Enhanced Muscle Performance- Propionyl-L-carnitine, CoQ10, Nicotinamide & Riboflavin

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Enhanced muscular Propionyl-L-carnitine, CoQ10, nicotinamide & iboflavin

Enhancement of muscular performance by a coformulation of propionyl-L-carnitine, coenzyme Q10, nicotinamide, riboflavin and pantothenic acid in the rat.

Vargiu R, Licheri D, Carcassi AM, Naimi S, Collu M, Littarru GP, Mancinelli R.

Section of Human Physiology and Nutrition, Department of Applied Sciences to Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Via Porcell 4, I-09124, Cagliari, Italy.

A coformulation of essential factors, i.e. propionyl-L-carnitine (PLC), coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), nicotinamide (NAM), riboflavin and pantothenic acid, was administered orally to Wistar rats for 7 weeks and its efficacy was tested through in vivo and in vitro techniques in improving motor functions of striated, cardiac and smooth musculature of the rat. In vivo experiments showed that long-term supplementation significantly improved horizontal locomotor activity by about 19% in male and 26% in female rats. Maximum values of shortening velocity, work and power were significantly increased (P<.05) in papillary muscle isolated from treated rats. A positive inotropic effect was also observed on colonic smooth muscle strips upon treatment. Work was the most affected parameter and it increased by 160% in smooth muscle from treated animals. The present results indicate that supplementation with the combination of the above mentioned substances elicits positive functional changes on motor performance of skeletal, cardiac and smooth muscle of the rat.

PMID: 12044598 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, I wish they'd get off the fucking rats and tap a *little* more resource into athlete studies... I understand in most areas results can be comparable and we can make fairly accurate assumptions and conclusions from them, but damn... it's a pain in the ass to not have more, real athlete studies... if anything proves safe and too effective though, boom, slap that **** on the organized sports banned lists... but then I guess that's the whole point of the archive project ;)

elijah_123

Awards
What kind of dosage are we talking about here, and are the results only during supplemenation or do they stay around after no longer taking the compounds?

dez/null

Awards
Yeah? and the point being...We are not rats we are humans.

Your better off testing on human then wasteing money on this...

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Co Q10 is a point of interest to me and that is how I came across this study. There seems to be certain evidence that it has its place in humans. The rest was just interesting to me but I hardly think it would be a waste of money to give it a try.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I would like to see creatine added to this mix, though.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm going try it at some point. God forbid we should wait for the Dr.'s to test it on humans first when the compounds are already known to be safe for human consumption and therefore would not put us at risk. We need to find things that work now, not later! ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I've tried L-Carnitine at 3 grams a day for 2 months and was extremely disappointed. My mom takes Co Q 10 at 100 mg a day and she says it helps a little w/energy, but she's about 20 pounds over fat so I don't think it may help much in reducing bodyfat levels.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
CoQ10 has benefits in heart health which may unrivaled by any other natural supplement. That may not be of concern for you younger folk but it is for us older gents. It also may have benefits for all cellular tissue.

p_zub

Awards
Yeah? and the point being...We are not rats we are humans.

Your better off testing on human then wasteing money on this...
The reason they "waste" their money on this is because there are ethical considerations to be done in science when testing on humans. They start on rats to see the effects and or and side effects. If the side effects are negligible or absent, then they can take the studies on to humans. The doctors could be sued if they started on humans and someone died as a result.