Workout volume in PPL

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am working on a push pull legs program. Having a hard time deciding ok how much volume to use. For instance push day has me at 2 chest 2 should and 2 tricep exercises... is this enough?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Idk if you want my opinion or not, I'm gonna start prefacing all my posts with this from now on because it seems like everyone on this forum is offended by everyone and everything lately, but I think ppl should do as much volume and or intensity as they can recover from.

That could be 2 exercises with 2 sets to real failure or mechanical failure.

Or it could be high volume 4-5 exercises lots of sets ect.

The more you can do the more you will make progress, given it's not too much to recover from. And most ppl have a lot more recovery ability then they think they do

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Idk if you want my opinion or not, I'm gonna start prefacing all my posts with this from now on because it seems like everyone on this forum is offended by everyone and everything lately, but I think ppl should do as much volume and or intensity as they can recover from.

That could be 2 exercises with 2 sets to real failure or mechanical failure.

Or it could be high volume 4-5 exercises lots of sets ect.

The more you can do the more you will make progress, given it's not too much to recover from. And most ppl have a lot more recovery ability then they think they do
I am going to play with volume to see. Have been doing regular body splits all summer and going to change up. Spent lady week deloading and taking it light.
In terms of recovery with PPL I was considering doing a high rep day and low rep day. Basically a strength focused day and hypertrophy day.
Recovery I would base off of if I am still able to perform with same weight and reps?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I am going to play with volume to see. Have been doing regular body splits all summer and going to change up. Spent lady week deloading and taking it light.
In terms of recovery with PPL I was considering doing a high rep day and low rep day. Basically a strength focused day and hypertrophy day.
Recovery I would base off of if I am still able to perform with same weight and reps?
You can kinda judge on performance. Obviously we can't make improvements every single workout, we have good days and bad days.

But say your hitting 225 for 3x5 on week 1, by weeks 3-4 if you getting 5x5 or have added 5-10lbs then I'd say your recovering.

Or if higher reps and more volume then as long as your seeing a extra rep, set or 5lbs, some kind of progressive overload I'd say it's ok.

I'm not great with the technical jargon.

@Hyde help me explain recovery please 😂

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, say your training ppl 6 days a week, ppl ppl rest and repeat You might find that to be too much. Maybe you could do better with a 5 day split
Monday off
Tuesday pull
Wednesday push
Thursday legs
Friday off
Saturday pull
Sunday push the following week you start with legs.

Or a 4 day split training

M W F ppl, Saturday back to pull
Then the following week continue push legs pull. And so on.

There's lots of ways to auto regulate and find your groove

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Idk if you want my opinion or not, I'm gonna start prefacing all my posts with this from now on because it seems like everyone on this forum is offended by everyone and everything lately
My comfort animal and I are both very offended by your preface.

Consider yourself cancelled! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I changed up my workouts about 5 weeks ago. All main lifts are being done for sets of 12, accessory work for sets of 16, and secondary/isolation work for sets of 20. I do upper/lower 4x/week. All I can say is you adapt quickly to volume. The first two weeks were brutal but I have consistently added
Sets and weight every week. I have one week left then I start my next cycle, same
Rep scheme but some new exercises. I’m Interested to see how this does for my body comp, work capacity, and as a base for my future strength work. For me my volume is somewhat determined by what I can do in about 60-65 minutes of training, but find I am recovering nicely

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am working on a push pull legs program. Having a hard time deciding ok how much volume to use. For instance push day has me at 2 chest 2 should and 2 tricep exercises... is this enough?
Everyone is different, but I'd say that is probably a little low (particularly for chest as shoulders and triceps would be indirectly hit with most chest work anyways).

If doing it multiple times per week it may be a good start though. There are always so many variables and it depends on the person, what you have previously been doing, etc.

Not to get to off topic, but as a general rule of thumb I find 6-8 sets per muscle group per session a good starting point to build to when doing twice per week then splitting it even more and building back up if I want to do even higher frequency and/or volume.

I'd just start where you are and build sets a little at a time and if you can continue to progress keep at it or hold at a certain amount while the gains keep going.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was going to say to OP, just watch a bunch of Renaissance Periodization videos for free on YouTube. Most people fall into 12-20 sets per week per body part for maximum recoverable volume, and the right amount is the right amount. This isn’t counting warmup work.

Everyone is different, but I'd say that is probably a little low (particularly for chest as shoulders and triceps would be indirectly hit with most chest work anyways).

If doing it multiple times per week it may be a good start though. There are always so many variables and it depends on the person, what you have previously been doing, etc.

Not to get to off topic, but as a general rule of thumb I find 6-8 sets per muscle group per session a good starting point to build to when doing twice per week then splitting it even more and building back up if I want to do even higher frequency and/or volume.

I'd just start where you are and build sets a little at a time and if you can continue to progress keep at it or hold at a certain amount while the gains keep going.
Seen in your post here, you like 14-16 sets per part per week. Right in the middle of that range. Just showing OP an example of how that would look for someone.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was going to say to OP, just watch a bunch of Renaissance Periodization videos for free on YouTube. Most people fall into 12-20 sets per week per body part for maximum recoverable volume, and the right amount is the right amount. This isn’t counting warmup work.

Seen in your post here, you like 14-16 sets per part per week. Right in the middle of that range. Just showing OP an example of how that would look for someone.
Ya it can be pretty individual. My tolerances can be pretty high in different body parts depending on other variables so always good to test for yourself. RP has some great resources for that as well.