Welcome To Anabolic Minds! Introduction Thread!

Leary942

Awards
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker who's finally got around to making an account. I didn't see this thread when I signed up last night. I noticed the post I made never got published. All for the better I guess, I made it a little too long talking about my history, my current diet, stacks, etc. Condensed version...I lost a bunch of weight after high-school which pushed me into these corners of the internet, reading other people's testimonies and trying to learn new stuff. Look forward to talking with everyone. My current specs are Age 29, 6 foot 3in, 224lbs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker who's finally got around to making an account. I didn't see this thread when I signed up last night. I noticed the post I made never got published. All for the better I guess, I made it a little too long talking about my history, my current diet, stacks, etc. Condensed version...I lost a bunch of weight after high-school which pushed me into these corners of the internet, reading other people's testimonies and trying to learn new stuff. Look forward to talking with everyone. My current specs are Age 29, 6 foot 3in, 224lbs.
Welcome to AM

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey everyone,

My name is Chris, I've been using this site as a reference for quite a while and recently became a pretty serious lurker, thought I'd introduce myself in case I actually want to contribute somewhere!

I am an Army veteran (6 years 3bct 82nd) spent most of that time as a sniper, got to do some pretty cool stuff. Afterwards I was a professional brewer and distiller for a few years, got laid off in 2020 and went back to school and now I'm a software engineer. Besides the gym, I brew, make mead and wine, cook A LOT, play video games and do a **** load of hiking and fishing (I live off the AT in NC)

I've been lifting off and on since I was 17 (am 33 now), but took the entirety of '22 off and lost pretty much everything. I got very serious about it again January 17th '23 and had a massive comeback of my strength. With that was a vow to myself to finally start doing some strongman comps, actually did my first about a month and a half ago. Current goals are a 600lb deadlift, lose a bit of body fat, and generally increase overall endurance and health. I dabbled in a few products from Hi-Tech, and had some good results, but that name seems to be fighting words around here, I've dropped them all together except their Liver support lol. Black Lion products are a large part of why I'm here now, I have the Father Figure stack in the mail and look forward to having a positive experience.

I discovered 531 in April and fell in love, works very well for me physically and my schedule. Current lifts (tested 1RM):
Bench - 290lb
Squat - 390
OHP (strict) - 215
Deadlift - 515
I'm 5'10" and weighed in at 218 this morning, I'd guesstimate myself in the upper 20%s of body fat.

Anyway, thanks for having me, I've rambled enough, I hope to be able to contribute in some way here!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey everyone,

My name is Chris, I've been using this site as a reference for quite a while and recently became a pretty serious lurker, thought I'd introduce myself in case I actually want to contribute somewhere!

I am an Army veteran (6 years 3bct 82nd) spent most of that time as a sniper, got to do some pretty cool stuff. Afterwards I was a professional brewer and distiller for a few years, got laid off in 2020 and went back to school and now I'm a software engineer. Besides the gym, I brew, make mead and wine, cook A LOT, play video games and do a **** load of hiking and fishing (I live off the AT in NC)

I've been lifting off and on since I was 17 (am 33 now), but took the entirety of '22 off and lost pretty much everything. I got very serious about it again January 17th '23 and had a massive comeback of my strength. With that was a vow to myself to finally start doing some strongman comps, actually did my first about a month and a half ago. Current goals are a 600lb deadlift, lose a bit of body fat, and generally increase overall endurance and health. I dabbled in a few products from Hi-Tech, and had some good results, but that name seems to be fighting words around here, I've dropped them all together except their Liver support lol. Black Lion products are a large part of why I'm here now, I have the Father Figure stack in the mail and look forward to having a positive experience.

I discovered 531 in April and fell in love, works very well for me physically and my schedule. Current lifts (tested 1RM):
Bench - 290lb
Squat - 390
OHP (strict) - 215
Deadlift - 515
I'm 5'10" and weighed in at 218 this morning, I'd guesstimate myself in the upper 20%s of body fat.

