pre-bed meal while looking to shed some body fat

acwingfoot

Awards
looking to shed some body fat but retain as much muscle as possible..

what about a 6 - 8 oz lean steak with some fibrous veggies such as green beans or broccoli .. say bottom round = 4g fat per 4 oz serving = 6 - 8 grams of fat total

i prefer whole food to protein shakes, i.e. casein shake before bed, and dairy is a no-go for me, i.e. cottage cheese.

Is the steak better than 99% lean ground turkey/ chicken breast + 1.5 tbs -2 tbs natty pb?.. looking to keep my body in anabolism and also keep the test levels up throughout the night with some protien + fat..

I usualy do not have any extra added fat in my diet besides a 2 - 3 tbs of ground flaxseed, all my fat comes from Lean meats and Fish Oil (6g daily)

The Gasman UK

Awards
won't do any harm, looks nice actually. The only issue i can see is digestive problems, when would you eat this? 1 Hour before bedtime? The fibrous veg + steak may sit a little heavy, perhaps have it 2 hours before bed. Shame you can't have dairy, cottage cheese is great and Quark + PB is fantastic.

Check the overall macro's of steak + veg to your other combo, see how it works out, but there is a positive correlation between red meat intake and testosterone levels.

MSE

MSE

Awards
I would not do the veggies and just stick with the steak. The veggies are usually added for the fiber in order to make you feel more full than you acutally are, since you will be asleep who cares?

acwingfoot

Awards
won't do any harm, looks nice actually. The only issue i can see is digestive problems, when would you eat this? 1 Hour before bedtime? The fibrous veg + steak may sit a little heavy, perhaps have it 2 hours before bed. Shame you can't have dairy, cottage cheese is great and Quark + PB is fantastic.

Check the overall macro's of steak + veg to your other combo, see how it works out, but there is a positive correlation between red meat intake and testosterone levels.
I usually eat this about 930/10 and then hit the bed around 11. I have been eating it with green beans and because if i just eat the steak then I feel like I didn't even eat anything. Its usually a cup steamed green beans. I tried the two hours before bed, but then I just wake up at like 1 and have to have something else... sometimes I have to down some Xtend or have a little protein pudding with ground flax seeds (just a mixed protein with a little water added to make it pudding consistency)....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would not do the veggies and just stick with the steak. The veggies are usually added for the fiber in order to make you feel more full than you acutally are, since you will be asleep who cares?
Completely disagree. Produce should be added to every whole-food meal and it will help to digest the steak and increase absorption. Fiber has many, many more functions than to just "feel full."

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i like xtend before bed when cutting i think it would help keep the weight off better then a whole meal

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
personally i have my dinner 2 hours pre bed.

then right before i goto bed i slam 10g leucine, 2 g lysine, and a nutrient repartitioner.

people will ask why those 2 aminos and a nutrient repartioner?

well 2 ketogenic aminos so no need to worry about glucose production, as well as blocking gluconeogenisis by the nutrient repartioner.

MSE

MSE

Awards
Completely disagree. Produce should be added to every whole-food meal and it will help to digest the steak and increase absorption. Fiber has many, many more functions than to just "feel full."
I am not stating that fiber is not necessary or beneficial to ones diet, I am simply stating that it probably isn't the best right before going to bed and should be consumed earlier in the day. Green beans are a moderate carb veggie and loaded with sodium (if canned), I see now he is steaming his own, so bottom line is it is probably not hindering his fat loss and if it helps him feel more satiated then it isn't a problem. As a GENERAL rule, the meal before bed should consist of proteins and fats if one is in a cutting phase.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not stating that fiber is not necessary or beneficial to ones diet, I am simply stating that it probably isn't the best right before going to bed and should be consumed earlier in the day. Green beans are a moderate carb veggie and loaded with sodium (if canned), I see now he is steaming his own, so bottom line is it is probably not hindering his fat loss and if it helps him feel more satiated then it isn't a problem. As a GENERAL rule, the meal before bed should consist of proteins and fats if one is in a cutting phase.
Green beans have very, very few non-fibrous carbs. Please explain how it is not a good idea to consume produce before bed?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Green beans have very, very few non-fibrous carbs. Please explain how it is not a good idea to consume produce before bed?
he probably doesnt understand how fiber slows digestion, or how it turns to short chain fats (which have faster conversion to ketones) in the body, thus making it a healthy thing to eat prebed, regardless of if there are 3g of carbs that arent fiber.

