Exercise In A Pill

DarCSA

Awards
Exercise In A Pill

By Liza Jane Martin

WebMD Features

Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD

April 12, 2002 -- Tired of doing aerobics? Running (or jogging) on empty? How about taking an "exercise pill" instead? With what researchers are discovering about the biochemistry of muscles, the notion might not be as far-fetched as it sounds. The information could one day help chronically ill, immobile people reap all the health benefits of aerobic exercise.

"We think this discovery could lead to the synthesis of new drugs that will allow individuals to acquire the health benefits of regular exercise, even if they cannot exercise," says lead author R. Sanders Williams, MD, dean of the Duke University School of Medicine, in a news release. "It has the potential to improve the lives of patients with heart failure, pulmonary disease, renal failure, diabetes, and other chronic diseases."

Williams' team has been studying the biochemistry of muscles for 20 years. In 1998, they learned that activating a particular pathway in the body could mimic the effects of endurance exercise. From there, they went on to investigate why, and how, muscles react to and change from exercise.

For example, certain types of exercise -- such as weightlifting -- build muscles, making them bigger. Other types -- such as long-distance running -- cause muscles to change in a way that makes them resistant to fatigue and lowers the exerciser's risk for heart disease and diabetes.

They wanted to know how muscle cells "know" that (and how) they are being exercised, and then translate that information into the genetic expressions that produce various changes in the body.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">In the end, they identified an enzyme, or type of protein, that controls production of muscle tissue mitochondria -- the tiny powerhouses within each cell that convert oxygen and other molecules into usable energy. The more people exercise, the more mitochondria their cells produce. This is makes them fitter, because their bodies have more energy available

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Williams' team created mice in which this newly identified enzyme was always active, always "on." Even when these animals just sat around, their muscle cells produced mitochondria as if they were exercising, taking on the attributes of fit, active mice. And these muscular changes are the sort that reduce a person's risk for diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic illnesses.

The findings appear in the April 12 issue of <I>Science</I>.

"An inability to exercise complicates many chronic medical conditions and makes those conditions worse. For example, we know that heart failure patients who exercise regularly feel better, and over time acquire a greater capacity to exercise, but many are unable to perform the amount of exercise necessary to produce the favorable effects," says Williams.

"One application of this discovery, if it leads to the development of drugs to activate this pathway, would be to help improve the quality of life of people who have such chronic disease," he says.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> <o:p></o:p>

DarCSA

Awards
This drug has amazing potential once it can be developed. The number of infirmed persons in this nation could greatly use a drug of this nature. I just would hate to see it in the hands of the general population trying to rely on some miracle promise that they would never have to run or do aerobics ever again. I wasn't sure what thread to put this article in. If it needs to be moved please do so. I hope to see this somewhere down the road. This can be a great asset to people who can really need help.

shpongled

Awards
Hmm... I'll believe it when I see it....

David

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I'd give that **** to my grandmother....she could use it, she can barely walk and already had a stroke, this could be interesting.

BUT it will be years before anything liek this comes out and the price they will charge will be rediculous......

Pretty Soon Jeff summers from Impact Nutrition will be promoting.

"exercise in a bottle"     30 day supply for only $800.......buy 3 bottles get a key chain

but it does sound interesting, and I agree that it shouldn't be made available to the general public.....before you know it, people will be eating there big mac combo followed by exercise in a pill..

h19

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
While I don't like the idea of people thinking they can take a pill and get away without exercising, I think this would be nice for people who workout regularly.  I would imagine it would work synergistically to promote increased protein synthesis or something along those lines....

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... I take Myostim, thank you very much. Currently 7'0", 620 lbs, 4% bf. I've never touched a weight in my life and thanks to this miracle product, hopefully I'll never have to. The technology is already on the market guys, I suggest you all hurry to take advantage of it.

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
More like cataracts in a pill hehehe

Seriously though id buy it in a heartbeat, seroiusly! I hate cardio so id be the VERY first one to buy if money allows :)