Anyway, thanks for having me, I've rambled enough, I hope to be able to contribute in some way here!
Glad to have another strength enthusiast on the board!

United States Strongman and Strongman Corporation are going to be the 2 primary strongman federations for amateur competition you’ll be looking at in America for events near you.

USS tends to have a bit lighter weights per weightclass. They also have a 198 & 220lb class, while in Strongman Corp you’d be in 231 - and that is a very aggressive class, weight-wise, so it’s more of something you would aspire towards in time as strength progresses. I don’t want to dissuade you from doing SC events ever, as they are great, but realistically they are a fairly high bar of entry if you don’t want to zero most events.

Try to find a gym/group you can drive to once or twice a month to train some events with. You need to actually lift stones and carry things if you want to get better at them, and you will have a blast. You can order things like farmers handles and sandbags to train at home or your local gym pretty affordably from companies like Cerberus, Titan, Rogue.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
in Strongman Corp you’d be in 231 - and that is a very aggressive class
Thanks for all of this! I don't have the weights in front of me, isn't the next weight down 198? I remember it's a big jump, I'm not sure with my build that I'd be able to maintain the strength I have at 20-30lb lighter. The last comp I did was just for fun, non-sanctioned, more like a meet I suppose, but it was so much fun and a wonderful learning opportunity. I actually signed up for a "noob friendly" event in, I think, Ft Mill, SC last year but had some family stuff that got in the way. I recognize I really need to boost my numbers to be competitive, but the community is so great. On the other hand, I'm on the TN border, and that's quite the trek lol. Actually signed up for an even in CLT St. Paddys day that came up on Iron Podium, stoked for that one, but working to stay under 220lb as that's the weight cutoff for that one.

Try to find a gym/group you can drive to once or twice a month
I'm in a tiny mountain town near Boone, NC, I've actually been buying implements to use at the gym we have in town (12" log, axle, sandbags) but I have taken a few opportunities to make the trek to Charlotte, >2 hours away, to hit a strongman themed gym down there. Mostly for the implements, but it's such a badass community. They have stones and circus dumb bells I can mess with. Eventually, hopefully this year, I'll be able to outfit my own area with whatever I need/want.

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. I’m a USMC vet and live in NC as well.
Thank you as well! Cheers from the mountains, it's freaking cold.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for all of this! I don't have the weights in front of me, isn't the next weight down 198? I remember it's a big jump, I'm not sure with my build that I'd be able to maintain the strength I have at 20-30lb lighter. The last comp I did was just for fun, non-sanctioned, more like a meet I suppose, but it was so much fun and a wonderful learning opportunity. I actually signed up for a "noob friendly" event in, I think, Ft Mill, SC last year but had some family stuff that got in the way. I recognize I really need to boost my numbers to be competitive, but the community is so great. On the other hand, I'm on the TN border, and that's quite the trek lol. Actually signed up for an even in CLT St. Paddys day that came up on Iron Podium, stoked for that one, but working to stay under 220lb as that's the weight cutoff for that one.

I'm in a tiny mountain town near Boone, NC, I've actually been buying implements to use at the gym we have in town (12" log, axle, sandbags) but I have taken a few opportunities to make the trek to Charlotte, >2 hours away, to hit a strongman themed gym down there. Mostly for the implements, but it's such a badass community. They have stones and circus dumb bells I can mess with. Eventually, hopefully this year, I'll be able to outfit my own area with whatever I need/want.

I’m right at the foothills so I’m feeling some of that cold as well! It feels way colder than 49 degrees right now

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m right at the foothills so I’m feeling some of that cold as well! It feels way colder than 49 degrees right now
I hear that, high of 31 today at my place. I'll be moving down to the Morganton area soon, not looking forward to the summers down there, but at least most places have AC anymore.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hear that, high of 31 today at my place. I'll be moving down to the Morganton area soon, not looking forward to the summers down there, but at least most places have AC anymore.
I couldn’t live without AC in the Carolina heat! I’m in the Winston-Salem area.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I couldn’t live without AC in the Carolina heat! I’m in the Winston-Salem area.
Winston is awesome, so much great beer and food. I was almost the head brewer at Foothills in 2018, but I'm glad that didn't work out in hindsight. I appreciate you reaching out, most of this community seems pretty awesome. Haven't used a forum outside of Reddit in ages lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

There might be a 198 subclass in Strongman Corp, so if there is that would be great. They have expanded some subclasses at Nationals in recent years.

