Ferulic Acid Research

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As most people have probably already noticed, ferulic acid has been making its way into various supplements recently. I've seen/read a few people saying that they haven't seen much, or any, research (especially human studies) on it, so I figured I'd share some of the research on it I've come across.

What exactly is ferulic acid? Well, this paper summarized the basics very well.
Ferulic acid (FA) is a phytochemical commonly found in fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, sweet corn and rice bran. It arises from metabolism of phenylalanine and tyrosine by Shikimate pathway in plants. It exhibits a wide range of therapeutic effects against various diseases like cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative. A wide spectrum of beneficial activity for human health has been advocated for this phenolic compound, at least in part, because of its strong antioxidant activity. FA, a phenolic compound is a strong membrane antioxidant and known to positively affect human health. FA is an effective scavenger of free radicals and it has been approved in certain countries as food additive to prevent lipid peroxidation. It effectively scavenges superoxide anion radical and inhibits the lipid peroxidation. It possesses antioxidant property by virtue of its phenolic hydroxyl group in its structure. The hydroxy and phenoxy groups of FA donate electrons to quench the free radicals. The phenolic radical in turn forms a quinone methide intermediate, which is excreted via the bile. The past few decades have been devoted to intense research on antioxidant property of FA. So, the present review deals with the mechanism of antioxidant property of FA and its possible role in therapeutic usage against various diseases.
Ferulic Acid: Therapeutic Potential Through Its Antioxidant Property

As for studies that users here may be more interested in (this is Anabolic Minds afterall), one study noted that 8 weeks of 30mg/day ferulic acid noted increased body weight and muscular strength in weight lifters. The full text of this study is rather hard to find, but it is referenced in books and other studies, as seen below:
Bucci LR, et al. Effect of ferulate on strength and body composition of weightlifters. J Appl Sci Res. 1990;4:104-109. | Fortitech Premixes
https://books.google.com/books?id=l6_Jj5gRup0C&pg=PA334&lpg=PA334&dq=Nutrition+in+Exercise+and+Sport+ferulic+acid&ots=9ouFb8A0wD&sig=VEzraNyl-XxgRYAe27coJbkV2F8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xO9kVMSsNcaiNtCOg6AN#v=onepage&q&f=false
Effects of gamma oryzanol supplementation on anthropometric measurements & muscular strength in healthy males following chronic resistance training

Another interesting benefit of ferulic acid is that it has been shown to increase post-exercise beta endorphin levels at similar doses to what has been shown to the study mentioned above. Exercise (and meditation) elevate beta endorphin levels, which are correlated with the positive mood changes noted after exercise and meditation (as well as pain perception during endurance sports).
The effects of running and meditation on beta-endorphin, corticotropin-releasing hormone and cortisol in plasma, and on mood. - PubMed - NCBI
Changes in beta-endorphin levels in response to aerobic and anaerobic exercise. - PubMed - NCBI

As for which supplements contain ferulic acid, see the following list:

-Performax AlphaMax XT (30mg/day of 95% ferulic acid)
-PES Ergonine (95% ferulic acid in a prop blend)
-PES High Volume (it looks like it now has 95% ferulic acid in a prop blend)
-PES Alphamine (the reformulated version has 95% ferulic acid in a prop blend)

My first time using ferulic acid was in Ergonine, but after that I used standalone ferulic acid to try it out knowing exactly what dose I'm getting, and have also from AlphaMax XT, which contains an effective daily dose. It's a nice ingredient that you don't see very often that I feel has the ability to help increase mass and strength, while also providing potential mood benefits (via increasing post-exercise beta endorphins). I find that the combination of ferulic acid, ashwagandha, and tongkat ali (all found in full doses in AlphaMax XT) provides very nice daily mood benefits.

In conclusion, not only does ferulic acid have potential ergogenic benefits, but it's also a generally healthy supplement with potent anti-oxidant effects that "exhibits a wide range of therapeutic effects against various diseases like cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative."

As I've mentioned before in my write-up on betaine, I'm a big fan of ingredients that can not only help us get bigger and stronger, but are also not only not bad for our health, but actually healthy and good for us. I would say that ferulic acid deserves a mention in this category of ingredients/supplements.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it true it's more bioavailable in food?http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0348323
It does seem that way based on the study you linked to, but I'm going to read through the full text of the study before I come to any definitive conclusions (PM me if you want the full text to the study, I have a PDF of it).

I will say that while it may be more bioavailable in food, that doesn't mean that it's not effective as an extract or pure FA.There are actually lots of things that are synergistic with ferulic acid, which makes it even more interesting.

There are animal studies that found benefits with higher doses (when converted, higher than the 30mg/day used in human studies), and one study noted that higher doses resulted in even greater increases in exhaustive swimming capacity in mice.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I posted a chart in another thread of all the foods containing FRAC - IMO, there's no need to put it in a supplement at all - it's everywhere. I remember someone joking about Anabolic Pop-Corn :D

Found it!

