Trap Bar Deadlifts

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Trap Bar
For all you home gym junkies here is a MUST have piece of equipment. I could write pages praising the advantages of the Trap Bar and it's value in assisting the trainee to reach their physical potential. This piece of equipment, when used correctly has the ability to transform physiques. Muscles worked when using this movement are quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, upper back (lats, mid back, traps), forearms, and abs/obliques. In other words, the same muscles used a when performing the bent legged deadlift.
So what makes the Trap Bar so special, and makes it a superior movement to the strait bar deadlift for bodybuilders? Simple, it works the same muscles as the conventional deadlift while making it a safer movement by avoiding undue stress to the lower back and providing more stress to the legs. It turns the deadlift into an almost technique free event. Without having to “go around” your knees like when using a strait bar, all you need to really do is “pull”! Because it reduces the need for extreme technical proficiency as required during the strait bar deadlift, most trainees are able to push harder and move more weight. The sum total is a super productive movement that works approximately 75% of your lean body mass relatively safely in one lift. To top it off, this piece of equipment is relatively inexpensive. From a couple of sources including:
http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=2.1

Performance of the movement is relatively simple, stand inside the bar and hold onto the two parallel handles. Keeping your lower back slightly arched and your head up push down into the floor with your feet trying to keep the weight on your heels. Do not round the lower back, and do not take the movement to absolute failure (stop one rep short), and you can rest assured you will have sent a strong signal to your body to grow

If finances allow, this is a must purchase item for the home gym trainees. Unfortunately most gyms do not have a Trap Bar. If possible talk your gym owner into purchasing one, or allowing you to purchase one and deduct the price from your membership. After using my Trap Bar only one time, my brother purchased his own and carried it in the trunk of his car to the gym on leg/back day. This option should not be overlooked.
I have NEVER had a trainee use a trap bar without feeling like it was a revelation. I have had MANY people buy one on my recommendation and have NEVER had anyone regret the purchase. The trap bar deadlift has aptly been called the squat-lift as it effectively somewhat combines the two movements into one. It allows much more use of the quads and more evenly distributes the load over the legs and back than a conventional or sumo deadlift.
It works extremely well for guys that just can’t “find the groove” when squatting, or who have terrible body mechanics for squatting. And it does wonders for those guys that just can’t get over their damn knees being in the way when they do deadlifts-lol. It doesn’t replace the squat and deadlift for most people (it can for some), but is a great alternative to use in their place at least some of the time.
The one caveat that must be addressed is that like regular deadlifts, trap bar deads are extremely hard on the CNS, and metabolic systems as a whole. A little goes a long way. This is definitely not a move for doing high volume work with.
If you are primarily a powerlifter you will still need to keep regular deads in your program in most cases. While some people get a big carryover, others don’t get as much and unless you are training Westside style you will still need to do whatever style you pull at the meet prior to the meet.
If I was for some reason forced to pick only one core movement for overall growth and lower body work, the choice would be made without a seconds thought, the trap bar would win hands down. Its that good!

Iron Addict

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Now that sounds like something I would need to be getting... how are they for doing shrugs. I have a big problem with my back now and doing any shrug right now hurt but once my back is better, would this be something that might help to keep my back from getting injuried again?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
well the problem is right now with my back.. I can't dead.. back just feels very unstable.. but I do know what you mean about not needing to shrug if you dead heavy...

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Matt,

Then your best but may be doing shrugs in the rack with the bar set JUST below the level you start the move from. Unless you have blocks or order one of the olympic lenght bars from PDA there is no way to not have to pick up the bar. You may also find just adding some volume to your shoulder day and emphasizing the traps doing presses and even laterals can work the **** out of your traps with much less stress than trying to shrug pounderous poundages. If your back is so-so, meaning it's not really keeping you out of the gym, but is not 100%, it's time to do some higher rep lifts for anything that loads it to any degree.

Iron Addict

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
IA,
I remember along time ago when you had on gotfina about the trapbars and I bought one a year ago, I have done them religously now for almost a yr and I am proud to say I am 35 lbs heavier!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
deadlift bar is an excellent piece but some gym (like mine.....) has a dead/trap bar which you dont step into, rather, it looks like a square "U" shape in the middle. (half a dead bar) the handles are very slippery and turns too much and it really is a useless piece of metal. But the one shown in the link is an excellent choice when deadlifting or shruggin. Just no worries of scratching your shins when performing the movements.
Sage

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
hey IA i was curious.. is the trap bar a good thing to use for military presses? saw someone doing it.. seems good!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just no worries of scratching your shins when performing the movements.
Yeah, but it sure is fun to have the perpetual benchers and cable machine bodybuilders look at you like you're crazy after laying a shin open. ;)

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lakemount,

You have to have a way of getting into the bar, which means a way of suspening it at almost shoulder level. Not worth the troub;e in my mind, when barbell and dumbell presses do the same basic thing.

Iron Addict

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Lakemount,

You have to have a way of getting into the bar, which means a way of suspening it at almost shoulder level. Not worth the troub;e in my mind, when barbell and dumbell presses do the same basic thing.

Iron Addict
i saw the dude doing it in the squat rack with the safety pins up.. what i have been noticing when doing military presses though is that on my failure rep my back cramps up (upper back) from pushing so hard haha.

Beta BBer

Awards
IA-
couldn't agree more about the trap bar! this is the only thing that makes my traps grow (excluding deadlifts, which i often use a trap bar to do anyway)