The Official AM Audio/Video Thread.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Thats right. As i venture into soon buying my first flat panel TV i think technology is moving very fast. Now i know most dont have the time like i do as well as others to research terms, reviews, comapnies, etc for buying new surround sound, recievers, TV, Stereos, Computer, etc..

I hope this thread draws some of the inclined to share info and answer questions...my first one....

I would like a 38" - 42" Flat panel.
I know i want a 1080p

I was eying 2 different Toshibas and a Sony, around $1,200 form Best Buy.

My Q. is, when it lists a contrast ratio, does this just reference the amount of different shades the color is able to be displayed in? (i.e. 16,000:1 - 1,600,000:1 - 10,000:1)

Thanks and i hope this thread goes well.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I used to work for Best Buy back in '03. Rest assured, you will get f'cked over by them.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
costco ftw!. they up it to a 2yr warranty for free... prices are pretty competitive.

Sears is pretty decent too... not sure if you know this or not.. but you can haggle prices at sears. right after x-mas, a friend of mine got a $1800 sharp lcd tv for around $1000. it was right after season so they were just trying to clear it, plus it helps she was a woman.

i hate bestbuy.
they have screwed me over a few times in the past. but ive gotten my $$'s worth by taking advantage of their extended warranty plan on a cell phone that I had 'accidentally' broken a handfull of times whenever a nicer one came out.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
yea, not a big fan of best buy but i use them to look into TVs. I will check out Sears and Costco for sure....but besdies that....any ideas if the ones im looking into are ok?

Thanks for stopping in.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
WOW, just checked out Costco prices, for sure better than the others.
Not as much selection but like above, 2 year warranty and still brand names...awesome.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Ill be checking out everywhere before i buy.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
well this thread was a big hit....haha

Anyways, i changed my mind and decided to go with a smaller TV, why...well my GF has a 40" in her room, roughly 11x12...yea its big and it gets kind of hot in there.

I didnt realize hers was a 40" so i was looking at 47" and such, well my room is only 9x9 haha yea a bit of overkill but i always been a A/V junkie, go big.

I decided to go 37" I just need a bit more help....

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3391319&body=MAIN#detailspecs

If i get this one, i can also get it without the Wii but why not? Wii is fun!
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3887438&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Also, i read many are saying Toshiba is one of the test companies out for LCDs so im leaning that way a bit.

bryan4980

Awards
well this thread was a big hit....haha

Anyways, i changed my mind and decided to go with a smaller TV, why...well my GF has a 40" in her room, roughly 11x12...yea its big and it gets kind of hot in there.

I didnt realize hers was a 40" so i was looking at 47" and such, well my room is only 9x9 haha yea a bit of overkill but i always been a A/V junkie, go big.

I decided to go 37" I just need a bit more help....

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3391319&body=MAIN#detailspecs

If i get this one, i can also get it without the Wii but why not? Wii is fun!
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3887438&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Also, i read many are saying Toshiba is one of the test companies out for LCDs so im leaning that way a bit.
They usually have pretty good prices as they and tiger direct direct have become one. My company buys from them all the time, returns and exchanges always go flawless.