be nothing but active rest, some light cardio that's it. Then the next 2~4 weeks will be 3x10 typical bb workout. My focus will be mostly on perfecting my form on the big 3 excercises and muscle tension.
After that I'm probably gonna do size specific training for 8weeks, probably 2 a days/ 3days a week. This will allow me to get frequency in and cardio in to lean out a little too, I find that I respond better to frequency of workouts than volume in workouts. After that then a 10~12week of 5x5, this is more to get everything strong and more used to the lower rep ranges.
I really want to get to 405 on the bench,675 squat, and 500 deadlift. I wanna be around 265 not much more unless it's very clean weight, being 6'4 I think 265~270 hard will look nice on my frame.

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
Yo to all the cats outhere that was following the log. I was on a blistering pace and BAM!!!
A truck hit my car on the highway and fvcked me up good. That's why I haven't beenn posting.
Back and lower abs and hipflexor have been killing me.
Ah well that's life.
Started therapy and electro.
Regardless my goal is still to bench 500, dead,600, and squat 800. As soon as I heal I post my new workout log. I think I'll be leaning away from the bodybuilding stuff and start powerlifting.
I know a bodybuilding ethos is muscle is the main, the weights are secondary. But I'm the kind of person in all walks of my life favor function. I just can't be happy big and muscular and not as strong as i possibly could be.
It's kind of like having a Lamborghini murcielago with a v6, It's sure looks great but it serves no other purpose.
Oh well holla