Best protein supplement to gain weight in muscle?

msully

Awards
I'm a 16 year old track and field athlete and admittedly pretty scrawny. I'm not looking to gain 100 lbs and become a huge bodybuilder but i do want to gain some weight and put on some good muscle mass. Currently I'm 133 lbs but would like to get at least close to 150 by the end of summer. I have what I believe to be a moderately high protein diet (lots of meat, poultry and nuts), I am very active, and I am on a strict workout regiment:
*stretch arms and legs every morning and before every workout
Monday: upper body (chest and biceps) w/ abs
Tuesday: 3-4 mile distance run
Wednesday: lower body (quads, calves and hamstrings) w/ abs
Thursday: speed workout on the track (endurance sprinting/hurdle work)
Friday: upper body (biceps, triceps and back) w/ abs
Saturday: upper and lower (high reps low weight)
Sunday: rest

With my age, weight,and workout schedule being said, what would be the best protein supplement that would help me maintain and gain muscle mass. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'm a 16 year old track and field athlete and admittedly pretty scrawny. I'm not looking to gain 100 lbs and become a huge bodybuilder but i do want to gain some weight and put on some good muscle mass. Currently I'm 133 lbs but would like to get at least close to 150 by the end of summer. I have what I believe to be a moderately high protein diet (lots of meat, poultry and nuts), I am very active, and I am on a strict workout regiment:
*stretch arms and legs every morning and before every workout
Monday: upper body (chest and biceps) w/ abs
Tuesday: 3-4 mile distance run
Wednesday: lower body (quads, calves and hamstrings) w/ abs
Thursday: speed workout on the track (endurance sprinting/hurdle work)
Friday: upper body (biceps, triceps and back) w/ abs
Saturday: upper and lower (high reps low weight)
Sunday: rest

With my age, weight,and workout schedule being said, what would be the best protein supplement that would help me maintain and gain muscle mass. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
Supps for your age:
-Steakadrol
-Egg Whites
-Whole Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Chiken Breasts

As for protein those are some good choices. As for Carbohydrates which is what you need for glycogen and also muscle growth:
-Oatmeal
-Brown Rice
-Fruits
-Veggies
-Whole Wheat Pasta/Bread
-Ezekiel Bread
-Sweet Potatoes

As for fats , which are needed for your currently awakening gonads and hormones:
-Natural peanut butter
-Natural Almond Butter
-Fish oil
-EVOO
-EVCO

Don't look for supplements , merely a psychological crutch that is USELESS at your age, and it looks like you are an Ectomorph (Skinny guy) you need to eat a lot, and hold back a bit on the cardio, just a bit, and get a solid beginner workout plan like Starting Strength and 5x5. Need more help with nutrition and training , jump to the proper forums and thou shall be advised, or pm me if u want!

bobbymac

bobbymac

Awards
Oatmeal mixed with whey protein and peanut butter. Eat that 2 to 3 times a day. Running and gaining weight is tough to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Why don't you change your Saturday session to just lower body? After doing arms and back on Friday I don't see the need to do more upper body work the next day.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I don’t believe supplements are a useless psychological crutch. Yes, there are many useless supps out there but you can’t go wrong with a good protein powder. I would never have been able to put on the size that I have without protein supplementation. While it is good to eat a lot healthy protein rich foods, your family probably is going to cater their meals to your needs. As far as brand I wouldn’t be too concerned just pick a powder with a high protein to weight ratio. To find this: look on the label and divide the protein content in grams by the scoop size usually also listed in grams. X by 100 to get a percent. Anything above 75% protein is great. Isolates are usually a good bet but a bit pricey sometimes.
Better remove that signature and read the rules...hm and also, Whole Milk has whey protein and casein protein both...hm...cottage cheese is rich in casein...which is what protein powders are made of, would you tell a 16 year old he NEEDS to buy protein powder because he can NOT gain any weight without it? Oh wait you just did...Please , studies to back it up...Because you do NOT need protein powder to gain weight, it is good for you ok I admit it, I have had protein powders too, but whole meal nutrition and sleep is MORE than enough and ALL he needs at 16 years old...

