Why do you yawn, when you see people yawn?

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
(Based upon if you are not sleepy, just yawning when you seeing someone do it)

I was told that it was a subconscious act where the human mind thinks that there are a lack of oxygen. And the yawn is an effect of trying to take in more oxygen than the other people/s around you.

True or false or explain.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
(Based upon if you are not sleepy, just yawning when you seeing someone do it)

I was told that it was a subconscious act where the human mind thinks that there are a lack of oxygen. And the yawn is an effect of trying to take in more oxygen than the other people/s around you.

True or false or explain.
3 major theories.

Brain Cooling, to synchronize sleep patterns in a group and Group Herding Behavior.

"New research suggests rather than being a precursor to sleep, the purpose of yawning is to cool the brain so it operates more efficiently and keeps you awake."

or

"Contagious yawning is triggered by empathic mechanisms which function to maintain group vigilance"

or

"Unconscious herding behaviour - a subtle way to communicate to those around us, similar to when flocks of birds take flight at the same time."

I know sometimes I yawn excessively while I workouot, even though I am completely wound up. Perhaps that goes along with the 'brain cooling' theory...

X

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I think it relates to being alert.
Oxygen makes you alert, as does cooling your brain, yawning does both of these.

Why do you want when others yawn? To stay alert! If one person is keeping alert it makes sense for everyone to keep there eyes open! So we can all keep pace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 6
45Caliber Supplements 36
CEDeoudes59 Sports Talk 1