Reasons for high AST (SGOT)?

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG

The first photo are my bloods from July. Second photo are my bloods from this week. The areas that were high in July were bc I went in for my blood drawing a bit dehydrated. I made sure to go in hydrated this time, and it remedied my prior issues. However, now my AST (SGOT) is high. A lot higher than it was just a few months ago. I don’t drink a lot of alcohol, and I’ve never used oral steroids, PHs or anything harsh on my liver. My recent supplements have been King Slayer, Massacr3 and TopMuscle. Unless there is more than meets the eye with these 3, I’m not sure what’s raising a liver enzyme that much. Are one of these supps the cause? Could it be from a strenuous workout the day before? Any other underlying factors? Any theories are appreciated.

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
IMG_6266.JPG

It appears my most recent blood results were posted twice in my OG post. Here are my bloods from July I referenced.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Training can and probably will elevate liver enzyme activity.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That level of difference cannot be from a workout from the day before...

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What do you think it could be then? I don’t understand how everything else is in check.
not a clue... could be millions of odd things but I would ask a doc

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
not a clue... could be millions of odd things but I would ask a doc
Is that level of high that worrisome that I should ask a doc? Or considering I’m not on any type of AAS or PH, should I just detox a little, go about my routine for another month or so and get another blood test? I’m curious because I don’t know if that’s just a bit high and could be an anomaly, or if that’s dangerous high.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Is that level of high that worrisome that I should ask a doc? Or considering I’m not on any type of AAS or PH, should I just detox a little, go about my routine for another month or so and get another blood test? I’m curious because I don’t know if that’s just a bit high and could be an anomaly, or if that’s dangerous high.
its certainly not "exceptionally" high, but the fact that it almost doubled in that time frame without anything that you know of influencing it is a bit concerning... for reference, I tested out at 60 2 years in a row before the docs even considered looking deeper... the first year they just asked if I drank a lot or stuff like that (I had just gotten back a week or so earlier from a 7 day all-inclusive cruise, so a complete carb/booze bender) which they wrote off. When it came back high (lower year two but still over 60) they ran more bloods and found that I have a mildly fatty liver (extremely common in american unfortunately, and in my case, not reflective of my diet or training which annoyed me) as well as a larger than normal liver (which they think may have had to do with an odd hepatic virus/growth period I had as a very small child).

For me, theres nothing to do, but they made me get an ultrasound and then an mri because they thought they saw a growth on the US (which the mri came back and said nothing, just big liver ha)... that said, there are a TON of things that can effect your liver vals and unfortunately some of them are incredibly nasty and present zero symptoms.

Why is it that you're running regular bloodwork anyways? If not for a doc or cycle, seems like an odd thing to do so often (tho in this case maybe a good/lucky catch...)

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
its certainly not "exceptionally" high, but the fact that it almost doubled in that time frame without anything that you know of influencing it is a bit concerning... for reference, I tested out at 60 2 years in a row before the docs even considered looking deeper... the first year they just asked if I drank a lot or stuff like that (I had just gotten back a week or so earlier from a 7 day all-inclusive cruise, so a complete carb/booze bender) which they wrote off. When it came back high (lower year two but still over 60) they ran more bloods and found that I have a mildly fatty liver (extremely common in american unfortunately, and in my case, not reflective of my diet or training which annoyed me) as well as a larger than normal liver (which they think may have had to do with an odd hepatic virus/growth period I had as a very small child).

For me, theres nothing to do, but they made me get an ultrasound and then an mri because they thought they saw a growth on the US (which the mri came back and said nothing, just big liver ha)... that said, there are a TON of things that can effect your liver vals and unfortunately some of them are incredibly nasty and present zero symptoms.

Why is it that you're running regular bloodwork anyways? If not for a doc or cycle, seems like an odd thing to do so often (tho in this case maybe a good/lucky catch...)
Thanks for this. Since it’s only slightly elevated and it was very normal in the summer, I’m hoping it’s just from very intense training sessions. I’ll retest in a few months. I just started doing bloods this past summer. I wanted to have some baseline numbers.