gymfean

Banned
Awards
Supps for your age:
-Steakadrol
-Egg Whites
-Whole Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Chiken Breasts

As for protein those are some good choices. As for Carbohydrates which is what you need for glycogen and also muscle growth:
-Oatmeal
-Brown Rice
-Fruits
-Veggies
-Whole Wheat Pasta/Bread
-Ezekiel Bread
-Sweet Potatoes

As for fats , which are needed for your currently awakening gonads and hormones:
-Natural peanut butter
-Natural Almond Butter
-Fish oil
-EVOO
-EVCO

Don't look for supplements , merely a psychological crutch that is USELESS at your age, and it looks like you are an Ectomorph (Skinny guy) you need to eat a lot, and hold back a bit on the cardio, just a bit, and get a solid beginner workout plan like Starting Strength and 5x5. Need more help with nutrition and training , jump to the proper forums and thou shall be advised, or pm me if u want!
^^^ he's got it right.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Supps for your age:
-Steakadrol
-Egg Whites
-Whole Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Chiken Breasts

-Oatmeal
-Brown Rice
-Fruits
-Veggies
-Whole Wheat Pasta/Bread
-Ezekiel Bread
-Sweet Potatoes

-Natural peanut butter
-Natural Almond Butter
-Fish oil
-EVOO
-EVCO

I disagree celly. A whey protein powder is a great thing for him to have. Since he is track and field he cannot really lower his cardio because it's how he gets better. Would you tell a football player to stop going to practice because he needed to gain weight to make the 1st team? And as far as whole milk I am understanding that cows milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey (approximately.) While human mothers milk is the opposite (been a while since I read the article that cited that but will check for it when I get in the CPU) so by supplementing with whey he has more potential to grow plus its easy calories to add everyday.

I tens to agree with your argument when we are talking hormonals but a whey protein powder I see no problem with. I would even go far enough to say that a creatine mono Supp could also really help this kid with his goals. That is of course assuming that diet and training are good.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Why are you arguing about the absorption rate of proteins? I really doubt that's going to make much of an effect on anything. As long as you get your macros in I don't think it really matters if you took in 100g of whey and 200g of casein or vice versa.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
at 16 food is the only supplement you need if you think you need more protein eat more food you want to use a weight gainer also eat more food. if you really cant get enought calories to gain weight and feel you need a supplement whey protein is fine for a quick high calorie "weight gainer" 2 scoops protein powder 2 cups whole milk 1 cup oatmeal 1 banana 2tbs natural peanut butter few ice cubes blend and enjoy

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I disagree celly. A whey protein powder is a great thing for him to have. Since he is track and field he cannot really lower his cardio because it's how he gets better. Would you tell a football player to stop going to practice because he needed to gain weight to make the 1st team? And as far as whole milk I am understanding that cows milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey (approximately.) While human mothers milk is the opposite (been a while since I read the article that cited that but will check for it when I get in the CPU) so by supplementing with whey he has more potential to grow plus its easy calories to add everyday.

I tens to agree with your argument when we are talking hormonals but a whey protein powder I see no problem with. I would even go far enough to say that a creatine mono Supp could also really help this kid with his goals. That is of course assuming that diet and training are good.
Yes Lets see, I do NOT have anything against protein powder, but 100g of whey protein powder and 100g of beef/albumin/casein protein is still 100g of protein. The "absorption" factor is highly more determined (IMO) to insulin sensitivity and mainly genetics. Most people will argue that a Post Workout shake will be best to get gains and shuffle the protein right in there, but then again...most recent studies prove that there is little to no difference as long as you get your macros hit for the day. As for the Creatine Mono, I think it would be great, once he learns to train properly, saw the split he has? He needs to learn to train for strength, hypertrophy and sarcoplasmic reactions before going for supplements like Protein Powder and Creatine Mono, the main issue I am debating here is the mindset it brings at such a young age already by getting a subconcious rection of: "If I don't take whey powder or creatine mono , I just can't grow" While we all know (those who read...) that growth is as simple as:

kCalories Consumed > kCalories Burnt.