MSE

MSE

Awards
1 cup of green beans has the following breakdown
35 cals
8 grams carbs
3 grams fiber
Net difference of 5 carbs. As I stated earlier "bottom line is it is probably not hindering his fat loss and if it helps him feel more satiated then it isn't a problem."

I also stated that green beans are one of the "moderate carb veggies", if you are going to eat veggies before bed it is one that I will say is acceptable, but not for me. You use the word produce, to which I would disagree with your statement completely as the word produce encompasses all veggies and fruits, and I am quite certain you are not recommending one to eat potatoes and oranges before heading off to bed. Yes it is all symantics but I have only had 1 cup of coffee so far and am pissed off at the world due to my lack of carbs. :silly:

MSE

MSE

Awards
he probably doesnt understand how fiber slows digestion, or how it turns to short chain fats (which have faster conversion to ketones) in the body, thus making it a healthy thing to eat prebed, regardless of if there are 3g of carbs that arent fiber.
Hahaha, I understand quite well. Look, I don't like veggies before bed, period. As a general rule one would consume fats and slow digesting proteins only before bed. But if you are going to eat veggies, to feel more satiated, to add fiber, or any other reason you want to quote from your wikipedia searches, then as I previously stated "bottom line is it is probably not hindering his fat loss and if it helps him feel more satiated then it isn't a problem".

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
looking to shed some body fat but retain as much muscle as possible..

what about a 6 - 8 oz lean steak with some fibrous veggies such as green beans or broccoli .. say bottom round = 4g fat per 4 oz serving = 6 - 8 grams of fat total

i prefer whole food to protein shakes, i.e. casein shake before bed, and dairy is a no-go for me, i.e. cottage cheese.

Is the steak better than 99% lean ground turkey/ chicken breast + 1.5 tbs -2 tbs natty pb?.. looking to keep my body in anabolism and also keep the test levels up throughout the night with some protien + fat..

I usualy do not have any extra added fat in my diet besides a 2 - 3 tbs of ground flaxseed, all my fat comes from Lean meats and Fish Oil (6g daily)
Sleeping with food in your stomach will blunt GH release, hinder REM sleep, potentiate GERD and other gastro-intestinal issues and IMHO is not needed to retain LBM as much as the benefits of GH release and REM for recouperation.

Unless you are starving yourself or have some wasting disease you would do fine to sleep with nothing and or have your last meal two or more hours before bed. 6to 8 hours with a meal is not going to make you catabolic and if you are eating right while you are awake you will remain anabolic or at least anti-catabolic.

JMHO from my own experience.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hahaha, I understand quite well. Look, I don't like veggies before bed, period. As a general rule one would consume fats and slow digesting proteins only before bed. But if you are going to eat veggies, to feel more satiated, to add fiber, or any other reason you want to quote from your wikipedia searches, then as I previously stated "bottom line is it is probably not hindering his fat loss and if it helps him feel more satiated then it isn't a problem".
what wikipedia searches?

either way, so many ways to do it its up to him.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sleeping with food in your stomach will blunt GH release, hinder REM sleep, potentiate GERD and other gastro-intestinal issues and IMHO is not needed to retain LBM as much as the benefits of GH release and REM for recouperation.

Unless you are starving yourself or have some wasting disease you would do fine to sleep with nothing and or have your last meal two or more hours before bed. 6to 8 hours with a meal is not going to make you catabolic and if you are eating right while you are awake you will remain anabolic or at least anti-catabolic.

