New routine, chest/shoulders same day?

Dubc1231

Awards
I just picked up this new workout regime off the AM front page. It has you do chest and shoulders on the same day. The routine says it’s more of a beginner/intermediate routine. I’d say I’m more of an intermediate level for sure.

The only downside I’ve found about doing both workouts on the same day is that come time to do shoulders I feel like a little weak bit** trying to do shoulder presses with half my usual weight cuz of already working out my chest and my shoulders being fatigued from it. I feel like doing both exercises same day could also lead to injury. I’m just curious if doing shoulders after chest at half my usual weight could be of any benefit since your basically giving them an extra workout combining the two or if it’s more beneficial to just do shoulders on their own day with the normal weight I’m used to.

I wanted to try something new cuz I’ve been doing the same routine for a while now. My usual routine consists of:

Day 1 - Chest/Biceps/Calf work
Day 2 - Back/Triceps
Day 3 - off
Day 4 - Legs/Abs/Few sets of cable flys
Day 5 - Shoulders/Traps
Day 6 - off

Then repeat

Check out the routine I picked up off the AM front page below and lmk your thoughts. Thanks guys.

fitnessandpower.com/build-muscle/8-week-muscle-building-program

Jjbizz

Awards
I almost always work chest and shoulders on the same day. Chest and tri’s usually work together. I’d say the new workout sounds a lot better than your usual workout.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just picked up this new workout regime off the AM front page. It has you do chest and shoulders on the same day. The routine says it’s more of a beginner/intermediate routine. I’d say I’m more of an intermediate level for sure.

The only downside I’ve found about doing both workouts on the same day is that come time to do shoulders I feel like a little weak bit** trying to do shoulder presses with half my usual weight cuz of already working out my chest and my shoulders being fatigued from it. I feel like doing both exercises same day could also lead to injury. I’m just curious if doing shoulders after chest at half my usual weight could be of any benefit since your basically giving them an extra workout combining the two or if it’s more beneficial to just do shoulders on their own day with the normal weight I’m used to.

I wanted to try something new cuz I’ve been doing the same routine for a while now. My usual routine consists of:

Day 1 - Chest/Biceps/Calf work
Day 2 - Back/Triceps
Day 3 - off
Day 4 - Legs/Abs/Few sets of cable flys
Day 5 - Shoulders/Traps
Day 6 - off

Then repeat

Check out the routine I picked up off the AM front page below and lmk your thoughts. Thanks guys.

fitnessandpower.com/build-muscle/8-week-muscle-building-program
Your usual routine is odd to be honest. Ideally, you would give triceps more rest or work them the say day as chest. Doing chest and shoulders a day before your tricep work is going to weaken what you could do.

There is nothing wrong with doing delts and chest the same day. Instead of doing all the chest exercises and then the delt exercises, alternate. It would like something like below

Chest movement 1
Shoulders movement 1
Chest movement 2
Shoulders movement 2
etc.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your usual routine is odd to be honest. Ideally, you would give triceps more rest or work them the say day as chest. Doing chest and shoulders a day before your tricep work is going to weaken what you could do.

There is nothing wrong with doing delts and chest the same day. Instead of doing all the chest exercises and then the delt exercises, alternate. It would like something like below

Chest movement 1
Shoulders movement 1
Chest movement 2
Shoulders movement 2
etc.
What confuses me most is doing back the day after biceps. I feel that could negatively impact the weight you can do for compound back exercises like Pullups.

I do Chest, Back, and Shoulders one day (alternating chest and back exercises and finishing with shoulders), and then arms and legs the next (or arms one day and then legs the next).

I find doing Shoulders with chest makes sense for me, as I do a lot of incline work that also already works the Delts fairly well.

I actually find I can go heavier on triceps (weighted dips) when I do triceps the next day than the same day after doing chest and shoulders). I think that, likely, the indirect tricep work from chest and shoulders isn’t enough to negatively impact the next day performance, but they’re a little acutely fatigued after chest and shoulders.

Dubc1231

Awards
Ya this routine was part of this 9 week diet plan/workout routine I found a while ago. I thought it always did me pretty well.

Chest/bicep day id do 3 chest workouts then 2 bicep workouts

Back/tricep day id do 3 back workouts and 2 tricep workouts.

Always felt that by following this I was getting double the workout in a way. I don’t think chest day before tricep day affected me much and same with doing back after bicep day.

But back to doing chest/shoulders same day. Do you guys feel that doing shoulders after chest lowers the amount of weight you guys can do once you get to shoulders Vs doing shoulders on their own day?

If I did shoulders on their own day I can usually put up 45lb dumbbells.

Doing shoulders after chest the last couple weeks I’ve been struggling with putting up 25’s on shoulders lol.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya this routine was part of this 9 week diet plan/workout routine I found a while ago. I thought it always did me pretty well.

Chest/bicep day id do 3 chest workouts then 2 bicep workouts

Back/tricep day id do 3 back workouts and 2 tricep workouts.

Always felt that by following this I was getting double the workout in a way. I don’t think chest day before tricep day affected me much and same with doing back after bicep day.

But back to doing chest/shoulders same day. Do you guys feel that doing shoulders after chest lowers the amount of weight you guys can do once you get to shoulders Vs doing shoulders on their own day?

If I did shoulders on their own day I can usually put up 45lb dumbbells.

