Florida school shooting... Does he deserve the death penalty?

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards

I was thinking of just simply commenting on the semi-similar thread, but I decided that this deserved its own spot, so here we go...

Let's talk about the kid who did it, the one who shot the people. Do you think he deserves the death penalty? If you were the king of the world, would you condemn him with the death penalty?

Me, personally, it's a tough choice. I'm a devoted Christian and I follow the Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments is the one that says we should not murder.

At the same time, the crime committed is just downright rotten. It's one of the most heinous crimes that anyone can ever do. And that's why it's a tough choice for me.

And I don't think mental illness can be used as an excuse either. There are tons of mentally ****ed up weirdos out there and you don't see them murdering anyone.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Today's death penalty? No. It costs tax payers millions of dollars to give someone the death penalty for all the legal fees involved with the process, compared to the what, $30,000/year it takes to house an inmate? Let him suffer alone, unable to do anything forever.

If I had it my way? A couple dollars worth of .223 fired into him would do justice. I'm not religious, but still don't think people deserve to die. It would actually be a tough choice, but I think in the end I would be okay with it.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Today's death penalty? No. It costs tax payers millions of dollars to give someone the death penalty for all the legal fees involved with the process, compared to the what, $30,000 it takes to house an inmate? Let him suffer alone, unable to do anything forever.

If I had it my way? A couple dollars worth of .223 fired into him would do justice. I'm not religious, but still don't think people deserve to die. It would actually be a tough choice, but I think in the end I would be okay with it.
So a 19 year old spends the rest of his life in prison, and it only costs $30,000? Even if he lives another 60 years?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So a 19 year old spends the rest of his life in prison, and it only costs $30,000? Even if he lives another 60 years?
$30,000 per year, edited the original post. Not to mention a death row inmate can cost up to 3x that every year, besides the original legal fees involved with giving someone the death penalty, if I’m remembering correctly.

Chances are he’ll get murdered in jail before those 60 years are up anyways.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-new-investigation-says-florida-spending-over-1-million-death-row-inmate

According to this, they spend around $1M. That means if he lives past 33years in prison, execution will come out cheaper, potentially.
I haven’t looked into it much lately. I wrote a paper on it a couple years ago which is where I’m coming from, so it could be different. Not to mention he is so young, it may end up being cheaper if he lives an average life span.

I remember it being a couple million for legal fees, and a really quick search just said a death row inmate can cost up to $90k/year more than a general population inmate, but that could be factored into that large cost of death penalty as a whole.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I was thinking of just simply commenting on the semi-similar thread, but I decided that this deserved its own spot, so here we go...

Let's talk about the kid who did it, the one who shot the people. Do you think he deserves the death penalty? If you were the king of the world, would you condemn him with the death penalty?

Me, personally, it's a tough choice. I'm a devoted Christian and I follow the Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments is the one that says we should not murder.

At the same time, the crime committed is just downright rotten. It's one of the most heinous crimes that anyone can ever do. And that's why it's a tough choice for me.

And I don't think mental illness can be used as an excuse either. There are tons of mentally ****ed up weirdos out there and you don't see them murdering anyone.
the old testament is very fond of...'an eye for an eye'....if they really want a deterrent bring back public executions and hang his ass in the public square. no hood, let those wanna be shooters see his eyes pop out!!!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best case scenario is he goes to prison and is killed almost immediately. Save everyone money and get rid of the POS.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I'm down with the Christian thing, but you also have to remember God lead his people in battle against their enemies, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't settled by a Red Rover game. Plus, if thou show not kill is taken literally every soldier like myself that has been in Combat is screwed...
Now lets hang that SOB in public, and let all these wanna be serial killers know what happens when you try to act out in the wrong way.

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
yes he probably will get the death penalty

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I'd say bullet to the head....hell I'll send 30rnds of 7.62x39 to help do the job

franks009

Awards
  • Established
Should be a law. If you kill someone intentionally u should die too. End of story

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
poor guy, he just needed some love, he felt empty inside :(

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
poor guy, he just needed some love, he felt empty inside :(
he will get plenty of love...no way liberals are going to let him get death penalty-no way, I just don't see it happening!!!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All I have is:
Something like this movie for all murderers.
https://youtu.be/YnuRpHkg0H8

Broadcast live on television pay per view
100% of the costs go to paying teachers more money

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn good movie, #2 was ok #3 was for shat
They made it on a budget for $50,000 and used one room, just kept changing the colors and patterns.