CLEAN VS DIRTY DIET

Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just a fun semi informative discussion. So obviously super clean is things like chicken breast and broccoli and super dirty is Mcdonalds drive thru. But what about the in between? What exactly does everyone consider clean and dirty foods and what does everyone like to eat that borders the line. Does it change for you when on cycle?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
whilst I get the question and agree that clean and dirty are really common descriptions used I don’t think they are helpful.

Personally I look at two things

- macro breakdown
- usefulness

It’s the second one that’s probably less commonly considered - for me it’s all about bang for my buck (or calorie).

I look at what else I’m getting in terms of micronutrients and how satisfied I’ll be after eating it (I like to eat a lot of food).

Taking the above into account no food is clean or dirty - it either fits my purpose or it doesn’t......that’s the same cutting or bulking.

To try and answer your question a little bit (cause I just realised the above doesn’t at all) foods like dark chocolate, fruit, white potato, fatty meats, peanut butter, cheese etc are my middle ground. All have benefits but not all are easy to fit into my calorie target each day (especially on a cut)

Jmassardo

Jmassardo

Awards
See i work outside for a living, and now that temps are getting hotter i find it hard to have time and even stomach the necessary macros for my goal.

In order to get above 4k calories with chicken rice and broccoli, means i have to eat non stop and sometimes its impossible. So I've added two protein shakes a day to take off 1400 cals. Still km having trouble too.

Gaining muscle is hard enough as it is, but doing so in the summer for me is even harder.

But as soon as I eat "dirty" it seems like the only thing to grow on me is my waist, maybe I have body dysmorphia

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
When eating clean (cleaner than normal) i eat eggs, sausage, bacon, potatos, lean meats, veggies of all sorts, brown rice. I dont ever get really strict with my diet, nor do i track macros considering its never been necessary for me reach my goals. Im not gonna be a food nazi and make myself miserable for vanity. If i was gonna compete in something then yeah ill be more strict. When i want to eat freely, i like french toast, waffles, giant juicy burgers with fries, and my all-time favorite ice cream. Most often root beer floats

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dirty is anything that I drop on the floor or need to wash prior to eating. Clean is everything else.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
See i work outside for a living, and now that temps are getting hotter i find it hard to have time and even stomach the necessary macros for my goal.

In order to get above 4k calories with chicken rice and broccoli, means i have to eat non stop and sometimes its impossible. So I've added two protein shakes a day to take off 1400 cals. Still km having trouble too.

Gaining muscle is hard enough as it is, but doing so in the summer for me is even harder.

But as soon as I eat "dirty" it seems like the only thing to grow on me is my waist, maybe I have body dysmorphia
Trying to hit 4k cal with chicken and broccoli sounds miserable. Why? Replace some chicken with eggs, and some with beef/meat/etc and you’ll add a substantial amount of calories just doing that for a few meals a day. Throwing peanut butter into shakes is great too, and also coconut oil if you really want to maximize calories. Or you can even throw pasteurized eggs into shakes for more calories, and you get to feel like Rocky, but without the chance of getting salmonella.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trying to hit 4k cal with chicken and broccoli sounds miserable. Why? Replace some chicken with eggs, and some with beef/meat/etc and you’ll add a substantial amount of calories just doing that for a few meals a day. Throwing peanut butter into shakes is great too, and also coconut oil if you really want to maximize calories. Or you can even throw pasteurized eggs into shakes for more calories, and you get to feel like Rocky, but without the chance of getting salmonella.
Add coconut oil to rice, yum!

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That actually sounds really good. I like rice and mayo though, so rice and anything is good for me.
I'm half Asian and I am disgusted.. I do enjoy sugar on white rice alone or sunny side up eggs on white rice with ketchup though

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm half Asian and I am disgusted.. I do enjoy sugar on white rice alone or sunny side up eggs on white rice with ketchup though
I don’t do it regularly, but I have done it. I eat so much white rice that sometimes I just have to change it up haha. Rice with hot sauce is always great too.

Jmassardo

Jmassardo

Awards
Maybe it's time to quit fighting Mother Nature. I'm starting to wonder if it's just too hard to gain weight in the summertime.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe it's time to quit fighting Mother Nature. I'm starting to wonder if it's just too hard to gain weight in the summertime.
You could just try replacing some foods you eat with more calorie-sense foods and see how that works if you don’t actually want to “eat more.” Maybe it’ll help. It’s easier to gain weight eating beef or eggs than chicken; more calories.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could just try replacing some foods you eat with more calorie-sense foods and see how that works if you don’t actually want to “eat more.” Maybe it’ll help. It’s easier to gain weight eating beef or eggs than chicken; more calories.
This. Eat fattier cuts of meat and get chicken thighs. Hell, thighs taste better than breasts anyway.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I work labor jobs, last year i dropped 20 lbs in 4-5 weeks doing 70hrs a week as a laborer. I would make my last meal every day fast food, it helped a,little but not much. If i crammed in more calories i probably would have been fine but my hunger wasnt there. Soon as i got laid off the weight was back just as fast. No answers here just sharing a similar experience.

Slapoyjoe

Dude, start with half a pound of overnight oats with berries, plenty of maple syrup and milk. That will sort you out.

Jmassardo

Jmassardo

Awards
Dude, start with half a pound of overnight oats with berries, plenty of maple syrup and milk. That will sort you out.
Half a pound? 226 grams? Just trying to get this right, i already consume 1 cup per shake a day. That would mean make the overnight oats with about 3 cups. How do U make it?

Slapoyjoe

Half a pound? 226 grams? Just trying to get this right, i already consume 1 cup per shake a day. That would mean make the overnight oats with about 3 cups. How do U make it?
Use of milk or almond milk (I use 350 ml per 100 grams), sweetener of your choice (I use maple syrup in a bulk and zero calorie maple and stevia in a cut). Put it all together in a spill-proof container before bed and mix before refrigerating. In the morning it’s ready. I like to put frozen blueberries (cheaper) in a bowl that thaws in the fridge overnight. Great meal.

Jmassardo

Jmassardo

Awards
Use of milk or almond milk (I use 350 ml per 100 grams), sweetener of your choice (I use maple syrup in a bulk and zero calorie maple and stevia in a cut). Put it all together in a spill-proof container before bed and mix before refrigerating. In the morning it’s ready. I like to put frozen blueberries (cheaper) in a bowl that thaws in the fridge overnight. Great meal.
I will give it a try