Want to Start from Scratch; Best Self-Education Resources?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

This summer break, I plan to hunker down and watch a lot of videos, read, and basically start my bodybuilding goals from scratch.

My goal is still the same, body re-composition: lose fat, without losing energy, strength, muscle mass.

1. What videos or textbooks do you recommend?

I know "Katch and McArdle" did a great job with exercise physiology.

"Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" is probably the best fat loss book, with an active forum to match.

2. Anything else?

I really am getting into Rick Kaselj "Unlock Your Hips and Hamstrings".

3. In my current model, achieving goals comes from these steps, in this order or priority:

a. Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals
b. Appropriate Diet for Your Goals
c. Mobility Routine/Dynamic Warm-Up
d. Resistance Training
e. Cardiovascular Training
f. Consistency

People have written entire books about just one of these, but it is important for all these to work together.

4. Any opinions, etc.?

I know, I think too much and ask too many questions. I appreciate everyone patiently explaining what I must do, and why I must do it.

ChilledFaith

Awards
For what it's worth, I tend to go about learning 3 ways. 1. Read books on the subject, which it seems you already do. Honestly, go to a bookstore, find books that fit what you want to learn and search the reviews and see how they are. 2. Videos, there are a ton of terrible people for bodybuilding/fatloss/general fitness on youtube, but there are also some very good ones. It's not exactly hard to tell who's who. Let me know if you want some recommendations. 3. Look at the research. An easy way to learn is simply to google "Studies on ..." Let's say setting goals when weightlifting. So I'd search "studies/research on setting goals when weightlifting." Plenty comes up. These are pretty basic, but it's how I go about it!

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think Mike Israetels Renaissance Periodization YT channel is pretty good.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Derek from more plates more dates
YouTube channel