I do not say that they are bad supplements, but needless for his age mainly since he is a novice (like many of us here were/are) who needs to master basic diet and nutrition knowledge and practice , along with basic compound movements and some baseline knowledge of this lifestyle, before starting to lean out his parents wallets at the sh1tty vitamin store with the red letters , or getting him thinking what the previous poster said and I completely disagree with: "without protein powder I can't grow" ...come on Jimmy, you get what I mean? I know Whey and Creatine Mono are great staple supps, but not at a beginner stage where he needs to know that everything comes from hard work, diet, dedication and will, rather than to get the subconscious mindset of "supps=miracle growth"

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Why are you arguing about the absorption rate of proteins? I really doubt that's going to make much of an effect on anything. As long as you get your macros in I don't think it really matters if you took in 100g of whey and 200g of casein or vice versa.
I'm not arguing absorption rate? I don't recall saying anything about it at all? I tend to believe the same thing, I just brought up something I read about the differences between the milk we evolved upon and the milk that cattle have evolved upon. We are not cattle so to say that cows milk is the end all be all of nutrition, to me, is ridiculous. But all that i say here is just my opinion, based upon the literature i have read and what has worked for me.

Now so not take that to mean I do not drink milk. Because j do but I also believe that adding whey protein to a diet has it's place. Is it necessary for growth? No. But i do believe it is beneficial.

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Supps for your age:
-Steakadrol
-Egg Whites
-Whole Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Chiken Breasts

-Oatmeal
-Brown Rice
-Fruits
-Veggies
-Whole Wheat Pasta/Bread
-Ezekiel Bread
-Sweet Potatoes

-Natural peanut butter
-Natural Almond Butter
-Fish oil
-EVOO
-EVCO

I agree with most all except the whey protein.

I think it would make a world of a difference if he were to take a shake with him to the gym, but of course how diet has to be in check.

At 16 not too many kids eat clean. They think a salad negates the effects of pizza. I started with just simple/cheap whey protein and and I started to make larger gains. Then I added a shake in the morning because most high schoolers skip breakfast bc they only want to sleep, due to the fact they play Call of Duty until 3am every night and get up at 7:40am to get to class at 8am..personal experience :p

To the OP(Original Poster) I recommend you get diet and sleep schedule intact then go get yourself some Whey Protein, check NutraPlanet they always have great deals, and take a shake immediately post workout and with oatmeal for breakfast. Fish oil(omega-3's) could help with joints as well.

Again follow Celorza's meal plan, but the Whey is okay.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Yes Lets see, I do NOT have anything against protein powder, but 100g of whey protein powder and 100g of beef/albumin/casein protein is still 100g of protein. The "absorption" factor is highly more determined (IMO) to insulin sensitivity and mainly genetics. Most people will argue that a Post Workout shake will be best to get gains and shuffle the protein right in there, but then again...most recent studies prove that there is little to no difference as long as you get your macros hit for the day. As for the Creatine Mono, I think it would be great, once he learns to train properly, saw the split he has? He needs to learn to train for strength, hypertrophy and sarcoplasmic reactions before going for supplements like Protein Powder and Creatine Mono, the main issue I am debating here is the mindset it brings at such a young age already by getting a subconcious rection of: "If I don't take whey powder or creatine mono , I just can't grow" While we all know (those who read...) that growth is as simple as:

kCalories Consumed > kCalories Burnt.

