Whiskey

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Past few years I've been trying to diversify my tastes in whiskey. My latest finds that I really like have been BSB (Brown Sugar Bourbon), Oilfire and just in the past couple weeks, I found Pecan Praline. What whiskeys do you guys like?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bulleit is the best bang for your buck - best taste/quality at a reasonable price. I also like Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare.
I like all of those. I’m a huge fan of everything Buffalo Trace Distillery makes. If you’re a fan of Woodford, try Woodford Double Oaked. It’s heaven in a bottle. For a good every day pour try Old Forester Signature 100 proof. Really tasty and is about $35 a bottle depending on where you live. Eagle Rare is probably the best all around bourbon along with Bulleit. Bulleit is just a little cheaper and normally easier to find.

Other favorites (most in this list are very hard to find)

Blanton’s
Elmer T Lee
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
George T Stagg
Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B
Blood Oath
Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel
Henry McKenna 10 year
Any of the Wellers

Last edited:
KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not a big whiskey person myself, but my friend is a whiskey enthusiast and he allways let's me taste all kinds of whiskeys and the best all time for me has been 'The Glenlivet French Oak 15 Year Old Single Malt'. Very fruity and soft I'd portray. If you like stronger and smokey, then 'Smokehead single malt' is a nice one.

uforce

uforce

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
when you guys say these are tasty, is that referring to how well the alcohol taste is masked? lol. i’m not a big drinker but want something stronger that tastes good versus the standard taste good beverage that requires many bottles or cans to get you there. lol

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i love Glenlivet ..The Macallan - can get pricey but i have had a glass of $60k bottle.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
when you guys say these are tasty, is that referring to how well the alcohol taste is masked? lol. i’m not a big drinker but want something stronger that tastes good versus the standard taste good beverage that requires many bottles or cans to get you there. lol
What I would consider tasty is that there's other taste/tastes with the alcohol. So kind of what you're saying, but I don't consider it so that the alcohol taste is masked per se. The alcohol provides more of a feel to it in my mind than a taste. But as with anything that's a matter of taste, this is just my pov on the matter.

Last edited:

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not a big whiskey person myself, but my friend is a whiskey enthusiast and he allways let's me taste all kinds of whiskeys and the best all time for me has been 'The Glenlivet French Oak 15 Year Old Single Malt'. Very fruity and soft I'd portray. If you like stronger and smokey, then 'Smokehead single malt' is a nice one.
Scotch is in a different world of its own!

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i’m waiting to be bashed and called a pv$$y lol. thanks for the explanation.
lol its one of those taste either you love it or you cant handle it

for a longest time i was a vodka drinker ( well young age .. as i grow older i went towards whiskey )

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i’m waiting to be bashed and called a pv$$y lol. thanks for the explanation.
Hey, I drink what I like and don't care what others think. If I'm in the mood for a "girlie" drink, I'll get one. I'm the one drinking it not them. 😉 I won't bash anyone for drinking what they like........unless it's Keystone or similar watered down goat piss beer. Lol!

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey, I drink what I like and don't care what others think. If I'm in the mood for a "girlie" drink, I'll get one. I'm the one drinking it not them. I won't bash anyone for drinking what they like........unless it's Keystone or similar watered down goat piss beer. Lol!
Now there you go judging people! J/K. I’m the same way. I don’t care what people drink and they shouldn’t care what I drink.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only drink 10 year rip van winkle

in my dreams lol
‘My normal ones are usually larceny, woodford preserve and honey jack. I make old fashioned usually

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

in my dreams lol
‘My normal ones are usually larceny, woodford preserve and honey jack. I make old fashioned usually
I like both old fashions and manhattans. But the manhattans have to be made with Carpano Antica vermouth and Luxardo cherries.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The premium quality spirits are more filtered and more pure, that undesirable alcohol taste you’re thinking of is found in a lot of the entry level commercial spirits. Compare the cheapest vodka in a plastic bottle to a grey goose or kettle one and you’ll see a world of difference from the purity alone.

