Unanswered Will Romanian Deadlifts help me sumo deadlift more?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right now I am recovering from an si joint injury. It wasn't actually caused by deadlifts, but by bad posture sitting on my chair. I PC game a lot and hence am in my chair a lot. Anyway, I went from standard deadlifts to hybrid sumos awhile ago and I got up to 385 hybrid sumo for a set of 3, but I keep stalling around 365-385 for a set of 2-3. I was able to deadlift 405 a few times, but only for one rep. I like to keep sumo reps low, as when I lift heavy with too many reps 1. the bar slips a lot more and 2. My CNS can only take a few heavy reps, even if I lower the weight. I'm a bit out of shape and have slightly high blood pressure. I had to give up coffee. Anyway, I was wondering if I can train doing Romanian Deadlifts, if it would help carry over to hybrid sumo deadlifts AND help with my posture to prevent future injury while deadlifting, or just simply sitting on my chair.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I switched from standard deadlifts to hybrid sumos, because it takes a lot of stress off my back. I feel in almost entirely in my legs when I hybrid sumo deadlift, UNLESS I already have an injury prior to deadlifting. My goal is to be able to hybrid sumo deadlift 405 2-3 times consistently, or semi-consistently.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fundamentally I think you should start from the bottom. Really reinforce your hip hinge. The carryover will not only optimize your deadlift but improve it as well.

I dont think it would be my first of second choice to improve a Sumo style deadlift. Will it help due to the muscles involved yes, but there are just better options.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fundamentally I think you should start from the bottom. Really reinforce your hip hinge. The carryover will not only optimize your deadlift but improve it as well.

I dont think it would be my first of second choice to improve a Sumo style deadlift. Will it help due to the muscles involved yes, but there are just better options.
What are those better options?