I do not say that they are bad supplements, but needless for his age mainly since he is a novice (like many of us here were/are) who needs to master basic diet and nutrition knowledge and practice , along with basic compound movements and some baseline knowledge of this lifestyle, before starting to lean out his parents wallets at the sh1tty vitamin store with the red letters , or getting him thinking what the previous poster said and I completely disagree with: "without protein powder I can't grow" ...come on Jimmy, you get what I mean? I know Whey and Creatine Mono are great staple supps, but not at a beginner stage where he needs to know that everything comes from hard work, diet, dedication and will, rather than to get the subconscious mindset of "supps=miracle growth"
Well you know I agree with the whole psychological crutch aspect and I do agree that whey post so is not.necessary for growth. ( just convenient :p). My.understanding of his training split is more of a crappy coach at his HS. Now if that is his own workout then I agree that he needs a better split but at that point with him being an athlete as opposed to just a gym rat then I would recommend WS4SB. :p LOL I guess we will just butt heads on all aspects of this post!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Well you know I agree with the whole psychological crutch aspect and I do agree that whey post so is not.necessary for growth. ( just convenient :p). My.understanding of his training split is more of a crappy coach at his HS. Now if that is his own workout then I agree that he needs a better split but at that point with him being an athlete as opposed to just a gym rat then I would recommend WS4SB. :p LOL I guess we will just butt heads on all aspects of this post!
:D you know i wuv yah you sky diving soldier, and I do agree with you that Whey is a mighty good addition to someone's diet ;)!

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Supps for your age:
-Steakadrol
-Egg Whites
-Whole Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Chiken Breasts

-Oatmeal
-Brown Rice
-Fruits
-Veggies
-Whole Wheat Pasta/Bread
-Ezekiel Bread
-Sweet Potatoes

-Natural peanut butter
-Natural Almond Butter
-Fish oil
-EVOO
-EVCO

Listen to Celorza, he knows what he's talking about.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Steak works pretty good.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Listen to Celorza, he knows what he's talking about.
:blink: thanks...I do what I can hehe, but it is true that whey is a good dietary addition , but not in the way some think as a "needed" supplement for growth :p!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
seriously.......these thread topics get real old

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
seriously.......these thread topics get real old
The problem is that everyone thinks they are special so when/if they search it they decide that it doesn't apply to them and start there own thread.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
If it wasn't for whey I would not "eat" anything from when I wake up until around lunchtime. I'm not hungry in the morning so why am I gonna eat? just so that I can say I ate "whole food" ??? do I get a medal for that or something? :D better to take in a whey shake than to not eat at all or force feed yourself...I'll swig down a 50 gram whey in water shake and eat when I'm hungry later.....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
If it wasn't for whey I would not "eat" anything from when I wake up until around lunchtime. I'm not hungry in the morning so why am I gonna eat? just so that I can say I ate "whole food" ??? do I get a medal for that or something? :D better to take in a whey shake than to not eat at all or force feed yourself...I'll swig down a 50 gram whey in water shake and eat when I'm hungry later.....
i have a shake at 10-1030am and my first actual meal at roughly 3pm....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
i have a shake at 10-1030am and my first actual meal at roughly 3pm....
same here, 'cept around 11-11:30 then around 3PM......unless its a day I wake up later then the times are adjusted accordingly lol.....my sister was eating a scrambled egg for breakfast every morning, but she was like I'm not hungry all the time and most of the time I don't have time to cook/eat.....so I suggested the whey protein option, and she seemed to like it. of course she takes in one scoop, I'm a "boy" so i take in 2 scoops :D....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
same here, 'cept around 11-11:30 then around 3PM......unless its a day I wake up later then the times are adjusted accordingly lol.....my sister was eating a scrambled egg for breakfast every morning, but she was like I'm not hungry all the time and most of the time I don't have time to cook/eat.....so I suggested the whey protein option, and she seemed to like it. of course she takes in one scoop, I'm a "boy" so i take in 2 scoops :D....
You got a sister?
Is she fine?