What Do I Add to a Kettlebell to Make it Less Slippery? Chalk?

U

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 32 kilogram kettlebell, and am enjoying using it.

Yet, either the oil from the skin on my hands, soap, etc. it making it slippery.

1. What can I put on it to make it less slippery?

I have never used lifting chalk, etc.

2. Any other substances, such as baby powder, baking soda, etc.?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
did you try washing your hands and the bell? if it's clean and your hands are clean it shouldn't be slippery unless you are sweating.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes, using lifting chalk while lifting weights will indeed absorb the moisture and allow you to more safely execute your training.

Baby powder is what you would use to make something slick/slippery. Like on the thighs while maxing out on deadlift.

Baking soda is what you would drink in your water preWO to buffer lactic acid and enhance endurance in said kettlebell session. I can’t remember the dosage so you’ll have to Google that.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I might suggest wrapping the handle in medical tape, the cloth-based stuff, or the more "elastic" tape they sell in sporting good stores.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. Is there a proper name for this "lifting chalk"?

In China, there is no Amazon. We just use TaoBao. So, I'll try to translate "lifting chalk" into Chinese.

I think the chemical is pure "magnesium carbonate." As a teacher, we have lots of chalkboard chalk. But, that seems something different.

“Lifting chalk” or “weightlifting chalk” will probably be good search terms. China has the best weightlifters in the world at the lowest weightclasses; chalk is surely available easily there.

It is indeed magnesium carbonate. You might also search “magnesium carbonate blocks”.

U

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
“Lifting chalk” or “weightlifting chalk” will probably be good search terms. China has the best weightlifters in the world at the lowest weightclasses; chalk is surely available easily there.

It is indeed magnesium carbonate. You might also search “magnesium carbonate blocks”.
Thanks. I'll get right on it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I might suggest wrapping the handle in medical tape, the cloth-based stuff, or the more "elastic" tape they sell in sporting good stores.
or get some tennis grip tape....it worked really well on my tennis racket to keep it from coming out of my hand when really sweaty-no reason it shouldn't work on kettlebell bars....tennis warehouse has it for $1.99

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I also like gymnastics grips at times or I can tear quarter sized holes in the middle of my hand with enough rips. makes the grip a little larger but less slippery.