I also thought it’d be a good idea to run bloods after I finish new supplements to see if they had any impact on my test or lipids (even tho they’re non-hormonal). That’s really the reason for my most recent blood test. I just finished an 8 week run of King Slayer and TopMuscle. I wanted to make sure neither was negatively affecting my health. The supplement business is a bit shady to me, so I wanted to stay on top of it. And to be honest, the fact that I’ve changed nothing about my routine except for those 2 supplements makes me wonder (aside from more intense workouts). Additionally, my cholesterol was the same, as well as everything else, but my test dipped almost 200 points. I originally chalked that up to lack of sleep and getting my blood drawn a bit later in the day than I did last time. It all just makes me wonder if I’m being paranoid or if these supplements do more potential harm to us than good.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for this. Since it’s only slightly elevated and it was very normal in the summer, I’m hoping it’s just from very intense training sessions. I’ll retest in a few months. I just started doing bloods this past summer. I wanted to have some baseline numbers.

I also thought it’d be a good idea to run bloods after I finish new supplements to see if they had any impact on my test or lipids (even tho they’re non-hormonal). That’s really the reason for my most recent blood test. I just finished an 8 week run of King Slayer and TopMuscle. I wanted to make sure neither was negatively affecting my health. The supplement business is a bit shady to me, so I wanted to stay on top of it. And to be honest, the fact that I’ve changed nothing about my routine except for those 2 supplements makes me wonder (aside from more intense workouts). Additionally, my cholesterol was the same, as well as everything else, but my test dipped almost 200 points. I originally chalked that up to lack of sleep and getting my blood drawn a bit later in the day than I did last time. It all just makes me wonder if I’m being paranoid or if these supplements do more potential harm to us than good.
man, you're light years ahead of most people here by doing that level of bloodwork for just supps! most guys dont even do them for cycles ha.

A concern for me is the fact that you no say your test dipped by 200pts (first we heard that) and looking back your ALT also went up significantly (although still in range)... to me, that's an indication that something is going on outside of just normal effects of training/diet/hydration. I think I would run bloods soon, maybe 4-6 after your last test since that should be enough time to have normalized from anything and will be a relative baseline (unless you're running more supps right now)

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
man, you're light years ahead of most people here by doing that level of bloodwork for just supps! most guys dont even do them for cycles ha.

A concern for me is the fact that you no say your test dipped by 200pts (first we heard that) and looking back your ALT also went up significantly (although still in range)... to me, that's an indication that something is going on outside of just normal effects of training/diet/hydration. I think I would run bloods soon, maybe 4-6 after your last test since that should be enough time to have normalized from anything and will be a relative baseline (unless you're running more supps right now)
I just started a 2 week break from all supps, except my general health and wellness ones. I was planning on running TopMuscle again (bc I have a ton of it) with Vector this time around instead of King Slayer. I know I should probably drop the TM too, but if my liver enzymes drop during my next test, I’ll either attribute the elevation to KS or randomness. If they don’t drop, I’ll fully think it’s TM. I’d eventually go for another blood test after dropping TM... either way I’ll keep posted with the results bc if one of those two “natty” supps is doing damage to people’s health, they deserve to know.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
48 isnt that high and intense training, even running hard can cause liver enzymes to go up. Ive had enough tests with this and just about 15-20 tests within the past ten years I have slightly elevated liver enzymes. Other things can cause it like certain prescriptions.

I had a doctor, he retired, he didnt buy that weight training causes elevated liver enzymes. He persisted and finally I broke down bought some tudca, (ol brand) , high dosed it at 750 mgs and both alt and ast went back in range. Now I use tudca with orals and afterwards .

having all that said, muscle tearing causes liver enzymes to be elevated . Ive seen some people enzymes go up at least in the 100's .