New 5x5 Training program

uncheelstar

Awards
So I've been meaning to switch up a routine from what I was doing. Was doing a 5 day a week workout, Such as:
Mon:Shoulders/Bis

Tues: Deads/Stiff Lef DL

Wed: Rest

Thurs: Chest/Tris

Fri:Back/Traps

Sat:Squats/Leg Press

Sun: Rest

For these workouts, I was doing reps in the range of 3-5, then 6-8, then 6-12 for each following set.

Have hit some plateaus and was thinking about switching it back to the good ol' 5x5 routine. Did this routine before but was wondering if anyone had any ideas or any modifications to either add some exercises or if this would be enough...

Mon: BB Bench press 5x5, BB Bent over row 5x5, BB curls 2x5, Skull Crusher 2x5

Tues: BB squat 5x5, Glute kickback 5x5, Calf raises 2x5, Turkish Get-up 2x5

Wed: Rest

Thurs: Incline BB Bench press 5x5 BB Bent over Row 5x5, BBcurls 2x5, Skull Crusher 2x5

Friday: Deadlift 5x5, Glute kickback 5x5, Calf raises 2x5, Turkish Get-up 2x5

Sat:Rest

Sun: Rest

I would be hitting the major muscle groups twice a week and would not be exhausting them, but was wondering if this would be enough. Please feel free to substitute an exercise or take one out if needed. My concern is that the shoulders would not be hit directly, and everyone loves to do hit those boulder shoulders. Like I said, any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Please critique and let me know what you think.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Could do 5x5 monday for bench and row, and 2x8 for db overhead press and pull down
Then wednesday do 5x5 for push press and pull ups, and 2x8 for incline press and t-bar row.

I think you need some direct hamstring work too:

Add in some single leg rdl's on tuesday and some split squats or pitcher squats on friday.

Looks solid aside from those suggestions.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
PS: Don't forget your ancillary and fixation movements:

scaption, external rotations, upper trap retraction (bent over dumbell raises, face pulls, reverse flys, etc.), hip abduction, various bridges, etc.

uncheelstar

Awards
Could do 5x5 monday for bench and row, and 2x8 for db overhead press and pull down
Then wednesday do 5x5 for push press and pull ups, and 2x8 for incline press and t-bar row.

I think you need some direct hamstring work too:

Add in some single leg rdl's on tuesday and some split squats or pitcher squats on friday.

Looks solid aside from those suggestions.

Br
Wow! Thanks for the input..I really like the idea of push press, and pull ups followed by the incline and t-bar row. Something to really switch it up.

Do you think stiff lef deadlifts incorporated after reg. deads would be alright to do as well?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Personally, yes. You may find otherwise, but it is a lot on the spinal erectors and local core, and once they fatigue you start using more back extensors than hamstrings in the movement and also increase risk of injury.
Thats why I sugggested single leg straight leg deadlifts (or rumanian deadlifts) on tuesday. You could add in some swiss ball hamstring curls on friday, or even some lying leg curls (do them one leg at a time) if need be.

Br

drudixon

Awards
Too many lifts and not repeated often enough. I don't grow at all working out 1 bodypart / week. I have to do 2x or more. I'm going the Bill Starr 5x5 and loving it. PRs every week and I've grown nicely on it.

uncheelstar

Awards
Too many lifts and not repeated often enough. I don't grow at all working out 1 bodypart / week. I have to do 2x or more. I'm going the Bill Starr 5x5 and loving it. PRs every week and I've grown nicely on it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

What version of Bill Starr's 5x5 program do you use? i.e strength, power, big 3?

Also how do you feel about lifting only 3 times a week? And how does your body respond to it?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My goals currently are to improve my speed and speed endurance (ie: run a sub 12 sec 100m and a sub 24 sec 200m). I train with weights 2x a week, using a linear periodization model of 3 to 4 week micro cycles progressing from hypertrophy to power.

That said, there's a few things I've found hold true (from personal experience, experience working with clients, and findings in the literature):
The best gains are achieved training each muscle once every 3-5 days
Train movements, not muscle groups
Focus on one major exercise per movement per training session
Periodize and program deload weeks
Training to failure every set is unnecessary, and often counter-productive
And eat...

Br