What's Your Cutting Routine?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What do you change when you cut? How much cardio do you add (if any)? What's your caloric deficit? Do you pyramid? I'll go first to kinda highlight the kinda details I'm looking for. I've done this off and on for 12 years so I know how to get into it but I always start off cutting waaaay too hard first.

Normal Lifting is usually strength based 5/3/1 squat/press/pull (3-4 days a week. 5 if I can get it in).
Almost no cardio except maybe a little warm up
I eat clean, but don't count calories.

Cutting:
Strength falls off fast so I switch to more of a hypertrophy based bodybuilding routine. I will still start with the big lifts, but instead of killing myself on 5/3/1 I leave gas in the tank for more accessory work.
I add a fair amount of cardio. 30+ minute sessions always on an incline (treadmill) that is split about 50/50 between LISS and HIIT.

frequency at the gym is about the same but with the added cardio.

Eating: the food I'm eating mostly stays the same but I ironically add some carbs mostly, decrease fats (because I'm now aware). Alcohol: less beer, if any. more likely to have shots. no wine. I do count and track my daily calories.

Cheats: I try to save myself and only have one good cheat a week (like date night with my wife) it usually ends up being two. family dinner night, and then date night. However even at the family dinner night it is very reserved, if they are having tacos, I have taco salad. if my wife and I go to a nice dinner we ask for no bread, or substitute mashed potatoes with veggies so we can allow a cocktail.

to be honest I feel like actually tracking my daily caloric intake makes it all much easier because I know what I can afford to 'cheat' with later....

that's just me. looking for other peoples plans schedules etc to see where I could bump things up/improve. I like to make use of weekend gym sessions because mon-fri I commute 3 hours and it's been getting harder lately. (Seattle/Tacoma traffic has exploded)