Yeah more than the implements too, the community and things you’ll learn about specifics will help you advance much faster. Things like best ways to pick things up, strategy for different events, better shoes for certain tasks, and also just seeing what the training looks like.

It’s another hour away, but Spider Strength Gym in Raleigh may be a good resource for you someday. James Deffinbaugh is the owner. He’s won ASM 231 and helps put on a lot of Strongman Corp’s national level events lately.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s another hour away, but Spider Strength Gym in Raleigh may be a good resource for you someday.
Yeah that's over 3.5 hours from the house lol, but the wife and I have been looking for an excuse to hit Raleigh for a weekend! I just found your log, definitely going to give you a follow. I see we are the same height but you definitely have weight on me, I come from being a scrawny little 155lb guy in the army, adjusting to even 220 took quite a bit of focus maintaining and improving tendon strength and joint mobility. I'm going to start a log here next Monday to get away from Reddit I think, will definitely post some body pictures looking for some advice and help.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that's over 3.5 hours from the house lol, but the wife and I have been looking for an excuse to hit Raleigh for a weekend! I just found your log, definitely going to give you a follow. I see we are the same height but you definitely have weight on me, I come from being a scrawny little 155lb guy in the army, adjusting to even 220 took quite a bit of focus maintaining and improving tendon strength and joint mobility. I'm going to start a log here next Monday to get away from Reddit I think, will definitely post some body pictures looking for some advice and help.
Tag me when you make it!

At a certain point, the eating can become the hardest part. I was 160lbs skinny fat in high school. I weighed in at 273lbs Saturday morning before hitting a new max benchpress.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tag me when you make it!

At a certain point, the eating can become the hardest part. I was 160lbs skinny fat in high school. I weighed in at 273lbs Saturday morning before hitting a new max benchpress.
Lol maybe we do have a similar build then, 170 in high school but played track and football. Gratz on the PR, I've always had a weak bench, I only started OHP's when I started 531, it was the key ingredient I was missing in my life. Wendler is a comedic dick, but I sure do appreciate the programming. I wanted to start this log yesterday, but my body decided I'm sick af, however I have some supps coming in at the end of this week so maybe it was meant to be shrug

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Winston is awesome, so much great beer and food. I was almost the head brewer at Foothills in 2018, but I'm glad that didn't work out in hindsight. I appreciate you reaching out, most of this community seems pretty awesome. Haven't used a forum outside of Reddit in ages lol.
Yeah Winston is becoming a small Asheville in a sense. I love me some Sexual Chocolate especially the bourbon barrel finished one.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes I do lol I recognize that puppy in the pic lol
Welcome Brother..
Sorry still pretty messed up about Push50..
Hurts like Hell..we talked about getting a beer one day over some laughs..
We have to help his grieving Wife..
I've been so lucky..5 close calls Now..
I honestly think, neither God nor the Devil wants Me..
Sadly..Dale C and Push were 100x the Man I could ever Be..not fair..!!
God..I would trade..!!
Z...

GeneLifts

GeneLifts

Awards
Welcome Brother..
Sorry still pretty messed up about Push50..
Hurts like Hell..we talked about getting a beer one day over some laughs..
We have to help his grieving Wife..
I've been so lucky..5 close calls Now..
I honestly think, neither God nor the Devil wants Me..
Sadly..Dale C and Push were 100x the Man I could ever Be..not fair..!!
God..I would trade..!!
Z...
Yeah I heard about that I'll talk to him a few times push was a pretty nice guy I didn't talk to him much but he was pretty nice what I did talk to him I never got to meet Dale but man God has you around for a reason it's best just not to fight the reason and Just Go With It you're the strongest mother fucker I know