JMHO from my own experience.
thats a possibility, especially for GERD, however if he had dumping syndrome laying down after he eats would be fine lol

but insulin is an antagonist of GH release, if he is not consuming carbohydrates, lower GH responce shouldnt be a problem

i like my aminos pre bed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eating produce is one of the easiest ways to lessen GERD (a shot of vinegar is the easiest).

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Eating produce is one of the easiest ways to lessen GERD (a shot of vinegar is the easiest).
but a heavy meal like steak then laying down isnt.

i think thats what he was talking about, regardless of if you eat produce, a heavy meal like 6-8 ounces steak may cause issue in FEW people,. i can eat whatever i want however much i want before bed with no problem

MSE

MSE

Awards
what wikipedia searches?

either way, so many ways to do it its up to him.
Exactly, it is simply my opinion, but then again I would also have him jacked up on clen and T3, but we will save that for the dark side....

acwingfoot

Awards
personally i have my dinner 2 hours pre bed.

then right before i goto bed i slam 10g leucine, 2 g lysine, and a nutrient repartitioner.

people will ask why those 2 aminos and a nutrient repartioner?

well 2 ketogenic aminos so no need to worry about glucose production, as well as blocking gluconeogenisis by the nutrient repartioner.
the nutrient repartioner doesn't cause stomach/GI probs when consumed on an empty stomach? I use glycobol and have seen a few dosing protocol thats say gbol pre-bed with Xtend or other aminos but i was always worried about the GI distress. Since Xtend/BCAA's cause an insulin spike, or at least a slight one, (correct me if im wrong) the nut. repartioner will negate this and shuttle the aminos?? Just looking to disect your statement a little bit and clear my confusion.

Since steak seems to be a heavy meal, in consensus, so would we recommend maybe a casien protein or mixed protein with a couple tbs flax seed a better option?? I simply cannot go to bed if Im feeling hungry. I think that eating alittle before bed and getting to sleep is much better than not sleeping and waking up hungry constantly (which is what happens to me if I slack on a pre-bed snack/meal). I understand GH release and insulin spike are inversely related, therefore, straight Whey would be out of the question prebed, correct??

thanks for all the advice thus far!!

acwingfoot

Awards
Exactly, it is simply my opinion, but then again I would also have him jacked up on clen and T3, but we will save that for the dark side....
MSE - currently using clenviscerate.. I do have alpha t2.. but was thinking about saving it for a fura/at2/clenvis cut after the next bulk :scool:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will say it again - the is no need to be eating a meal of any sort before you go to bed. I don't care who you are or what special type of pheno-type you want to claim to be - you will not go catabolic and as long as you eat correctly (high protein) in the waking hours you will be anti-catabolic at least and at worst less(er) anabolic.

The supplement and nutrition industry is making a killing off of the OCD of guys who workout and think they are some elite body that needs some elite and precise nutrient requirement because they moved some heavy things around in repetition a couple times a week for a few months or even years. Your "edge" to the greater return is so very minuscule if even existent.

But of course we will have some pubmed studies (on rats and n=15 on untrained obese females) and other expert trainers and nutritionists that will persuade you differently.

Sorry - been around too long to see that it is a waste of your thoughts, energy, money and attention. Eat when you are awake and hungry. Sleep when it is bed time.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The insulin spike from leucine occurs with carbohydrates available

And david dunn... He stated he can't goto sleep if he's hungry. Let the poor kid eat

Yes a protein shake and some oil will suffice

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And david dunn... He stated he can't goto sleep if he's hungry. Let the poor kid eat
That has nothing to do with anti-catabolism or anabolism.

New-born and infants are also conditioned this way - falling asleep with Mommy's tit in their mouth (sarcasm for emphasis purposes).

It is an emotional and comfort conditioning and nothing at all to do with the above mentioned physiological states regarding anabolism.

A couple slices of pizza and a few tall-boys provide both the emotional and physical comfort needed for sleep :beerchug:

:D

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like the tit analogy. I myself am a fan of titties and they provide me much comfort as well

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 6
zodiiac523 Weight Loss 2
zodiiac523 Weight Loss 2
Nutrition / Health 9
Nutrition / Health 31