In terms of the tasty flavors, there are different things they do when brewing and aging in the barrels to create unique flavors. I really like to try new exotic coffees and barbecue sauces, so the craft spirits and beers are right there too. Fun to compare the flavors and pair them with different foods.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

in my dreams lol
I’ve entered a Christmas raffle every year for the past 5 years to win a chance to buy a bottle of Pappy, still waiting to see what all the hype is!

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got lucky and scored a bottle of George T Stagg at retail price in 2019. That’s some good stuff.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For those wondering....

I love my whiskey just as much as the next one. However, there is simply no way I could EVER justify buying this..

I'm an old fashioned man..

I haven't seen anybody mention Wellers yet. Good stuff. Screenshot_20210115-191122_Chrome.jpeg

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For those wondering....

I love my whiskey just as much as the next one. However, there is simply no way I could EVER justify buying this..

I haven't seen anybody mention Wellers yet. Good stuff. View attachment 201231
I wouldn’t pay secondary price for Pappy’s if I won the lottery. I mentioned Weller in my first post. I’ve got a few bottles of Antique 107 and Special Reserve.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those wondering....

I haven't seen anybody mention Wellers yet. Good stuff. View attachment 201231
I tend to stick to the ones under $50. Lol!

My problem is that I don't tend to like the same thing every time so I have quite an assortment in my cabinet for whatever mood I'm in.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

My problem is that I don't tend to like the same thing every time so I have quite an assortment in my cabinet for whatever mood I'm in.
I'm EXACTLY like you!! I keep it under $50 (most times), and always look for something different.
My pantry is better stocked now than ever before.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm EXACTLY like you!! I keep it under $50 (most times), and always look for something different.
I've got some bottles of stuff that were given to me that I will probably never drink any more of them. Stillhouse and Kansas are two of them. Didn't like them at all. Very harsh and not much if any flavor (other than straight alcohol) at all.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've got some bottles of stuff that were given to me that I will probably never drink any more of them. Stillhouse and Kansas are two of them. Didn't like them at all. Very harsh and not much if any flavor (other than straight alcohol) at all.
maybe donate to a homeless shelter?

:p

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have never tried Whiskey ???

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Scotch is in a different world of its own!
Yeah to be fair the whiskeys I drink are mostly Scotch, since I'm in Europe. I don't think I've ever had a proper bourbon actually. Only Jim Beam and JD (which is not a bourbon to be exact) and those are mainly for getting hammered 😁 + those can be mixed with coke. Mixing a Glenlivet with coke would be a crime or so I'm told, lol.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah to be fair the whiskeys I drink are mostly Scotch, since I'm in Europe. I don't think I've ever had a proper bourbon actually. Only Jim Beam and JD (which is not a bourbon to be exact) and those are mainly for getting hammered + those can be mixed with coke. Mixing a Glenlivet with coke would be a crime or so I'm told, lol.
Yeah mixing good bourbon with coke is a crime too! Don’t base bourbon on the taste of Jim Beam. You should be able to find some good bourbons in Europe.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah mixing good bourbon with coke is a crime too! Don’t base bourbon on the taste of Jim Beam. You should be able to find some good bourbons in Europe.
Yeah and just to clarify by "not having a proper bourbon" I meant that the ones I've had are not a proper way to get to know what bourbones are like. I will have to do some research what bourbones we have here and what should be good ones. Too bad I'm kind of doing this athletic and healthy living stuff right now, when I would actually just want to taste drinks and get wasted.. 😄