Doing shoulders after chest the last couple weeks I’ve been struggling with putting up 25’s on shoulders lol.
What’s your goal? If it’s primary just building muscle, I wouldn’t be so much concerned with the absolute weight lifted on every exercise as just progressively adding more weight and/or reps to your sets, if that makes any sense.

I wouldn’t really worry about doing triceps the day after chest if you find it works. The bigger potential issue I see, if you hit biceps really hard or do a lot of compound back lifts that involve biceps, is doin back the day after biceps. It’s possible your triceps will be fresh the day after being indirectly worked via chest, so you can still have a good tricep workout, but it seems likely that having sore biceps that haven’t recovered from a direct workout could potentially lead to your biceps being a “weak link” and ending your back sets before your back fatigues.

Dubc1231

Awards
I feel you. I’ll stick with this new routine for the next 8 weeks and see how it goes. My main concern was just not being able to lift my usual weight on shoulders after doing chest. But if it’s not something I should be worried about then I’ll just stick with it and see how it does me in the end. My goal is to build muscle.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel you. I’ll stick with this new routine for the next 8 weeks and see how it goes. My main concern was just not being able to lift my usual weight on shoulders after doing chest. But if it’s not something I should be worried about then I’ll just stick with it and see how it does me in the end. My goal is to build muscle.
Yeah, I think it'll most likely be fine either way, particularly if you're a newer lifter. Just working out with any decent protocol and proper form, combined with proper rest and diet will yield solid results. Any slight tweaks in programming/days/etc will be secondary and you can figure out what works best for you as you go. No need to major in the minors. Good luck!

Dubc1231

Awards
Thanks, I’ve been working out off/on for 10 years now. And when I say off and on, I mean off and on lol. Mostly because of my left shoulder consistently becoming inflamed after about 2-3 months of lifting. I usually gain a good amount of size then I fall off because of the pain in my left shoulder and lose all my gains. And the cycle repeats. It’s been pretty aggravating. When I was between 20-22 (now 28) I did physical therapy and all that but the problem continues. I get clicks during dumbbell presses in my left shoulder. I’ve tried rotator cuff exercises but just ended up causing more problems for myself. It’s been a battle. Idk if I have bone spurs or what. I read those can lead to consistent issues with nerve pinching and inflammation. I’ve been making it a habit to ice my left shoulder 2-3 times a day even on my off days to try and prevent the issue again. I’ve also tried to stay away from dumbbells this passed month but slowly getting back into utilizing them while watching my form. It’s usually a problem with incline db presses on the way down my shoulder feels like it gets caught and clicks then pain persists and usually gets to the point where I can’t even move my arm. The daily icing has helped a lot with it tho I feel like. I’d like to get my shoulder checked out but I don’t have insurance atm.. I have no issues what so ever with my right shoulder btw. It’s always been the left side. I have scoliosis as well. My spine curves and causes my hips to be disaligned and my left leg is just about an inch shorter than my right. I have to wear a lift in my shoe at all times. I think with the curvature of my spine it may cause more weight from training to lean towards my left side which causes more strain on my left shoulder? Not sure just a hypothesis.

My shoulder pain was a big factor of the reason this post was made. Just wanted to try and avoid fu**ing my shoulder up again.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't do any form of overhead pressing if it causes pain, anterior delts will get worked if you are benching, posterior delts will get worked if you are doing any rows, find an exercise for medial delts that you can do without pain. If you can do all these without pain then maybe add in some direct shoulder isolation exercises.

Dubc1231

Awards
I’ll look into it! Like I said, it’s mainly when I do incline dumbbell presses (chest) that I feel the discomfort in my shoulder. I’m taking the weight easy. Not going too crazy. Just wanna stay in the game as long as possible this time around lol. Thanks for the tip!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I missed the incline press part

Dubc1231

Awards
Do any of you guys workout chest twice a week? Anyone ever superset their back day with more chest workouts?

Following this new routine it has me doing:

- upper body (chest/shoulders)
- lower body
- rest
- upper body (back/bi’s/tri’s)
- lower body
- rest
- repeat

Today I was on back/bi’s/tri’s but I threw in some chest supersets with my back workouts. I always feel my chest is ready to go again 72 hours after chest day.

Today I did:

- 4x Bent over barbell rows/3x barbell bench press (10lbs heavier than I did on chest day) superset
- 4x lat pull downs
- 4x seated rows/3x barbell incline press (10lbs less than I usually do when doing barbell incline press) superset
- bi’s
- tri’s
- then finished with 3 sets of cable flys.

The first superset Workout (bentover rows/barbell bench press) had me winded so I separated the rest of my supersets.

My chest isn’t (currently) as developed as most guys in the gym and is a high priority of mine. Haha. Really trying to do everything I can to maximize my time. My 1-rep max on bench press right now is 155. I’m a pretty hard gainer (ectomorph) even when I’m crushing 3500+ calories a day so I figured I’d start throwing in an extra chest workout in the mix.

I’ve done this in the passed and like mentioned before, ****ed up shoulder haha. I’m 4 weeks into a 1/4-andro cycle right now and my recovery times definitely seem to be pretty quick 48-72 hours, I’ve been crushing 3500+ calories a day, icing multiple times a day and so far my shoulder’s been doing pretty good.

Anyone else do this?

I figured once I can get my chest developed atleast until I’m somewhat happy with the size (not expecting it to get giant in a short time frame) I can back off the super-setting on back days but until I gain a little size I’d like to do anything I can to push it.