Attachments

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I posted a chart in another thread of all the foods containing FRAC - IMO, there's no need to put it in a supplement at all - it's everywhere. I remember someone joking about Anabolic Pop-Corn :D

Found it!
If there's no benefit from supplemental ferulic acid, why would studies note benefits from additional ferulic acid use?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's an interesting read since you specifically mentioned Gamma oryzanol http://hightowerpharmacology.blogspot.com/
The GO study I linked to was really only there because it referenced the FA study in the text, and information on the FA study seems to be hard to come by, although that study did note improvements in strength. That is interesting though.

Edit: Interestingly, this GO study noted no differences in "measures of circulating concentrations of hormones" including testosterone in weight-trained males. Beta endorphin levels were also unchanged, where ferulic acid has been found to increase them.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9407258/

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
I've read it's not very water soluble, how does this effect it's use in supplements?

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
The effects of gamma-oryzanol supplementation during resistance exercise training. - PubMed - NCBI

These data suggest that 9 weeks of 500 mg.day-1 of gamma-oryzanol supplementation does not influence performance or related physiological parameters in moderately weight-trained males.
The effects of gamma-oryzanol supplementation during resistance exercise training. - Abstract - Europe PMC

Worth noting that Fry 1997 study did not see additional benefits from ferulate supplementation, and they used recreationally trained college students. The changes noted were not above what would be expected from the 9 week training

And another study on highly trained distance runners showed that ferulate did nothing (Bonner 1990)

The bucci study is also questionable, ferulate group was 6 people placebo had 4. Ferulate group had 50% more subjects compared to the placebo group
would seem to me the only real use is topical as it looks to help with the absorption of some nutrients one may have in a topical formula. Like it helps with absorption of vitamin e topically? Maybe vitamin c as well?

Just not seeing this as worth while to me at least in William Llewellyn gave this 2/5 showing ( best case posted was on animals and was intravenous injection) no benefit on strength and a 1/5 empirical evidence very poor.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The effects of gamma-oryzanol supplementation during resistance exercise training. - PubMed - NCBI

The effects of gamma-oryzanol supplementation during resistance exercise training. - Abstract - Europe PMC

Worth noting that Fry 1997 study did not see additional benefits from ferulate supplementation, and they used recreationally trained college students. The changes noted were not above what would be expected from the 9 week training

And another study on highly trained distance runners showed that ferulate did nothing (Bonner 1990)

The bucci study is also questionable, ferulate group was 6 people placebo had 4. Ferulate group had 50% more subjects compared to the placebo group
would seem to me the only real use is topical as it looks to help with the absorption of some nutrients one may have in a topical formula. Like it helps with absorption of vitamin e topically? Maybe vitamin c as well?

Just not seeing this as worth while to me at least in William Llewellyn Sport Supplement Reference Guide current ( 2011 ) he gave this 2/5 showing ( best case posted was on animals and was intravenous injection) no benefit on strength and a 1/5 empirical evidence very poor.
Regarding the Fry 1997 study, a newer study (2014) found that while GO supplementation didn't increase anthropometric or body measurements, it did increase muscular strength in healthy young males, although the subjects weren't trained individuals.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164998/
Additionally, the 1990 study referenced did note some increases in post-exercise beta endorphins towards the end of the study.

As for other potential uses, while I haven't seen any human studies yet, it seems to be synergistic with astragalus (consistent with their combination in Traditional Chinese Medicine)::
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651405
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24488720
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3081123/
as well as piperine:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26220010

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
Overall I am fairly skeptical and it does not appear to have actual use in bodybuilding I will give other possible benefits but I am not convinced of a use in bodybuilding myself; It being included in something I suppose doesn't bother me I largely do not think its going to do anything at all in healthy adult men/trained lifters ( for strength/size ).

And that 2014 study is odd considering their findings and the interpretation of their own work leave me like lol wut... Edit: More work is going to be needed to show anything on this and lot of conflicting information available.

More information can't hurt tho

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If there's no benefit from supplemental ferulic acid, why would studies note benefits from additional ferulic acid use?
Because they didn't eat Popcorn? :D I don't know. But popcorn has 313mg per 100 grams, and Sugar Beet Pulp has 800mg per 100 grams. That whole chart is mg/100g. IMO, anyone with a varied, micro-nutrient dense, whole food diet - doesn't need FA.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Because they didn't eat Popcorn? :D I don't know. But popcorn has 313mg per 100 grams, and Sugar Beet Pulp has 800mg per 100 grams. That whole chart is mg/100g. IMO, anyone with a varied, micro-nutrient dense, whole food diet - doesn't need FA.
Excellent. I had a small cheat at the movie theater with popcorn last night.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I guess the same argument can be made with tyrosine, it is more than available in high protein meats etc. but many still supplement with it. Could be a similiar case.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I guess the same argument can be made with tyrosine, it is more than available in high protein meats etc. but many still supplement with it. Could be a similiar case.
Well, that's a free-form amino acid with dopaminergic properties so I wouldn't say it's similar

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe it just shows the importance of a solid diet, haha. Everyone needs to start eating popcorn and soy lecithin granules! I know a lot of people feed their horses beet pulp, but I've never heard FA mentioned.