What state do you recommend to live and why?

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey guys so I’m considering relocating somewhere in the US. I’m jobless (gi bill college student) so I’m looking at states to apply in. I’m in New Jersey now and hate it. I have been quite a few places but only lived in a few states. Would love to hear people’s reasonings for or against a certain state or part of a state. 🤷‍♂️

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Florida. Because it’s mostly warm and and we have some weird f*ckers here.

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
I think this would largely depend on what fields of work you are looking to work in. If that isnt of any concern, then it would largely depend on what your lifestyle needs/wants and expenses are. I would not suggest western NC or eastern TN unless you love mountains and mostly factory work.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
anywhere but NY

one word TAXES
two words idiot GOVERNOR

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Taxes suck in jersey too man. I pay like $650 a month in property tax 😢
fckin horrible .. im western NY so like syracuse, - buffalo area and on a 350k house my parents pay $1,200-1,400 month .. fckin ridiculous.

good thread, if it wasnt for family, i can see my self moving to Tenn

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wyoming. cheap land and a very small population. lots of Big Game hunting and fishing to be had. long cold winters are awesome for snowmobiling~ nice summers and the Cheyenne Frontier Days !

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It all depends on what is important to you and what you enjoy to do. Most places have their downsides, some more than others, so you need to balance it out. That being said, the only places I would say to not move are California as a whole, or Portland.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Texas for my family. Originally from PA, but due to work reasons was 'stuck in the Bay' for 12+ years out in the strange rich man's land of Silicon Valley / San Jose. Former US chip capital of the world. One of the last people to get an 'affordable' $400k townhouse in Sunnyvale, CA circa 2013... before Apple/Google bought up everything pre C19.

Converted my townhouse in CA to a real 5-bed house in TX with a 1/4 acre of heaven in 2020. Career shift. And people are NEIGHBORS here, there's actual community fabric. Kids are in good classic liberal-arts & sciences charter schools (where virtues still matter, not just 'outcome based skills'). CA, I felt like I was fighting sociopath techies + foreign low-level gangs... all doing mass package door theft under 'catch and release laws' to feed higher level crime rings. Pretty bad there at times, glad I left.

Don't get me wrong pre <2010 all the way to the 1990's California for the 5-W's (work, women, weed, wine, weather) was pretty dope. I'm originally from PA, but CA is now a richman's playground with strange politics at times. TX has it's far-right quirks too, but I find a 'melting pot' exists more here than in CA; I never felt 'home' with my neighbors as I do in TX and it's there folks from all over here... No real fabric in the CA Bay Area experience and I worked in some high end companies met a lot of individually awesome people even got married, did start the fam there... but that was not sustainable, my kids will grow up as Texans.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Taxes suck in jersey too man. I pay like $650 a month in property tax 😢
About the same here in the Land of Lincoln. Worst part is we pay that for a house we bought for 129,000 about ten years ago. Ya do the math on that one.

This thread should be renamed which states to avoid like the plague........................................here's a hint: look at who has controlled the large cities in any state for the last 50 or so years, usually tied to high crime and high taxes.......................................you will see a pattern as obvious as the color of a cloudless sky!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I live in the north east too and honestly I would want to move south and maybe west as well. New Hampshire with the whole free state project seems pretty awesome, but the weather is tougher than where we are at.

If it were me I would pick a few places of interest and then start comparing them point by point. Weather, cost of living, ease of travel, crime, taxes, work prospects, etc.

Granted I am not the type to wing it with something like that.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
fckin horrible .. im western NY so like syracuse, - buffalo area and on a 350k house my parents pay $1,200-1,400 month .. fckin ridiculous.

good thread, if it wasnt for family, i can see my self moving to Tenn
I have some family in NC, NH, MAINE, NY
I live in the north east too and honestly I would want to move south and maybe west as well. New Hampshire with the whole free state project seems pretty awesome, but the weather is tougher than where we are at.

If it were me I would pick a few places of interest and then start comparing them point by point. Weather, cost of living, ease of travel, crime, taxes, work prospects, etc.

Granted I am not the type to wing it with something like that.
Some of my family live in NH and love it

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
An elevated state, so that you may look down upon your glorious kingdom.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Alright guys so been talking with my wife and we are highly considering Vegas honestly. I’m job hunting there and a few other places so we will see what happens. Arizona is another option my wife specifically is interested in however, Vegas seems like a better job market.

Airmaniac

Airmaniac

Awards
I lived in Las Vegas for 8 years and I loved it! You have my vote. I applied to ASU last year too as I liked Arizona. Overall, I enjoy most deserts. This more than likely makes me the minority.

Another place I throughly enjoyed through my moving around is New Braunfels, Texas. Either way, Good Luck and safe travels!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Colorado because family is here and I've grown up living an active outdoor lifestyle. We live near the mountains, a couple of lakes, and a lot of mtn bike trails. We used to love going into Denver since it's only about 15-20 min away and we love going out to dinner and stuff, but holy crap it's become a **** house with all the homeless and yet being crazy expensive.