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah and just to clarify by "not having a proper bourbon" I meant that the ones I've had are not a proper way to get to know what bourbones are like. I will have to do some research what bourbones we have here and what should be good ones. Too bad I'm kind of doing this athletic and healthy living stuff right now, when I would actually just want to taste drinks and get wasted..
Look for Blanton’s and any of the Weller. Years ago American distilleries began shipping bourbon to Europe and Asia since it had lost its place in the US and a lot of the distilleries were purchased by Asian companies. There’s some lines of bourbon that are only found in Asia and Europe. Happy hunting man.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There’s a lot of great tasting bourbons at $50 and under. Knob Creek 9 and 12 year are two good ones around the $50 mark. I mentioned in another post that Old Forester Signature 100 proof is a great tasting bourbon and it’s around $30. One of my absolute favorite everyday pours.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Look for Blanton’s and any of the Weller. Years ago American distilleries began shipping bourbon to Europe and Asia since it had lost its place in the US and a lot of the distilleries were purchased by Asian companies. There’s some lines of bourbon that are only found in Asia and Europe. Happy hunting man.
Yeah I just saw that Jim Beam is now owned by a Japanese company as I Googled to see if Jim Beam is actually a bourbon. A funny fact also learned today is most of the barrels where scoth whiskeys are made are barrels that were used to make bourbons and shipped from America. Since only old enough already used barrels are used in making the scotch whiskeys and bourbons are matured for 4-6 years typically. Some trivia to impress my whiskey enthusiast friends or when convincing someone that this is a sophisticated hobby and not just about getting hammered, lol.

Last edited:

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I just saw that Jim Beam is now owned by a Japanese company as I Googled to see if Jim Beam is actually a bourbon. A funny fact also learned today is most of the barrels where scoth whiskeys are made are barrels that were used to make bourbons and shipped from America. Since only old enough already used barrels are used in making the scotch whiskeys and bourbons are matured for 4-6 years typically. Some trivia to impress my whiskey enthusiast friends or when convincing someone that this is a sofisticated hobby and not just about getting hammered, lol.
I got into Bourbon about 4 years ago. The history of it really interests me. One of the guidelines of making bourbon is the barrels can’t be reused. Scotch distilleries and wineries buy the used barrels to develop other taste profiles. Yeah I like to use the cover of a sophisticated hobby so I don’t feel like I have a drinking problem! Lol.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Same here I usually stay around $50 or less. Once and a while I’ll spend $75ish and go back to my normal ones for a lot less.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same here I usually stay around $50 or less. Once and a while I’ll spend $75ish and go back to my normal ones for a lot less.
The other supervisor in my area at work and I will exchange samples of new stuff we try. He's given me some of the $100+ that he's gotten and all of those didn't seem any better to me than the $30-$50 stuff I've had. Flavors were good and all but not a twice the price good. He gave me a gift set of Maker's Mark 46 for Christmas and I wasn't that impressed with it.
I'm currently trying to do a recomp and so I've given up eating desserts and most sweets. For that reason, I bought a Mudpie flavored whiskey to slightly appease my sweet tooth. Lol! It's not overly sweet but has a good chocolate and coffee taste that works for me.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
The other supervisor in my area at work and I will exchange samples of new stuff we try. He's given me some of the $100+ that he's gotten and all of those didn't seem any better to me than the $30-$50 stuff I've had. Flavors were good and all but not a twice the price good. He gave me a gift set of Maker's Mark 46 for Christmas and I wasn't that impressed with it.
I'm currently trying to do a recomp and so I've given up eating desserts and most sweets. For that reason, I bought a Mudpie flavored whiskey to slightly appease my sweet tooth. Lol! It's not overly sweet but has a good chocolate and coffee taste that works for me.
Chocolate and coffee taste that packs a punch of whiskey sounds delightful.

uforce

uforce

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
where do you guys buy your whiskey? i’m interested in the $30-50 range

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My wife’s uncle brought a $1000 bottle of wine for xmas and I enjoyed my $15 bottles a lot more. More money doesn’t always mean better.
‘I do whiskey with bitters and some surcalose - sweetens it nicely without the calories. I also have flavored bitters like chocolate, cherry and so on

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have any of you tried this? It looks and sounds rather intriguing.
View attachment 201232
I was able to get a couple sample bottles of this. At first, I thought it was good. Could definitely taste the agave in it and it really took away any bitterness. The coffee flavor was strong. Could really tell it was a rather dark roast. After the third sip of it, I was done. Glad that I didn't buy the big bottle. Nobody else that I talked to that has tried it was very impressed either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Terry921

Terry921

Awards
I really loved drinking whiskey at home before starting to do sport actively. Now I drink it rarely.

Last edited: